Keep the Amps out of drum corps, part dos

I would sign this.

However, it will do no good, as what's done is done. DCI will never "go back" on a change, and have the perception of egg on their face, even if means losing a certain number of fans. This will be the case with further electronics, woodwinds, and everything else that comes up in the years to come.

I think the only message that can be taken away from the amplification debate is that there is a discontent ...and a disconnect... between the designer and the booster/fan. One that's growing.

I can only support those corps monetarily that produce the product I do like, and will only do that in the future. I advise those of you that are against amplification to give DCA a try, as I'm doing this year, or support your II/III or Division I corps that is non-amped as much as possible.

DCI...and by DCI, I mean those directors that make up the votes that passed this... don't care about petitions, or your voice. Now, I'm sure that statement will be argued....but the hunt is on for more fans and more money from the world of the marching band enthusaist, and the I&E changes and the growing number of "elite" sponsorships prove this change is happening.

Is it a "bad" thing? Not necessarily. DCI is doing what it has to in order to survive by moving away from the "legacy fan" and going after a younger, more "marching-bandcentric" audience. That's their battle plan, and the future of drum corps.

In order to keep DCA and other avenues a viable alternative, I suggest a strong show of support for those that choose to not go down this path, and letting DCI do what it will...as it will regardless.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DrumCorpFan
Your assertion that the anti-amp people are the only aggressive ones is completely false...

Many pro-ampers (except Mike Davis) get HIGHLY offended when we voice what we don't like....worse yet, in the past year, I have yet to hear a concrete argument FOR keeping the amps.

Sorry, but the pro-ampers' aggression is far closer to being nothing but whining.

It's kind of like being sore winners! :worthy: :sshh:

I never had a problem hearing the brass...you can't use RECORDINGS as evidence of balance issues.

In my opinion, it's fair to use recordings, because that might be the only way some people see some (all?) shows. Giving it less value than live considerations is cool, but ignoring it altogether isn't.

The Cadets have a really uniqe show this year, intriguing and cutting edge enough to keep me interested...however...after hearing the amatuer, juvenilistic(if that is a word) way in which they use amplified voice......LOL LOL LOL..all I can say is this is not where I want to spend my hard earned dollars.....

Narration and show explanation through amplified voice is not cutting edge, it isnt innovative, it isnt cutting edge, its a step back in the creativity department and it is a cop out.....not being able to tell your story for the floks to get it through "Brass, percussion, and colorguard" ..and of all corps the Cadets ?? I remember 1991's "A letter from home" being "got" by the audience quite nicely...no voice needed.

Sorry, I have no desire to hear my drum corps through the words of marching members......I think this just might be the last year for me.

~G~

WATCH IT !!!!!!!! :worthy:  :beer:  :beer: 

Don't say that....... word !!!!    :beer:  :beer:  :grrr:

Where do I sign ????  :sshh:  :sshh:  :sshh:

i said that in jest :P

sign here:

http://www.petitiononline.com/noamps/petition.html

Maybe you should get someone to check the punctuation... It may be more effective if the BOD doesn't see lots of grammatical mistakes.  It will look more professional too.

i dunno, seems they were ok when amps got passed in that proposal :P

"On a few occasions, corps suffered electrical or equipment failure, and yet were rewarded with higher scores, something that would never be done for any other sort of “failure”, be it a musical or marching mistake. "

Still waiting for proof that whoever these corps were who were given higher scores were being judged by the same exact panel. Haven't gotten any yet. It also assumes that the rest of the performance was exactly the same. Which is all but impossible. This one statement alone does nothing to substantiate what you say. It actually speaks to a general ignorance and naivety that is quite alarming considering the number of years the author of the petition has been involved in drum corps.

"We know that this is what lies ahead, because two Division 1 drum corps directors have even admitted that it would be impossible in the future for a corps to be competitive without utilizing the newest innovations, should the visions of a few directors continue unchecked."

If you're speaking about Jeff Fiedler, well then congratulations. You have a job awaiting you in the US Government. He never said that it would be impossible for a corps to be competitive. That is something the author extracted from a statement with an altogether different context. If anyone thinks that Jeff Fiedler thinks the Cavaliers can absolutely NOT be competitive if they didn't use amplification, then again, it speaks to an overall ignorance and naivety. That statement is so beyond false, it's ridiculous. And when you distort the words of the people you are sending a petition to, it also does not help substantiate what you say.

So aside from these fundamental problems with the structure of the petition, and the fact that the rest of it is pretty much littered with sentimental opinions passed off as facts, it's great. Good luck.

actually, as I have read it several times since he said it last year, the context was not out of line at all. He was defending his no votes to amps as well as Bb brass, and was getting a lot of flack for both, then going right ahead and using both as they became legal.

Jeff Fiedler isn't the kind of guy to say something and not mean it, and his quick back pedaling afterwards was proof he knew he shouldn't have said it.