Colts' Postcards

I for one HATE props as much as AMPS.

big giant things . watching kids load them in and out of stadiums.

how do you judge a postcard , a chess piece , a ladder or a sundial  ??

how do you judge singing ? do you take points away for a amp shorting out ? or being too loud ??

ITS DRUM CORPS PEOPLE>

play , march , athletics , giving 100% , remember.

not Props , Amps ,and Singing.

I am sure THE COLTS show will be just as enjoyable listening to the music , watching the drill , and watching them perform without GIANT PROPS>

just a nickle.

LL

Sounds to me like you think the only reason anyone does anything in Drum Corps is for the judges. What about creating an effect for the people who pay the money to sit in the stands. Not everything in drum corps is about scores. Think about some of the great shows of the 90's SCV Miss Saigon, Phantom '95, any VK year. Those shows wouldn't have been the same without the use of props. Amps and singing I can agree with, but to stifle a creative part of drum corps that has been used before and used tastefully I can't. That's my nickel.

Chris Wendt

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds to me like you think the only reason anyone does anything in Drum Corps is for the judges.  What about creating an effect for the people who pay the money to sit in the stands.  Not everything in drum corps is about scores.  Think about some of the great shows of the 90's  SCV Miss Saigon, Phantom '95, any VK year.  Those shows wouldn't have been the same without the use of props. Amps and singing I can agree with, but to stifle a creative part of drum corps that has been used before and used tastefully I can't.  That's my nickel.

Chris Wendt

Props ARE for the judges.

if you need props , design better.

taste is a individual thing.

I am going to agree to disagree with you on this one because you seem to be in a tunnel right now. But I will throw down my feelings on your comments as this is a forum and I can do that :) Now, you say taste is an individual thing. Why then cannot the use of props be the same? An individual thing. You make the finite statement that all props are for judges. I disagree. In this subjective judging system of today, the only caption that the props(in this case Postcards) will affect is GE Visual. However, the understanding that these props may provide to the audience, I believe is much greater. I do not believe that Greg Orwoll or any of the Colts staff or members is expecting to jump in score because of these props. Because the prop does not make your show cleaner, your hornline play more in tune, your drumline any tighter. But it does help feed the storyline for the spectator. As for your statement about the shows design, the show designers probably had the idea for these mammoth postcards from the start and IDK if you have seen their show, but it is designed pretty darn well now. All I am saying is if you are going to have an open mind on the things you like, then have an open mind on the things others like as well. We haven't even seen these on the field yet and already you are ready to set them on fire. Give them a chance and then, if you don't like them, fine. No problem. Too often in this activity, I feel like people don't like or like things based on their success before in other groups and other shows. Just take a step back for a moment and appreciate things for what they are and make your judgements based on how well things work for the corps you are watching, not how what they did is lame because Corps A or Corps B did it before. Holy longer than I wanted Batman. Thanks for reading my rant. Back under my rock for now.

Chris

All I am saying is if you are going to have an open mind on the things you like, then have an open mind on the things others like as well.  We haven't even seen these on the field yet and already you are ready to set them on fire.  Give them a chance and then, if you don't like them, fine.  No problem.  Too often in this activity, I feel like people don't like or like things based on their success before in other groups and other shows.  Just take a step back for a moment and appreciate things for what they are and make your judgements based on how well things work for the corps you are watching,

Chris

I am not setting fire to any particular corps show.

just dont like props.

they dont NEED them. I think they look stupid. same as Sax's in DC , Amps , singing.

just my preference.

LL

Given that the Colts' show this year is "POSTCARDS FROM HOME", I think that these will help to bring the concept closer to the fans.

This is one of the shows that I am really looking forward to live this weekend in Kalamazoo. From the video that I've seen, the show is very well designed, both visually and musically.

If this gives it more "umph" without being a logistical nightmare or distraction, I'm all for it!

I agree and disagree with you.

There is an invisible line you cross to get from the good usage of props to the bad usage of props. I have no idea how to describe this line, but it's definately there.

Like, VK, can basically get away with ANYTHING. They can use props, because it's funny and not really serious.

I'd say something else, but I know I'd end up saying something that will one day be wrong, so I'll save myself the humiliation by leaving you with the invisible line that can't be described.

I've seen the Colts several times this season and, in my opinion, the postcards are not needed. The show is enjoyable and easy to grasp in its own right. The addition of large props may provide some sort of visual interest but, my feeling is they will detract from an already interesting and colorful production.

I'm having this memory of the Carolina Crown 'Chess' show. Watching those poor kids try to get these huge props through the gate (an old stone arch affair) at the Burlington, IA show was just.............well, maybe it's funny now but at the time it was anything but.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Colts and their postcards but I hope no one gets hurt!

David

To correct the issue of getting them through the gates the almost 15'x30' postcard can now "flip" up and roll on its back end - making it roughly 5' wide. It only takes four people to do that and they actually move fairly well like that. I am glad that they have taken certain precautions to help make sure that no one gets hurt. From what i have heard it will be staff/volunteer parents moving them to and through the gates anyway.

I've seen the Colts several times this season and, in my opinion, the postcards are not needed.  The show is enjoyable and easy to grasp in its own right.  The addition of large props may provide some sort of visual interest but, my feeling is they will detract from an already interesting and colorful production.

I agree with you that the show is enjoyable as is and i hope they do not become a distraction(if done right i don't think they will), however, i am guessing the postcards have become a pretty major investment that they could not "abandon" them now. :worthy:

Edited by sdlinst