It was noted in one of BD's many blogs, that the corps was making numerous changes to their show and tweaking it. I am sure BD hasn't forgotten how to perform at the highest level.

The kids are young and the jetlag will take a day or so to get over. Not a big issue at all. I expect an 88.15 on Friday. It will be interesting when they meet the cavies on the 19th in Pittsburg, KS.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for my previous negative post. I hate seeing poor grammar, but even worse is seeing people on a message board criticizing posters' grammar.

I am looking forward to seeing the Blue Devils show.

How are they paying for the trip to Europe? Are they getting really large appearance fees across the pond?

I'm not saying that BD should be ashamed itself for spending so much money or anything. I'm just thinking about the recent post about the money woes with the Crossmen. If BD can afford to go to Europe, then the Crossmen and other struggling corps need to follow the BD model in fundraising, whatever that may be. They're obviously pretty good at it.

Regardless of my feelings where the narration is concerned, the Blue Devils have a great show and I have NO doubt they'll hit the ground running when they return to American soil.

GO BD!!!!

Regardless of my feelings where the narration is concerned, the Blue Devils have a great show and I have NO doubt they'll hit the ground running when they return to American soil.

GO BD!!!!

I agree with you. A lot of people have been skeptical regarding the amount of time they will be sight-seeing and how little feedback they will be getting. I did the math on another thread and, if I did my math correctly, they should be having the same amount of practice time per week... if not more. I'm confident that the staff knows what's best for the corps from a design standpoint. They'll be just fine.

I actually addressed these concerns with Dave Gibbs (via the Blue Devils website, of course...I don't "know" him or anything like that). He stated that the organization learned a lot from their Europe trip in 2000 regarding the balance of rehearsal time and sightseeing, as well as jet lag, lack of DCI judge commentary, etc., and that they feel very confident in their ability to come back and still be very competitive. It certainly helps that when they come back, they still have Kalamazoo, San Antonio, Murfreesboro, Indianapolis and Allentown (at the minimum) where they will have access to the same judges that the other corps do and get great feedback well before Finals. I think that they will do very well.

However, with that said, I just have this "feeling" that they will end up 3rd. Before anyone jumps on me, this "feeling" is based solely on a historical perspective. In years that end in 5 they never place better than 3rd. Take a look:

1975- 3rd

1985- 3rd

1995- 3rd

2005- ???

Obviously this doesn't actually guarantee anything, but it's something I couldn't help but notice at the beginning of the year.

They'll do just fine. They have a good staff who know what the show has to be like to be in the running for a title. They did practice a lot here, and the show get's cleaner every rehearsal.

They'll do just fine.

GO BD!!!!

Agreed. :blink:

Edited by hornsarge

OT posts split off from thread - Mike.  (Sorry - did it a few minutes ago and forgot to add a note.)

Need some clarification..."split off" as in the posts can be found somewhere else, or completely eliminated?

Bd will do as BD needs to do. The first show is critical - judges will over react, or under react - but they will react.

Judges and fans galore will be keep their cells phones and laptops busy. It will take 4 or 5 shows with different slates of judges to be able to grasp what BD is doing - unless it is simply phenominal.

BD does have some time to polish, or fix whatever is deemed necessary. Afterall, we are talking about the Blue Devils.

Sorry for my previous negative post.  I hate seeing poor grammar, but even worse is seeing people on a message board criticizing posters' grammar. 

I am looking forward to seeing the Blue Devils show.

How are they paying for the trip to Europe?  Are they getting really large appearance fees across the pond?

I'm not saying that BD should be ashamed itself for spending so much money or anything.  I'm just thinking about the recent post about the money woes with the Crossmen.  If BD can afford to go to Europe, then the Crossmen and other struggling corps need to follow the BD model in fundraising, whatever that may be.  They're obviously pretty good at it.

Kdaddy, if fund raising was only equal throughout the country. Most corps rely on BINGO to make money. BD, SCV and a few of the other BIG California corps have great BINGO games. Competition is the key when it comes to BINGO. Madison a few years ago had no competition for BINGO in that area. In moved the Indians and Madison's BINGO suffered greatly.

The big BINGO games can hand out prizes well over $5000 or $10000 since they may have 500 to 1000 people playing in one night. Small BINGO ops like Madison's was MAX maybe 100 to 150 people playing a night.

I don't know how Crossmen raise money but I'm sure if they're gaming, they've got tons of competition.