Difficulty in DCA scoring

Do you find DCA more or less entertaining since they took the "difficulty caption" off the sheets?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find DCA more or less entertaining since they took the "difficulty caption" off the sheets?

• yes
    • no
    • Gee, that's the difference in DCA this year!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty obvious that the guy that started the thread hasn't seen anyone this summer, and is going off of online reviews.

FACT: The Reading Buccaneers have an extremely difficult program for 2005. We're playing Adagio for Strings, for the love of god. No, it's not notey, but the challenges in intonation and balance are far and above the average corps fare. We're also playing Britten's Young Person's Guide. You want to tell me that's not a challenging piece? Try checking out the multi-meter section towards the end (3/4 against 6/8). You might also want to watch and listen to the drumline sometime (especially watch the cymbals).

FACT: Our drill and color guard program design is second to none this summer. Yea, I know, bold statement. Come watch it...no one is doing more difficult drill than we are this year (and it's far more difficult stamina-wise than 2004's drill, which was probably second only to Cabs in terms of difficulty).

FACT: The Bushwackers aren't slouching this summer either. While I haven't seen thier visual yet, thier music is no joke. They have a tremendously difficult musical book, and they are playing it well.

FACT: DCA corps on the whole are incredibly exciting, and it goes way beyond the "contenders". Bucs are probably more exciting than they've been since 1980. Cabs are presenting an exciting program even with the problems the corps have been having. Bush is as exciting as they've been in many years. Oh, yea...though I haven't seen them yet, I'm pretty sure Renegades aren't slacking in the excitement department either, nor are MBI.

My suggestion to you is to come out and see a show. And if you have, try opening your eyes and ears next time.

It's pretty obvious that the guy that started the thread hasn't seen anyone this summer, and is going off of online reviews.

FACT: The Reading Buccaneers have an extremely difficult program for 2005. We're playing Adagio for Strings, for the love of god. No, it's not notey, but the challenges in intonation and balance are far and above the average corps fare. We're also playing Britten's Young Person's Guide. You want to tell me that's not a challenging piece? Try checking out the multi-meter section towards the end (3/4 against 6/8). You might also want to watch and listen to the drumline sometime (especially watch the cymbals).

FACT: Our drill and color guard program design is second to none this summer. Yea, I know, bold statement. Come watch it...no one is doing more difficult drill than we are this year (and it's far more difficult stamina-wise than 2004's drill, which was probably second only to Cabs in terms of difficulty).

FACT: The Bushwackers aren't slouching this summer either. While I haven't seen thier visual yet, thier music is no joke. They have a tremendously difficult musical book, and they are playing it well.

FACT: DCA corps on the whole are incredibly exciting, and it goes way beyond the "contenders". Bucs are probably more exciting than they've been since 1980. Cabs are presenting an exciting program even with the problems the corps have been having. Bush is as exciting as they've been in many years. Oh, yea...though I haven't seen them yet, I'm pretty sure Renegades aren't slacking in the excitement department either, nor are MBI.

My suggestion to you is to come out and see a show. And if you have, try opening your eyes and ears next time.

I was at quite a few shows this summer so far and, YOU GUYS ROCK! It's great to see. I am also enamored by your cymbal line. Make no bones about it...seeing you at the show in April, then again at the Reading show and at Clifton..I'm rooting for you guys to win it all. Yes, I haven't seen the corps from the midwest or west, but I'm waiting patiently. And you truly deserved all of the winning captions in Clifton!

P.S.: Eyes and ears have been open for a long time.

Wow, this question hit a nerve!

I agree that the difficulty remains firmly in place among the DCA corps. And certainly so does the entertainment value. But going back to the question how does this affect scores if at all? I would guess the question is more relevant to the Eastern corps since the Midwest and West are still just getting used to utilizing DCA sheets this year. Have you guys noticed any issues with it? Are you still getting credit for difficulty even though it may not technically be relevant? I hope this was the original intent of the question.

Wow, this question hit a nerve!

I agree that the difficulty remains firmly in place among the DCA corps.  And certainly so does the entertainment value.  But going back to the question how does this affect scores if at all?  I would guess the question is more relevant to the Eastern corps since the Midwest and West are still just getting used to utilizing DCA sheets this year.  Have you guys noticed any issues with it?  Are you still getting credit for difficulty even though it may not technically be relevant?  I hope this was the original intent of the question.

This was the original intent of this thread.

Edited by nightstandstalker

The notion that difficulty is not a scoring factor because there is no separate subcaption is inaccurate. DCA implemented the use of achievement for all captions commencing in the 2001 season. Under the achievement philosophy one considers both "what" a corps is doing along with "how" they are performing. It is a simultaneous process that credits both the content and the performance.

So if you notice any changes in DCA, it's not a factor of the scoring system disregarding the challenges placed on performers simply because it doesn't.

BTW, Chris please don't hold back. Tell folks how you really feel. B)

And the really hard music to play WHILE marching a difficult

drill doesn't exist anymore.

Not true at all. Have you seen ouir show?? The trumpets, mellos, and baris are all playing 16th note runs, and features while marching at 150-160 at different points in our show. Check it out.

First of all, I'm not bashing ANY drum corps.  I didn't mention one!  I would've changed the poll to More or Less if I could've gotten back in to change it.  Also, sorry for the "relevant"  wrong wording.  This post was not intended as a slam to any drum corps or the Association itself.  All I wanted to know is that why is there no more "difficulty of performance" in drum corps?  Used to be that a drum corps (any drum corps) would do a difficult move and get credit for it.  Now, there is no room for "difficulty".  And the really hard music to play WHILE marching a difficult

drill doesn't exist anymore. Any "hard moves" are only judged against a drum corps.  So I'm sure that the pinwheels and 40 yard company fronts are history, but hopefully not.

Yes, there are some really really good drum corps out there this year (as there are every year), but as I sit in the stands to watch, it seems that they're getting watered down to "meet the sheets".  What about the fans who pay $20+ to see a show?  I've been to a few shows this summer and have noticed a dwindling of standing ovations through the years when EVERY corps got a standing ovation after their performance.

Chris, I am a fan of many drum corps and mean no disrespect to any one of them, and I am not a troll by any means.  I have been affiliated with drum corps since the late 1970's as a performer, now a fan.  This was not posted maliciously.  I just wanted to know by what I saw at the shows I've attended.

EVERY drum corps works hard, strives to be the best at their sport and continues to get better.  I wish every single one of them luck throughout the rest of the season.  See you in Scranton.  I'll be the one yelling the loudest!  For every corps.

You stomp them.

DCA is supposed to credit both What and How each corps does on the field on a sliding scale. Of course, there will be different interpretations of this sliding scale from judge to judge in each caption, but let's face it, no system is completely objective.

DCA corps generally have between 8-14 hours a weekend to rehearse, so the question of What is very important when the designers put together their shows for their corps. They have to consider both what they are trying to achieve and what they honestly think that their corps can handle. This has to happen before they really have an idea of the strengths and weaknesses of the various sections of the corps.

It's a tricky game but from what I have seen of DCA in recent years, many corps have found what works for their respective programs. The goal should be for each corps to push their program to both a higher achievement level (The How) while attempting to rasie the content & effect level of their program (The What).

If all the DCA corps concentrated on this each year, the quality level of DCA could increase at the same time as they are seeing a large number of new corps formed.