The "Z-Pull Pile-up"

Welcome to the forums, Kevin!

Don't you know? The legendary stories are ALWAYS better than the reality of the event. LOL

I didn't see you guys when that happened, not sure where I was, maybe walking to set up retreat or something??

The most fond memory I have of you guys that summer was putting our two hornlines together at Sevierville and playing "Georgia". Still wish I had been able to find SOMEONE that had a recording of that. Really cool night.

Thanks for ruining everyone's legendary stories... way to go man. :w00t:

AA

How crazy is it that this was still being discussed -- over 21 years after it happened (at the time of this original post in 2005)... Thanks Dave for the clarification...

Please allow me to introduce myself... Back in 1984 I was called the "Whitewater Wipeout." For the record, please allow me to clarify a few things:

• I was 14 at the time, not 16
  • It was a warm, dry nite.. No field or external elements contributed to the incident
  • We lost the show -- though I too recall we got a perfect drill score
  • No broken bones (only egos)

The root cause is certainly up for debate... As the first guy down, I take full responsibility. Does it really matter if I was stepped on, or tripped over my own foot? Anyone who has first-hand experience navigating George Zingali's "Z-Pull" at 208 BPM knows that it's a pretty difficult maneuver.

I recall 4 or 5 of us went down that night. We all got back up to finish the last few bars -- it seemed like an eternity, but in reality we were down and back up again in a handful of seconds. As I said, no broken bones. In fact, the only thing broken were a couple of old-school two-valve G soprano bugles. I was on crutches with a sprain; missed some practice and one show.

Memories.... This is one I would prefer to forget...

Kevin Cooke

84' Garfield Cadets

How crazy is it that this was still being discussed -- over 21 years after it happened (at the time of this original post in 2005)... Thanks Dave for the clarification...

Mr. Cooke;

Allow me to welcome you to DCP with my well-worn yet time-honored phrase... (and those who know me, KNOW what's coming! Hi, Dave!)

*tap tap tap....."Is this thing on?" tap tap*

Ahem....

YOU'VE GOT MY RING!!!

Thank you.....that is all! :bluedevil:

Mr. Cooke;

Allow me to welcome you to DCP with my well-worn yet time-honored phrase... (and those who know me, KNOW what's coming! Hi, Dave!)

*tap tap tap....."Is this thing on?" tap tap*

Ahem....

YOU'VE GOT MY RING!!!

Thank you.....that is all! :bluedevil:

Gotta love you, Sam. You certainly are consistent :laughing::laughing::laughing:

YOU'VE GOT MY RING!!!

First I've seen this. That is so funny. ROFL. It was also almost 30 years ago (is it possible we are that old?)

Shoot....ask Dave Fowler how many times I've said it to him over the years!!

Better....ask him how we met!!

BTW Loved your '84 show! Classic BD. Loved you guys even more after you fed us at the Canadian border. Best meal I ever had in all my years of drum corps.

BTW Loved your '84 show! Classic BD. Loved you guys even more after you fed us at the Canadian border. Best meal I ever had in all my years of drum corps.

And that was our worst meal! As I've said before, we sat in slack-jawed amazement watching you guys pound it down like there was no tomorrow!

It was 1984 DCI Midwest Finals in Whitewater, WI. I believe the corps won field visual that night as well.

I'm sure Cadet84 will post the definitive answer.

My sister was involved. Euph '84