Is DCI the cause or solution

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robert, that takes me to a Comcast login page. Are you sure you have the correct web address?

The gist of the article is that Fever doesn't have the funds to tour. If they choose not to tour, sounds like DCI could fine them $50,000.

Sounds like a serious fund raising effort in an incredibly short amount of time.

The proverbial rock and a hard place.

Edited by bd5times

I'm sure that if Fever discusses the issue with DCI, and decides now not to go on tour, then fines would be minimal, if not eraticated entirely. The article is very slanted and almost blames DCI, however it is Fever who got into the financial troubles in the first place. Did they lose a sponsor?, where revenues lower than expected?....what made their cash inputs and outputs off by $20,000??

The article is very slanted and almost blames DCI,

Definitely one sided. I never knew about the fines for not appearing at shows. I can understand why, however if a corps doesn't have the finances for tour, I can't imagine that DCI would push to get the money particularly if it has the potential of killing off the corps.

It does seem late to raise the red flag now and say "we don't have the funds".

Edited by bd5times

Also found this in the article after rereading it....

"They also hope to recruit a volunteer to write grant applications."

Shouldn't his have been done back in the winter months??

Could someone repost this thread in the Div2/3 forum, It would definately be of interest to some of the readers there. (Im not sure how to repost it!)

The gist of the article is that Fever doesn't have the funds to tour.  If they choose not to tour, sounds like DCI could fine them $50,000.

I read the story in the Modesto Bee, and I still don't believe it. This is possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. $5,000 per show in fines? DCI has never fined a corps $5,000 per show.

Edited by audiodb

Living close to Fever, and knowing several people who currently march in the organization, I feel a little sad. I know many of the staff members from Fever, and they have all told me that they would like to see this group in the near future become a regional division one touring corps. With problems like they are having, this definitely sets them back. I really don't think DCI is to blame, but I also don't know much about the corps management or organization. I had no idea that DCI fines for missing shows. I thought the corps paid to attend, so if they miss, it would be on them.

It would really bite if Fever is not able to do the remainder of their tour. These issues probably should have been addressed prior to them getting on the road though. Perhaps in the future, tuition could be raised. I wish them the best of luck though!

I think the fine system was implemented before the 2003 season. At least that was the first I had ever heard of it. I believe, the fine at the time was up to twice your appearance fee per show missed (it could have been changed to a flat fee of up to $5000). The other possibility is that since the shows on the II/III circuit are run as a pool (all money is put in a pot and divided up based on a predetermined formula), the fine is up to $5000.

DCI reserves the right to levy a fine for any reason a show is missed, including bus breakdowns, corps illness, or simply folding up shop. They are designed to protect the show sponsors, not line DCI's pockets or punish the corps. Show sponsors sign contracts and pay thousands of dollars to host shows. DCI's side of the contract is that X, Y, and Z corps will show up and perform.

Could DCI fine Fever $5000 per show missed? Yes. Would they? I don't know. I'm sure the management of Fever has been in contact with DCI to discuss that very thing. Revolution in 2004 and MGC this year were both given a full slate of shows before they went inactive. Were they fined for not appearing at any of those shows? The situations were different since the season hadn't begun, but they were still on the schedule and I'm assuming contracts had been signed with sponsors.

Also, the DCI office doesn't appear to be unreasonable. For example, the Cadets were in contact with Dan A. last night after their accident and excused from tonights' show.

Brad