From the concrete canyons of New York City

there was a picture of that plaque here on DCp last summer. :)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there was a picture of that plaque here on DCp last summer.  :)

Yes there was. But it looks better up close and personal. The plaque is cemented into the ground and is about 12' long x 6" deep. If you visit the area, there are a whole bunch of these plaques in the ground...Armstrong lands on the moon, etc.

Gave me goosebumps when I saw it in person, as I don't get into the city as much as I'd like to. Saw it when my son's class went on a walking field trip from Battery Park to Fraunces Tavern this past spring.

Barbara

i know where it is and who took the picture because i was there the day it was taken. i was the one who first noticed the plaque. we both took pictures but the other person got home first and posted his first. we attempted to ask that day police persons what the plaques were for to no avail. on DCp we asked the same question and received the answer we anticipated. the plaques are for all those who had a ticker tape parade down Broadway. (please note ~ not all plaques for all parades have been placed yet)

:)

ummm ~ the plaque is no way 12 feet' long tho. :huh: 2-3 feet at best. :)

Edited by LegalEagle50

You know, it's like a New Yorker moving to Florida. They're still a New Yorker.

We've been mostly in Jersey this year because it's a little more central for everyone.

I'd love to be truely in NY, but theres parking problems and location problems as well and there's the BQE, THE LIE, AND THE SOUTHERN STATE. UUUGGGGGGHHHHH, SHOULD I SAY MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh boy here we go. dude, NY will always be NY.

and I hope h*ll freezes over before it could ever change! Sean, that is an awesome pic of the snareline!

Actually, right in front of 800 Broadway in the good ol' apple there is a bronze plate in the sidewalk which reads:

October 14, 1954:  Garbarina Mazarakos Post #1505, New York, NY

For winning the American Legion National Championships

Sock it in Garbarina...Let's go!

Barbara

You can take the girl out of the city, but you can't take the city out of the girl!

Actually, it is in front of 80 Broadway, it says 1949 and it's Post #1523 and it commemorates a tickertape parade hosted by the city in their honor; and there are also plaques listing many other honorees of such parades all along both sides of lower Broadway. Just trying to keep it accurate. Thanks for the mention.

New York is still our 'home, sweet home'!

Ray

Actually, it is in front of 80 Broadway, it says 1949 and it's Post #1523 and it commemorates a tickertape parade hosted by the city in their honor; and there are also plaques listing many other honorees of such parades all along both sides of lower Broadway. Just trying to keep it accurate. Thanks for the mention.

New York is still our 'home, sweet home'!

Ray

Thanks, Ray for the clarification. I should've known it was 80, I tried to find the picture on my computer, but I couldn't, thus the wrong information on the plaque.

And it did seem to be 12' long, Liz, but I was inaccurate on that one also. Probably because it took me 3 pictures to get it, but what kind of angle can you expect from a 5'0" girl. :worthy:

Anyway, it's a proud thing for our drum corps and our history.

Sock it in Garbarina!

Barbara

P.S.: When I'm wrong, I'm wrong...I'd be the first to admit it. :(

Edited by flaggirl86

Actually, it is in front of 80 Broadway

Easier landmark: Bank of NY's 1 Wall Street Building is right in front of this plaque if you're walking away from the anatomically correct bull on Bowling Green.

It's pretty cool. I first saw it in 1998, coincidentally just after the corps (actually) went inactive for the season. I point it out to anyone who'll listen whenever I pass it.

Well, not anyone. There are plenty of people talking to anyone (or no one) who will or won't listen all over the city.. You know what i mean.. :P

-rt