Stop Talking About Scores.

Everyone is saying alot about talk, and scores, and whos good and whos not... but none of this really matters until the season is finished. Corps make changes, Some shows get better and some get worse. Some corps may lose hope (although I would really hate to see that happen to any corps, it's a horrible way to finish/and or fold.) But scores really dont matter all that much anyways. I think if your in drum corps for scores, your in it for the wrong reason. You joined drum corps to win, but you stay in it to entertain, if not, your doing it for the wrong reason. I joined drum corps cause I wanted to win, Shoot, Fever got 4th in the second year, I couldn't wait to put on that uniform, and kick some ###, but now I do it to touch people, and change people lives through music, not scores. So think about all of this before you go making another thread about scores or whos the best please.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well.

You talk about entertainment. I believe that a lot of the entertainment value of drum and bugle corps comes from the fact that the corps are competing. And you can't compete without scores.

It's fun for both members and fans to take scores and speculate on how the season is going to turn out. The fact that "corps make changes" and "some shows get better and some get worse" makes it all the more interesting.

Just my two cents.

amen. you know what a score is? somebody's opinion of your show compaired to others. why put so much importance on the opinions of a few select individuals. those are temporary, but what is true is the feeling you get when you march off that feild, KNOWING that you just poured your soul to the crowd. that's what you'll remember for the rest of your life, not the score you got on a night in august.

`pinkies

mempho snare 04

amen. you know what a score is? somebody's opinion of your show compaired to others. why put so much importance on the opinions of a few select individuals. those are temporary, but what is true is the feeling you get when you march off that feild, KNOWING that you just poured your soul to the crowd. that's what you'll remember for the rest of your life, not the score you got on a night in august.

Well said! I strongly agree!

They should give us points for every time we run over a judge.

actually I think you do.

amen.  you know what a score is?  somebody's opinion of your show compaired to others.  why put so much importance on the opinions of a few select individuals.  those are temporary, but what is true is the feeling you get when you march off that feild, KNOWING that you just poured your soul to the crowd.  that's what you'll remember for the rest of your life, not the score you got on a night in august.

`pinkies

mempho snare 04

Yes.... thats exactly it... I mean you could get a ring playing football, but you can get lifelong friends and memories in drum corps.

It would be a lot more boring for the crowd without scores. Let them speculate about it, let them do whatever they want. It doesn't keep the performers from having a great time. You can laugh about the scores and just think of the great time you had. And you can buy some drinks for some friends in the corps that you compete against and laugh together about the scores. :P

Everyone is saying alot about talk, and scores, and whos good and whos not... but none of this really matters until the season is finished. Corps make changes, Some shows get better and some get worse. Some corps may lose hope (although I would really hate to see that happen to any corps, it's a horrible way to finish/and or fold.) But scores really dont matter all that much anyways. I think if your in drum corps for scores, your in it for the wrong reason. You joined drum corps to win, but you stay in it to entertain, if not, your doing it for the wrong reason. I joined drum corps cause I wanted to win, Shoot, Fever got 4th in the second year, I couldn't wait to put on that uniform, and kick some ###, but now I do it to touch people, and change people lives through music, not scores. So think about all of this before you go making another thread about scores or whos the best please.

I don't you noticed this but the US is based largely on COMPETITION. If thier wasn't competition, then you wouldn't be playing your iPod, or the latest computer. Competition drives companies to come out with new products, and in drum corps case, to push themselves to new levels.

Even organizations like orchestras who don't thrive on competition is a misnomer. Orchestras compete for the almighty buck and design thier programs for people to want to spend money on them.

You're living in a fantasy world to thing scores and competitions are meaning.

I don't you noticed this but the US is based largely on COMPETITION.  If thier wasn't competition, then you wouldn't be playing your iPod, or the latest computer.  Competition drives companies to come out with new products, and in drum corps case, to push themselves to new levels.

Even organizations like orchestras who don't thrive on competition is a misnomer.  Orchestras compete for the almighty buck and design thier programs for people to want to spend money on them.

You're living in a fantasy world to thing scores and competitions are meaning.

see thats where you dont get it. Your saying that people only do things for money and competition, to be better than the other so they are "better." Well have you ever, lets say, gone to the movies. Have you ever gone to a movie that you loved... but it got horrible ratings? You dont care, you went to see it cause you love that movie. Same with what a Drum Corps should be around for. You go play cause you love that corps, that organization, and you put out a great show with meaning, not for competition.