Magic switches to Ludwig?!?!?

WRiddell83

DrumnMan2004 and LancerLady,

Thank you for your interest in The Magic Percussion section.  Our new management has done a wonderful job this year to help set The Magic up for a successful summer.  All the way from the wonderful volunteers we have had at each camp (I have to give it up to our cooks, we eat pretty phat) to the decisions made by the board for instrumentation needs.  Seeing as how neither of you are a part of the organization, and were not there to see what equipment we did or did not have, and what kind of shape it were in, I can see how you could easily try to come to your own conclusions.

I don't remember anyone else in the room at the last camp tuning drums with Teddy and I until 3am, fresh out of the box, so I am assuming that DrumnMan2004 you have your own set from the new era Ludwigs that you could enlighten us about.

If you have any further questions regarding our instrumentation, please feel free to email me, pm me, or stop by the arc to see things up close and personal.

Chris Romanowski

Magic Percussion Caption Head

Actually Chris, not more than 6 weeks ago one of the smaller parade bands I work with purchased a new set of Ludwigs. I must say that unless I'm extremely blind, I don't see any "NEW" inovations. The powder coatings are as POOR as ever on the USA snares, the 'Rocker' shell they use on the toms hasn't really lightened the drums that much, and the 'power ring' chokes the sound of the drumhead. If you need a brighter sound from your tenors you might be disappointed when you start cranking ! I see the 'SAME' lug design on the tenors...this means (to me) that you'll encounter the same problems, unless someone waived a 'magic wand' and all of a sudden all the old problems have disappeared ! I also have my own USA drum and tenors in my studio that I have recently purchased...and for some reason, I still can't see all the 'NEW' inovations. I 'AM' a fan of the brand, and I do realize that your verbal support is necessary to help sales in any way possible, but sometimes it's hard to get a true 'read' where your loyalties lie ! Do you guys just like whatever is free ?...and what brand will it be next year ?

I sincerely hope that Ludwig DOES fix all the problems that have haunted them in the past. The parent company has the means to do whatever is necessary to put Ludwig back on top, but personally, I don't think that that's a priority for them ! If

you guys have some 'magical' influence on the powers that be...more power to you ! Other than that, I just don't see them altering anything to meet the demands of todays 'high end' marching percussion scene, and I guess that all the hype and rhetoric that states 'all these new inovations' are HERE confuses me as to what you guys got for equipment...when there ARE NO NEW INOVATIONS that even the factory is aware of !

I don't know you, but I do know Teddy ! I know that he's cautious not to burn a bridge because he may have to cross it again...and 'low and behold', look what happened ! It's honestly 'NONE OF MY BUSINESS' what you guys play on...you can play on cardboard boxes for all I care and you'll most likely make them sound wonderful, but I guess there's more of a credibility issue here ! People sometimes say things that bend the truth when there's a 'carrot' hanging over their head. Say what you want ! I just hope that you believe your own hype ! And, I sincerely hope that this company you put your trust in follows through with all the promises.

Sincerely,

Rick Rogers, Jr.

Empire Percussion

2423 County Route 8

Oswego, New York 13126

ph/fx 315-343-5631

cell 315-746-0253

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are using them at Southwind this year as well and I have to say that I like them so far. There are a few minor problems that need to be worked out but Ludwig is working closely with both Magic and Southwind to fix what needs to be fixed and make these drums the best drums on the market in the future. I have no doubt in my mind that Magic and Southwind will pave the way for Ludwig to turn heads in the marching world in years to come.

A note about the drums from last camp at SW...

First I have to say that the wood is some of the best wood on the market. High quality birch shells. Then there is the sound. The tenors by far sounded the best. They just had a great tone and color that projected through the ensemble. The snares sounded really good as well and the basses also had a great tone. The only problem that we encountered was with the bass claws but that was because they didn't send us the right ones. That is not a big deal though and we've had worse happen with our companies of the past sending the wrong parts. Other than that I think that the drums are outstanding products and this will be a great partnership for years to come.

Southwind Bass '03 '04 '05

Actually Chris, not more than 6 weeks ago one of the smaller parade bands I work with purchased a new set of Ludwigs. I must say that unless I'm extremely blind, I don't see any "NEW" inovations. The powder coatings are as POOR as ever on the USA snares, the 'Rocker' shell they use on the toms hasn't really lightened the drums that much, and the 'power ring' chokes the sound of the drumhead. If you need a brighter sound from your tenors you might be disappointed when you start cranking ! I see the 'SAME' lug design on the tenors...this means (to me) that you'll encounter the same problems, unless someone waived a 'magic wand' and all of a sudden all the old problems have disappeared ! I also have my own USA drum and tenors in my studio that I have recently purchased...and for some reason, I still can't see all the 'NEW' inovations. I 'AM' a fan of the brand, and I do realize that your verbal support is necessary to help sales in any way possible, but sometimes it's hard to get a true 'read' where your loyalties lie ! Do you guys just like whatever is free ?...and what brand will it be next year ? 

I sincerely hope that Ludwig DOES fix all the problems that have haunted them in the past. The parent company has the means to do whatever is necessary to put Ludwig back on top, but personally, I don't think that that's a priority for them ! If

you guys have some 'magical' influence on the powers that be...more power to you ! Other than that, I just don't see them altering anything to meet the demands of todays 'high end' marching percussion scene, and I guess that all the hype and rhetoric that states 'all these new inovations' are HERE confuses me as to what you guys got for equipment...when there ARE NO NEW INOVATIONS that even the factory is aware of !

I don't know you, but I do know Teddy ! I know that he's cautious not to burn a bridge because he may have to cross it again...and 'low and behold', look what happened ! It's honestly 'NONE OF MY BUSINESS' what you guys play on...you can play on cardboard boxes for all I care and you'll most likely make them sound wonderful, but I guess there's more of a credibility issue here ! People sometimes say things that bend the truth when there's a 'carrot' hanging over their head. Say what you want ! I just hope that you believe your own hype ! And, I sincerely hope that this company you put your trust in follows through with all the promises.

Sincerely,

Rick Rogers, Jr.

Empire Percussion

2423 County Route 8

Oswego, New York 13126

ph/fx 315-343-5631

cell 315-746-0253

Rick,

There is no "carrot" to speak of as you say, and Teddy and I are not signed with Ludwig and don't have to say anything nice if we don't want to. Many people have asked questions, we have given some insight as to what we got straight out of the box last camp.

Magic and Southwind are in a great position this summer to help Ludwig with their designs and get them to where they want to be. Bob B. from Ludwig did a great job getting us what we needed at camp, and will continue to be supportive during the season.

You gave a laundry list of things that you say you don't like, yet you yourself bought stuff, your line bought stuff, and then you turn around and criticize me for telling you how things looked to us. I have nothing to gain by telling you what our drums looked/sounded like.

If and when you can figure out why you are so angry, and why there is a need to accuse myself and Teddy (a percussion instructor who has had numerous succesful seasons with every group he has worked with and whom has my greatest respect) of speaking out of line with what we experienced, then feel free to contact me.

Why is it BS?

I know Teddy from my days at Statesmen.  He speaks his mind, positively or negatively.  I also remember the Ludwig drums Statesmen used up until 2002 and they were junk, reminding me of the Remos Glassmen used in the 90s when I marched there.  If Teddy says that these Ludwigs are good then I'm more than inclined to trust his opinion.

I agree with your statement Kevin, and definitely trust Teddy's word. When I was down in Statesmen for the winter of 2003 I played on the old Ludwigs for a while. Those suckers were heavy and definitely junk. Then when they got the new Yamaha drums that was a savour for our bodies. Unfortunately some things happened and I ended up back at Grenadiers for the '03 season...I don't regret that in anyway.

Teddy is a stand up guy and definitely a trusted word. The short time he was my instructor he was 100% genuine in everything he had to say. A great friend outside of corps time too.

Rick,

There is no "carrot" to speak of as you say, and Teddy and I are not signed with Ludwig and don't have to say anything nice if we don't want to.  Many people have asked questions, we have given some insight as to what we got straight out of the box last camp. 

Magic and Southwind are in a great position this summer to help Ludwig with their designs and get them to where they want to be.  Bob B. from Ludwig did a great job getting us what we needed at camp, and will continue to be supportive during the season.

You gave a laundry list of things that you say you don't like, yet you yourself bought stuff, your line bought stuff, and then you turn around and criticize me for telling you how things looked to us.  I have nothing to gain by telling you what our drums looked/sounded like.

If and when you can figure out why you are so angry, and why there is a need to accuse myself and Teddy (a percussion instructor who has had numerous succesful seasons with every group he has worked with and whom has my greatest respect) of speaking out of line with what we experienced, then feel free to contact me.

Woah there , Chris:

Apparently I got a 'rise' out of you ! Well, good...that was my intention !

Firstly...I like Ted, and I fail to see where you think that I trashed him in any way

that you feel you have to defend him !

Secondly...Can you HONESTLY tell this group if you got the 'same old' drums from Ludwig or , if you received (in your own words)"...prototype drums coming clean off the assembly line in April. These drums are 4 generations ahead of what's currently on the market".

Thirdly...Yes, I like the equipment enough for my studio or for a parade group that uses the drums on a limited basis. I would NEVER use these instruments for a competitive corps or marching band that is cranking the drums constantly.

Fourthly...as far as 'what you have to gain by what your drums looked/sounded like'...I think the world would like to know if it's OK to buy Ludwig again for competitive marching band or drum corps, and these folks are looking to YOU for an honest answer !

As a matter of fact...I guess all I'm looking for is an honest answer !

Sincerely,

Rick

Fourthly...as far as 'what you have to gain by what your drums looked/sounded like'...I think the world would like to know if it's OK to buy Ludwig again for competitive marching band or drum corps, and these folks are looking to YOU for an honest answer !

As a matter of fact...I guess all I'm looking for is an honest answer !

Sincerely,

Rick

Then I guess all you had to do was ask that question instead of rambling on about everything else, telling the guy from Southwind that he had your condolences and being rude.... For someone who wants a professional response, and a professional opinion, you sure haven't been very professional yourself.

If you took the time to read the original post of mine that someone else put on here from another message board, you would have read where I said: "things went very well for us that weekend, and that I look forward to seeing how the summer plays out for us and our new drums." I will be on the road almost all summer, you can come talk to me anytime you'd like. You can look at the equipment, see how we are tuning it, ask me how things are holding up, and then you can judge for yourself.

Firstly...I like Ted, and I fail to see where you think that I trashed him in any way

that you feel you have to defend him !

I guess on page 3 then where you chose to tell Teddy he was full of BS was actually meant as a compliment. Sorry, my bad.

Then I guess all you had to do was ask that question instead of rambling on about everything else, telling the guy from Southwind that he had your condolences and being rude.... For someone who wants a professional response, and a professional opinion, you sure haven't been very professional yourself.

If you took the time to read the original post of mine that someone else put on here from another message board, you would have read where I said: "things went very well for us that weekend, and that I look forward to seeing how the summer plays out for us and our new drums."  I will be on the road almost all summer, you can come talk to me anytime you'd like. You can look at the equipment, see how we are tuning it, ask me how things are holding up, and then you can judge for yourself.

I guess on page 3 then where you chose to tell Teddy he was full of BS was actually meant as a compliment.  Sorry, my bad.

Sorry for that one too...it just sounded like something that would be quote next to a picture of yourself in a magazine endorsing the Ludwig product.

It just didn't seem like it was from the heart !

Again, can you tell us if you got the 'same old' drums or did you receive all these new inovations. An honest response to this question would be quite professional.