We Need Drum Corps Know-It-Alls

I posted this a while ago, but I wanted to re-open the invitation to everyone on Drum Corps Planet...

There's a new collaborative website called DrumCorpsWiki that needs lovers of Drum & Bugle Corps. The website is a Wiki, and that means anyone who visits can easily share information and write articles. The site has the possibility of being the biggest Drum Corps Encyclopedia on the Internet, but it needs the help of drum corps fans to provide the information. You can add your own articles or edit what has already been posted. DrumCorpsWiki was just created, so we're looking to get it started with more info before it's released to the general drum corps public.

So, check it out, and share your knowledge...

http://www.drumcorpswiki.com/

(It is _not_ a forum like Drum Corps Planet.)

(Also, no, we're not selling anything.)

I've always wondered ... when you have a Wiki, what's to prevent people from posting bogus, misleading, or downright incorrect information? Or presenting an opinion as fact? Are there any checks & balances?

Um...doesn't Corpsreps.com already provide the same sort of information?

Why duplicate your efforts? Maybe you should just coordinate with them and collaborate on the site together.

Um...doesn't Corpsreps.com already provide the same sort of information?

Why duplicate your efforts?  Maybe you should just coordinate with them and collaborate on the site together.

Corpsreps mainly focuses on what the corps played while the wiki would serve as a general drum corps encyclopedia about the activity, the corps, the personalities, the history...Whatever people put in there, basically. What's more, entries would have links to related entries so everything is properly related. For example, Gail Royer's entry would have the words "Santa Clara Vanguard" linked to the Vanguard's entry each time they appear in his entry.

Here's a couple other wikis you can look at to see how they work and are organized:

Wikipedia

Homestar Runner Wiki

I've always wondered ... when you have a Wiki, what's to prevent people from posting bogus, misleading, or downright incorrect information?  Or presenting an opinion as fact?  Are there any checks & balances?

The checks and balances are the other editors--that is, everyone else. If someone goes in and writes something incorrect either purposefully or accidentally, someone else can fix that if they see it.

The checks and balances are the other editors--that is, everyone else.  If someone goes in and writes something incorrect either purposefully or accidentally, someone else can fix that if they see it.

Yet another reason for people to write up what they remember before that info is gone forever. The two corps I have been with have a combined history of almost 140 years. But at least half of that history is gone forever because it was never really written up. Just a few articles here and there.

(Writing note to self to include Xeroxed article I found from 1953.)

I've always wondered ... when you have a Wiki, what's to prevent people from posting bogus, misleading, or downright incorrect information?  Or presenting an opinion as fact?  Are there any checks & balances?

All users are editors, so anyone can very simply eliminate the latest change to an article or edit to add additional information. For those who like to edit to repair sloppily-written articles, opinions, or factually incorrect info, you can go straight to the list of recent changes to see what has been added or changed lately.

Just looking at the personalities page, I know a lot of current drum corps personalities have bio pages with the corps they teach at. That is, you can get a nice bio on Jeff Fiedler just by visiting the Cavaliers web page. Of course, you might need to contact the corps before you use their words, but it would be a handy resource.