Stop Talking About Scores.

scoring high is over rated.

~>conner

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

everybody needs to remember that judging and the resulting scores is also political.

see thats where you dont get it. Your saying that people only do things for money and competition, to be better than the other so they are "better." Well have you ever, lets say, gone to the movies. Have you ever gone to a movie that you loved... but it got horrible ratings? You dont care, you went to see it cause you love that movie. Same with what a Drum Corps should be around for. You go play cause you love that corps, that organization, and you put out a great show with meaning, not for competition.

Agree with you on some things, but what would drum corps be if there wasn't any competition. I honestly march to play and perform, but the real thrill is the competition. Competition is the last thing I think about when performing my show. I usually pick one person in the stands and play my show for them.

Sometimes, you just have to accept the fact that for some people, it's about numbers. It is what is.

So just chill, it's ok. It's all good. There's no need to get upset about it. ^_^

Yes.... thats exactly it... I mean you could get a ring playing football, but you can get lifelong friends and memories in drum corps.

So drum corps is the only place you can have lifelong friends and memories?

I've done Youth League football, soccer, and baseball, cub scouts, boy scouts, music camps out the wazoo, marching band, youth ministries, went to college and was active in too many organizations, and was in the military.

All that on top of drum corps.

So while I do have good friends from my drum corps days, I have just as many if not more from every other activity I've been involved in.

see thats where you dont get it. Your saying that people only do things for money and competition, to be better than the other so they are "better." Well have you ever, lets say, gone to the movies. Have you ever gone to a movie that you loved... but it got horrible ratings? You dont care, you went to see it cause you love that movie. Same with what a Drum Corps should be around for. You go play cause you love that corps, that organization, and you put out a great show with meaning, not for competition.

Bad analogy.

Going to WATCH a movie and PERFORMING in a drum corps are 2 different things.

Granted some people only concern themselves with the performance and some with scores, but the fact still remains that drum corps is a competitive activity. Corps perform, a score is given, and a winner is declared. That's a fact of life. And it's also a fact that everybody knows that drum corps is a competitive activity. More importantly, it's an even bigger fact that on a drum corps message board, people submit posts wanting to know the scores of a recent show.

So if people wanting to know the scores bother you, why come on the boards?

everybody needs to remember that judging and the resulting scores is also political.

Absolutely true....every show I lost was due to politics......but I never won due to politics, we deserved those victories.

Never figured out how the judges were able to get so many shows right and the rest wrong. Baffling.....

:huh:

A score is nothing more than a number given by a series of judges (most of whom have experiance and expertise, and others who don't). It is very easy for both fans and marching members to get carried away with the results of even the most inane competition (Oswego anyone? :huh: ). Overall, performance and acheivement are what really matter (I'm saying this in my best Scott Stewart voice).

But...

Without judging or scores, this activity would definately not be where it is today. As someone else previously posted, competion is a major part of life. You can look at scoring as a necessary evil if you want. But without it, DCI would be nothing but showbands.