Is DCI the cause or solution

I'm sure that if Fever discusses the issue with DCI, and decides now not to go on tour, then fines would be minimal, if not eraticated entirely. The article is very slanted and almost blames DCI, however it is Fever who got into the financial troubles in the first place. Did they lose a sponsor?, where revenues lower than expected?....what made their cash inputs and outputs off by $20,000??

If you read the article, it states that the increase in expenses came from the transportation companies and quotes on gas prices for the tour. I don't think it has anything to do with what Fever did.

Also found this in the article after rereading it....

"They also hope to recruit a volunteer to write grant applications."

Shouldn't his have been done back in the winter months??

Could someone repost this thread in the Div2/3 forum, It would definately be of interest to some of the readers there. (Im not sure how to repost it!)

It isn't easy finding a good grant writing who will work with a group for free. And if one has to go out and pay for one... it's almost like gambling, because you can never be too sure how much money in grants the writer can bring in... and at times it could be less than what you're paying the writer.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gas prices have been high for a while now and from a management standpoint, this should have been alloted for during the winter and spring.

As for a grant writter. Corps that I have worked with in the past have had the Corps Director and Board of Directors' members fill out grant applications and they have been quit successful in getting funds.

For the record:

Fever does need the funds to go. We have been working really hard and it looks like Fever will be going to Boston to show the East Coast what we have got!

DCI said they would fine us $5000 a show if we did not go on the northern tour, which would have made it easy to go to Boston. So we are planning for the worst if we do not go on the "big" tour. The bus company is allowing us to pay while the corps is on tour, so we have a team of dedicated parents that are staying back to make sure FEVER will be HOT in Boston!

I don't take NO for an answer, so be ready for when FEVER shows up at your door!

lew,

you've done a fantastic job--don't let anything stand in your way--or the corps!

perserverance is the key!

you know what you need to do, as you have shown with fielding this great corps.

the east coast will welcome fever with open arms.

bravo to a director with great heart and soul.

best regards,

bob

Fever

[ if the mods could change the title from "of" to "or"...thanks ]

Glad everbody is so interested in FEVERS situation.It does bother me however that without any other information than what they read in the article that soooo many knowledgeable and experienced drum corps founders and managers ,as I'm sure all of them are, are able to discern exactly what the problem is and what fools FEVER management must be for not knowing the future.

So let's help everbody get it right

1)NOBODY AND I MEAN NOBODY should point to DCI as being the cause. We all get into AND OUT OF problems every year(LIKE HAVING TO HAVE CORPS MEMBERS PUSH BUSSES THAT DON'T FUNCTION PROPERLY )probably due to a lack of foresight on someones part, without it always having to be DCI'S fault. If drum corps should have taught all of us anything ,it is that we have to take responsibility for our own actions,not blame somebody or something for what's wrong. Example: don't blame the stone you tripped over for your inability to watch where you're going.

2) Fuel costs for all of you who don't know don't just effect the cost of fuel... food is more expensive now than it was a year ago, anything shipped any other way than transporter tube cost more today than it did a year ago.

3)Admittedly a grant writer last year would have been wonderful.Sadly they don't crawl out of the woodwork.

4) A grant writer last year, wasn't an Important "acquisition" However some normally BIG fundraising events (like FEVERS home show didn't turn out as well as in the past two years. Thus creating a "hole" in funds.

5) Finally I think the last part of that last sentence needs to be repeated "the last two years"

Anybody else started a drum corps in the last three years that was succesful enough to go to Finals in only their second year and place as well as FEVER?

AND WILL GO AGAIN AND DO EVEN MORE AMAZING THINGS?!!!

Rest easy America this is a hiccup and it's all due to a series of unfortunate events not ONE BIG BAD ORGANIZATION TO BLAME FOR EVERYTHING INCLUDING MY EVER INCREASING BALD SPOT.

TO EVERBODY WHO JUST WANTS TO BLAME DCI OR CORPS MANAGEMENT TURN ON THE TELEVISION YOU'RE MISSING JERRY SPRINGER, or flip on George Nori for the latest conspiracy theory.see ya' in Boston and ALL POINTS BETWEEN,

Edited by MARK74

^0^

Removed my original response since it took away from what the issue is.

I will say, since I was quoted in the above reponse (for some reason).

The posters to this thread did not say that DCI was going to bill Fever $50,000 for not touring and that that bill would kill them. This thread is merely a reaction to the article.

If that's an issue, take it up with the reporter and those interviewed. If you want to argue...... :) I'm game.

Edited by bd5times

i'd say the writer needed to call DCI and get the facts from them. and, IMO, i dont see DCI at fault here. donations, grants etc should have been planned for long ago. we saw gas prices were continuing to climb

Not sure what this post is saying. Is the corps going straight to Championship week and not fulfilling the obligations it made along the way? Are there enough funds to feed and transport the organization from California to New England. Just how thinly stretched will the finances and support staff be, especially if a group of parents will be staying home to raise funds?

Gas & transportation costs are not something new. At all.

Sounds like taking no for an answer may be the more responsible act. I am sure the fans of Div 2/3 would like to see the corps at Championships, but not at the expense of long term survival. All heat/sun/fever based euphemisms aside, I hope the management of the corps stays more focused on the well being of the membership than competitive endeavors.

For the record:

Fever does need the funds to go. We have been working really hard and it looks like Fever will be going to Boston to show the East Coast what we have got!

DCI said they would fine us $5000 a show if we did not go on the northern tour, which would have made it easy to go to Boston. So we are planning for the worst if we do not go on the "big" tour. The bus company is allowing us to pay while the corps is on tour, so we have a team of dedicated parents that are staying back to make sure FEVER will be HOT in Boston!

I don't take NO for an answer, so be ready for when FEVER shows up at your door!

For the record:

Sounds like DCI isn't HELPING solve the problem. They know the the smaller corps work on smaller and tighter budgets, so instead of working with Fever to figure out a way to fix this problem, DCI is just penalizing the corps for being unprepared....but then how many corps were expecting fuel costs to just so high and so fast in the spring?

Does DCI do the same to the big corps? Will Cadets be penalized the $5000 for not showing up at last night's show (because of the accident)?

If you read the article on DCI about the Cadets little accident it says.......

"Cadets Director George Hopkins, in agreement with DCI executive director Dan Acheson, decided it is in best interest of the corps to withdraw from the Wichita Falls show this evening. The Cadets would like to apologize to the show sponsor for the inconvenience"

That more than likely means they wont be penalized, due to the circumstances..