DCI running DCA?

yes Frank, it is growing in other areas, but that had nothing to do w/Sharons original thoughts. she was concerned about DCI running a DCA show here in the NE.

I know it didn't....it's that you say that DCA is losing shows, and yes they are--traditional show sites which does suck.......but they also are gaining in other areas....kind of reshuffling to other areas besides the northeast.

(to Sharon) There's been cooperation in the past with DCI and DCA.....a few combined shows, Madison 1999, Providence this year, Buffalo a few years back where it was Empire vs Brigs and Cadets vs Cavaliers...so it's nothing new and nothing's fallen apart because of it.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent response, Liz. I agree 100%.

:worthy: thank you. :)

it was a pleasure meeting you last week. sorry i wasn't up really too up for having a conversation. :( i hope to remedy that at a future show tho. :)

Sharon, I really dont feel DCI is out to take over DCA. first off, legally they cant...it would violate their charter as a youth activity.

True. But charters can be changed yes?

In addition adding a DCA class of competition to DCI might alleviate some of the increase-the-age-limit suggestions that crop up. Most of the members of a top-12 DCI corps are not exactly "youths" at ages 20 and 21 and most of the members of the top DCA corps are barely over 30. This is based on my observations so the data is not exactly scientific and I will admit that. But the line between the two ages is not exactly razor-sharp.

Never say never.

Second of all, having been to DCA meetings, some DCi directors couldnt handle the bluntness of some DCA folks. If they think they get it bad on here, wait'll a DCA leader w/30 some years of experience running a corps went off on em :P

:worthy:

This I would pay good money to see.

Edited by Gold_Bond

look, DCI has enough issues right now, and, IMO, they would actually lose by adding DCA.

why?

youth organizations get sponsors better

look, DCI has enough issues right now, and, IMO, they would actually lose by adding DCA.

why?

youth organizations get sponsors better

If DCA had leadership with vision, it could sieze an opportunity to become more than just an "all-age" drum corps circuit. I&E could be a showcase for future corps with sponsorships and advertisment, in addition to competitive musical performances.

Alumni Spectacular could be an open invitation for "reunions" all over the country, similar to what we've seen in the past few years. I'd love to see Argonne again, Bayonne...how about Blue Rock?......I hear Anahiem Kingsmen are starting up again....people get excited about the possibilities, DCA provides a venue of belief to set goals to accomplish this.

DCA could be better than DCI by combining the past and the present, young AND old.....it just has to be willing to reach out and build bridges.

People from all over the country come to DCA finals, just as they do for DCI, I hope it keeps gettin better.

Just my 2cents

Muz

B)

DCA leadership has a vision now.....if you haven't noticed, DCA has expnaded formally to two regions that never hosted a show til the last few years.

Rome was not built in a day. DCA doesnt have a paid office staff like DCI does. sometimes, a little patience is needed.

If DCA had leadership with vision, it could sieze an opportunity to become more than just an "all-age" drum corps circuit. I&E could be a showcase for future corps with sponsorships and advertisment, in addition to competitive musical performances.

Alumni Spectacular could be an open invitation for "reunions" all over the country, similar to what we've seen in the past few years. I'd love to see Argonne again, Bayonne...how about Blue Rock?......I hear Anahiem Kingsmen are starting up again....people get excited about the possibilities, DCA provides a venue of belief to set goals to accomplish this.

DCA could be better than DCI by combining the past and the present, young AND old.....it just has to be willing to reach out and build bridges.

People from all over the country come to DCA finals, just as they do for DCI, I hope it keeps gettin better.

Just my 2cents

Muz

B)

I walked away from watching corps from 92-02. When I left DCA Weekend had just gone from all day Sunday (prelims/finals same day) to two days. There were no Minis, I&E, Alumnis or Class A corps. For the smaller corps, the best you could hope for is to make the #12 corps and be put on a recording. If you were small and were #13 or below that was too bad.

My point is DCA has made great strides over the last ten or so years. You just have to be around long enough to have seen the difference. When I went to Prelims in 03 I was surprised how much ws going on for the whole weekend. They could do more but I hope any changes they make are done carefully so they don't hurt themselves and the Senior/All Age corps.

My point is DCA has made great strides over the last ten or so years. You just have to be around long enough to have seen the difference. When I went to Prelims in 03 I was surprised how much ws going on for the whole weekend. They could do more but I hope any changes they make are done carefully so they don't hurt themselves and the Senior/All Age corps.

Agree.......

I've been attending DCA finals since 1999, as a spectator and participant. Coming all the way from California, I won't miss it again, so dont misunderstand. I see DCA as kind of like the old AFL, different league, different rules but still playing the game and putting butts in the seats.

DCI and DCA can live together providing it share in the revenue. This is the one area where DCI can hurt DCA.....

I'm just tossing up a caution flag, I've seen what DCI can do to the other circuits and associations.

Muz :)

Edited by muzzicman1

DCI has at least four times at their championships alone as many spectators as DCA. We don't even want to start on the individual show venues and regionals.

DCI is held in a football stadium. For some reason, DCA can only find baseball fields to hold their championships at. At least since '99 when it was held at J.Birney Crum stadium in Allentown.

I don't like watching drum corps at baseball fields. Count me out.

Hey muzzicman, why aren't you in So. Mil? I thought RA was performing there tonight?

Edited by JudyJetson