PHANTOM 2003

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the most overrated and bandwagoned hornlines of all time.

I saw them live at finals and I was sitting at about the 0 yardline. During the turnaround in Canon they were facing directly at me for about a second. I heard some of the nastiest sounds coming out of them that I have ever heard from a hornline.

And people wondered why they didn't win brass or even come close.

That's my take on it.

The 0 huh...

hmm...let's think this over shall we?

PhantomR beat me to it...

but seriously dude, that was only 1 second. They still played a #### of a show, so I don't see why you would call them one of the most overrated.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

The 0 huh...

hmm...let's think this over shall we?

Did either of you even read my post?

And I mean ALL of it. As in every word.

Since you edited yours I'll edit mine.

"One of the best hornlines of all time" don't make sounds like that EVER. Not even for one second.

That is why I find them one of the most overrated hornlines of all time.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Edited by hboyce

One of the most overrated and bandwagoned hornlines of all time.

I saw them live at finals and I was sitting at about the 0 yardline. During the turnaround in Canon they were facing directly at me for about a second. I heard some of the nastiest sounds coming out of them that I have ever heard from a hornline.

And people wondered why they didn't win brass or even come close.

That's my take on it.

I hope Phantom Regiment produces some of those ' nastiest sounds you ever heard coming out of them " (in 2003, ) for the next 50 years. So to each his own.

And other corps from that year played just as good of a show, if not better.

Just how some think it ISN'T overrated, others think it is. There is no wrong answer or opinion.

Okay, that's the response I can understand.

It sounded like you thought they were overrated in the sense that they were some of the most horrible players you've heard, and didn't deserve the credit they got for the show, and not their playing.

For instance, Phantom definately couldn't contend with BD brass that year. They played a great show, just not the best brass like some people thought.

Now you don't sound as mean to me :worthy:

hboyce,

just wondering here, and I may be totally out of line - but what corps did you age-out with in 03?

I know I'm guilty of it, but sometimes the competetive nature of the activity takes away from what other groups are doing. I admit to not really giving certain groups a chance until well after the season was over (though I respected them all VERY much).

I'm not saying the hornline was perfect, but we knew where the sound had to go. I'm sure your aware that its the sound that hits the box that matters, and sometimes that sound is much different from various locations on the field. Yes, sometimes was over zealous, but I'll take that over a safe performance any day.

However, we did get nailed in scores for no discernable reason during championships. As always, we just held our heads high and worried about what we could control, while our brass score dropped dramatically, the Cadets took off (their hornline hadn't touched us till the beat us at quarters), and BAC and SCV came up on us - all based off what guys in green shirts saw.

It's cool that you have your opinion, I can honestly say I never saw 2003 Regiment live, and I'm sure you have reasons for them.

as always, imho

hboyce,

just wondering here, and I may be totally out of line - but what corps did you age-out with in 03?

I know I'm guilty of it, but sometimes the competetive nature of the activity takes away from what other groups are doing.  I admit to not really giving certain groups a chance until well after the season was over (though I  respected them all VERY much).

I'm not saying the hornline was perfect, but we knew where the sound had to go.  I'm sure your aware that its the sound that hits the box that matters, and sometimes that sound is much different from various locations on the field.  Yes, sometimes was over zealous, but I'll take that over a safe performance any day.

However, we did get nailed in scores for no discernable reason during championships.  As always, we just held our heads high and worried about what we could control, while our brass score dropped dramatically, the Cadets took off (their hornline hadn't touched us till the beat us at quarters), and BAC and SCV came up on us - all based off what guys in green shirts saw.

It's cool that you have your opinion, I can honestly say I never saw 2003 Regiment live, and I'm sure you have reasons for them.

as always, imho

I was thinking the same thing... what corps did you age out with?

EDIT: spelling

~>conner

Edited by PhantomR