Keep the Amps out of drum corps, part dos

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.petitiononline.com/noamps

The gist of the petition, for those who are ok with "just amps" now:

Therefore, we, the undersigned, having witnessed that amplified narration has not justified the costs it brings to the activity, hereby call upon all competing corps to abstain from using these elements in their programming.
Edited by Galen

"On a few occasions, corps suffered electrical or equipment failure, and yet were rewarded with higher scores, something that would never be done for any other sort of “failure”, be it a musical or marching mistake. "

Still waiting for proof that whoever these corps were who were given higher scores were being judged by the same exact panel. Haven't gotten any yet. It also assumes that the rest of the performance was exactly the same. Which is all but impossible. This one statement alone does nothing to substantiate what you say. It actually speaks to a general ignorance and naivety that is quite alarming considering the number of years the author of the petition has been involved in drum corps.

"We know that this is what lies ahead, because two Division 1 drum corps directors have even admitted that it would be impossible in the future for a corps to be competitive without utilizing the newest innovations, should the visions of a few directors continue unchecked."

If you're speaking about Jeff Fiedler, well then congratulations. You have a job awaiting you in the US Government. He never said that it would be impossible for a corps to be competitive. That is something the author extracted from a statement with an altogether different context. If anyone thinks that Jeff Fiedler thinks the Cavaliers can absolutely NOT be competitive if they didn't use amplification, then again, it speaks to an overall ignorance and naivety. That statement is so beyond false, it's ridiculous. And when you distort the words of the people you are sending a petition to, it also does not help substantiate what you say.

So aside from these fundamental problems with the structure of the petition, and the fact that the rest of it is pretty much littered with sentimental opinions passed off as facts, it's great. Good luck.

Edited by skywalker

I'm not going to sign.

I understand what you all are trying to accomplish, and I think what you all are doing is great.

and when I say what I am about to say, please don't attack me, because I value the history of drum corps.

I say this all the time. Drum Corps is renovating.. everyone that marched in the '70's and '80's were the beggining of that renovation.

watch a show from 1980, then watch a show from 1985. the Change was incredible.

The process may not have come fast, but it came, and it's probably here to say.

IF EVER woodwinds come into drum corps, I will not only sign the petition, I will make my own.

~>conner

Fair enough.

And may it not come to that point.

"We know that this is what lies ahead, because two Division 1 drum corps directors have even admitted that it would be impossible in the future for a corps to be competitive without utilizing the newest innovations, should the visions of a few directors continue unchecked."

If you're speaking about Jeff Fiedler, well then congratulations. You have a job awaiting you in the US Government. He never said that it would be impossible for a corps to be competitive. That is something the author extracted from a statement with an altogether different context. If anyone thinks that Jeff Fiedler thinks the Cavaliers can absolutely NOT be competitive if they didn't use amplification, then again, it speaks to an overall ignorance and naivety. That statement is so beyond false, it's ridiculous. And when you distort the words of the people you are sending a petition to, it also does not help substantiate what you say.

TWO? Who is the second director who they think said that?

I hope they are not referring to Darren from the Bluecoats, as 1) he is not their director and 2) he never said anything close to that.

Mike

Guest DrumCorpFan
Exactly. I'm in favor of AMPS (don't start a flamewar here.....I have an opinion, sorry). I might have signed last year but when someone approached me in Denver to sign I said I was still puzzled. The guy responded that when I wouldn't sign I would be in favor of killing drumcorps. I thought that was extremely rude and have not signed. I guess the whole campaign should be less agressive. It is OK to state your opinion on a matter like this. I understand people do not like AMPS. I don't have a problem with it, not even the singing. The only thing that bothers me is the quality of it, not too good, but that might be a matter of time.

All I'm trying to say is......do go on with your campaign if you want to. The only thing is dislike is the agressiveness of some people. They find a way to turn every discussion in an AMPS discussion. People against AMPS are very vocal, people in favor are not......

The only reason why I skip posts in this forum is because someone changes the whole thing to bash AMPS and the corps that use them. If we could stop that, the whole campaign might be even more succesfull.

Just my opinion.

As far as I know, I was the only one in Denver that was collecting signatures (unless that person was telling you to find me to sign it). I never made any such comment to any person. The only thing I ever said to people who did not want to sign was, "enjoy the show."

Something I noticed about the petition and how it is presented is a problem. I am for the amped pit for the reasons that most corps use it for. But There needs to be better guidelines established. Now as far as the petition, I am only seeing negatives towards amps. This is coming across as an attack. I think DCI will take a better look at your petition if you pointed out positives for removing amped voice or amps in general. In other words, try to find an explanation for what you are wanting to accomplish in a matter that they have not possibly thought of.