Cadets to top of the scoreboard

If your theory is correct, the Cavaliers should have beat the Blue Devils in 2003.

Tough call.

You think the Cavies '03 show was harder than BD's? Musically or visually? Or both?

I disagree with all of the above. The Cavies drill looks cooler, and its my favorite overall drill design ever, especially in the opener, but it wasn't any more challenging than BD's, IMO. About even as far as challenge goes. Musically, I would give the challenging award to BD.

I think what Hopkins was saying is that the Cadets' show is among the most challenging out there this year, but that since some of its elements are outside of conventional drum corps, the judges may not be giving it the credit it deserves. I haven't seen it, so I can't say one way or the other, but that's what I got from his statements.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, when I read this, all I can think is "the judges aren't giving us enough credit for the show and this is why they should...". Of course, that impression is likely helped by the fact that I've seen several other blog entries with the same basic message. In the past couple years it was that the show was clearly the most entertaining in DCI that year, and so that should be reflected in the scores. Now, it's that the Cadets are bringing the most to the table, and that should be reflected in the scores.

What I've learned is that Vic is right; it seems that George always wants to be scoring better than he is, no matter who he's beating, and that he quite often feels the Cadets are the best corps out there, and with the best show. Those certainly aren't bad qualities, not for a director of a corps. The Cadets oranization is lucky to have someone that will never settle for scores, and always has faith in his group.

I just wish, though, that he wouldn't always lay things at the feet of the judges, and imply that it's the judges fault for not "getting it" and seeing things his way...

I as well really enjoy reading Hop's blog. For me its one of the daily things I do after I check out the DCI scores and email.

As for the Cadets, whether or not their show is the most challenging on the field or not, I can't tell you since I have not seen them yet this season. Whatever the show, you can bet they are going to perform it very well.

It's interesting what's left out of quotes sometimes. At the end of the same Blog posting mentioned above was the following:

"Well .. as for the Cadets ...

this show is special. It has been challenging and it is challengng today.

All said ... 10 years from now, I think this will be one of my grandest memories. The year, the kids, and the program. It has changed what we do .. and it will open the door to new ideas. Sure, there are other approaches that will gain credit but ... at the heart of marching music, it feels good to be challenging the status quo again. That may mean we leave the field with the Cavies or BD left behind. If so ... so be it. The experience has been worth it.

The joy ... worth it. The effort -- worth it."

I think this goes a long way for saying that, while GH is obviously somewhat frustrated by certain judges’ lack of attention to some of the major creative aspects of the show; he is still more focused on executing to the highest potential over where they place. At the same time, it is a competitive enterprise and scores/placements are important for recruiting, fund-raising, fee size, etc. so only a delusional individual could totally ignore the scores.

My sister once had to coordinate an event that was part of the competition for the Miss Universe pageant. My grandmother and I watched that pageant. Grandma hated it. Why? Because my sister didn't win. But grandma, she wasn't actually IN the pageant, I said. Grandma replied: "So? The other girls can't hold a candle to your sister!"

Like my grandmother, Hopkins isn't supposed to be objective, and anyone who reads his blog needs to understand that. He's an advocate for his corps, so he's saying what any decent advocate should say. Is he right? Maybe. Is he wrong? Maybe. Does it matter what he says? Not in the grand scheme of things because he's not the Wizard of Oz. His word carries no more weight than Feidler's or Gibb's. All of them are just men behind the curtain who make it look magic when it isn't. And all of them surely think their children are better than everyone else's.

Now as for second-guessing the judges, I haven't seen either BD or Cavies yet, but I'm comfortable saying Cadets' show is wicked difficult, as difficult as anything I've seen on the field in a while. I'd still suggest that Hopkins might be a little ahead of himself. The degree of difficulty will be less apparent until similarly performing corps appear together. Then we'll whether the judges are giving credit where it's due.

HH

Reading snips from George's blog, I have to throw out these comments...

1.  Those blog comments from a guy who admitted ADDING to a show that is already getting penalties for being over time.

2.  Reading b/e/t/w/e/e/n the lines, tell me George isn't a little bit mad he isn;t beating some corps, or beating some corps by more points!!!

3.  If George's "theory" on difficulty is to be taken true, then Bluecoats should be beating Cadets by a few tenths already.  'Coats drum book, pit & battery, is more difficult then Cadets, and the brass books of both corps are about the same level.  BUT, 'Coats are non-stop and high energy for their entire show...

C'Mon, George, where are you REALLY going with this difficulty stuff???

:worthy:

lets not get carried away---Bluecoats are fantastic this year, but to say that they're drum book is harder is absurd. they simply make it look easy. and as far as the brass, considering the tempos they're going, Bocook arrangements are ridiculous, far more challenging in subtlety than Thrower. Don Hill will admit that much--he wrote for Cadets for a couple years. He knows he's no Bocook.

I'm not taking anything away from your alumn, they are clearly extremely talented this year, but lets not overdo it.

It's interesting what's left out of quotes sometimes.  At the end of the same Blog posting mentioned above was the following:

"Well .. as for the Cadets ...

this show is special. It has been challenging and it is challengng today.

All said ... 10 years from now, I think this will be one of my grandest memories. The year, the kids, and the program. It has changed what we do .. and it will open the door to new ideas. Sure, there are other approaches that will gain credit but ... at the heart of marching music, it feels good to be challenging the status quo again. That may mean we leave the field with the Cavies or BD left behind. If so ... so be it. The experience has been worth it.

The joy ... worth it. The effort -- worth it."

I think he said this same thing to the Cadets who marched last year? Something about it being his "grandest memory" or "favorite corps". I remember watching him as prepared them for finals and said that he will always remember that group as one

Guest DrumCorpFan
From Hopkins Blog 7/21:

But ... when I see who we are, what we do, and the risk we have taken ... I worry. I worry about who is receiving the presentation. Will they be able to perceive all that is stacked in the program? Will we be good enough to please those with clipboards? Will one of the more interesting programs I have been involved with, go down in history or will it simply be a footnote.

George, have you asked, "Will we be good enough to please those in the stands?" Do you care if you please those in the stands or is it only those with the clipboards?