Colts' Postcards

A couple of weeks ago before the Cedar Rapids show, I was chatting with a Colts staffer who told me that they were going to be adding some giant postcards to the field for their show. I believe he told me they'd be in by the weekend (which would have been June 25-26). Well, I saw the Colts last week in Normal and just watched their clip from Columbia on SeasonPass, and there's still no postcards on the field. Anyone close to the Colts (or just with knowledge of the situation) know why they're not out there yet? Has the idea been scrapped or just delayed?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Postcards are still in the works. Last I heard, the reason they haven't been added was because the supports haven't been fully constructed yet. I've seen pictures on the Colts Virtual Cooktruck of the supports. They will be added to the show at SOME point.

Here a picture of the supports from July 4th, just to give an idea of how big these postcards are supposed to be...

colts006615.jpg

Visit the Colts Virtual Cooktruck for daily updates about the corps and related events!

Edited by dciguy01

jeebus they're gonna be huge :blink:

Those are going to require some SERIOUS postage :P

Those are going to require some SERIOUS postage :P

so that's why member's fees are so high nowadays :P

As one who has spent time with the construction of the postcards I can tell you that the original design, while close, wasn't going to withstand the stress of transporting, assembling, using in the show, and disassembling all the way to the end of the season. Another problem was that the postcards being as large as they are would not fit through a fair amount of the gates to stadiums. There were some other minor issues as well. All of those design issues have been corrected and the postcards should be out soon. They are really cool :) – I think they are really going to add to the show by helping tie the storyline in.

Edited by sdlinst

As one who has spent time with the construction of the postcards I can tell you that the original design, while close, wasn't going to withstand the stress of transporting, assembling, using in the show, and disassembling all the way to the end of the season. Another problem was that the postcards being as large as they are would not fit through a fair amount of the gates to stadiums. There were some other minor issues as well. All of those design issues have been corrected and the postcards should be out soon. They are really cool  :) – I think they are really going to add to the show by helping tie the storyline in.

I'm having this memory of the Carolina Crown 'Chess' show. Watching those poor kids try to get these huge props through the gate (an old stone arch affair) at the Burlington, IA show was just.............well, maybe it's funny now but at the time it was anything but.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Colts and their postcards but I hope no one gets hurt!

David

Postcards are still in the works.  Last I heard, the reason they haven't been added was because the supports haven't been fully constructed yet.  I've seen pictures on the Colts Virtual Cooktruck of the supports.  They will be added to the show at SOME point.

Here a picture of the supports from July 4th, just to give an idea of how big these postcards are supposed to be...

colts006615.jpg

Visit the Colts Virtual Cooktruck for daily updates about the corps and related events!

I for one HATE props as much as AMPS.

big giant things . watching kids load them in and out of stadiums.

how do you judge a postcard , a chess piece , a ladder or a sundial ??

how do you judge singing ? do you take points away for a amp shorting out ? or being too loud ??

ITS DRUM CORPS PEOPLE>

play , march , athletics , giving 100% , remember.

not Props , Amps ,and Singing.

I am sure THE COLTS show will be just as enjoyable listening to the music , watching the drill , and watching them perform without GIANT PROPS>

just a nickle.

LL

Well, modern drumcorps has evolved from just playing 13 minutes of random music to creating a show. Shows that tell stories, and sometimes props are used to convey the story either as backdrops or as integrated pieces. I like props, but I question whether or not they are WORTH the effort sometimes.

These postcards are huge.....are they really that important? We'll have to see.