Cadets to top of the scoreboard

Oh well, what do I know.  I apologize for upsetting you, Victor.  You are a good man because I know you love the Bluecoats, and so do I.  I guess I just get tired of all the slamming and the accusations and the conspiracy theories that seem to mount due to Hopkins.  This forum gets pretty negative sometimes, and I don't handle that well.  It's not my forte, and I react badly to it.

Peace,

Jonathan

I don't get upset.... I just bash George Hopkins!!!

b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs

(Humor Switch turned to "off" position)

See you on 7/31/05 in Massillon!!! I'm in Section 3, Row W, seats 31-34.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just love it how someone will take something George Hopkins writes in his blog, post it on DCP, and everyone just chimes in with their superior logic while slamming this man and the Cadets.  Blogs are personal, yet they are posted. So, sure, there is a risk of people reading and posting these thoughts for all to see, and for all to criticise.  But you guys take the cake. Let me tell you.  All of you are just so righteous and perfect, and Geroge must be the devil.  Remember that the comments he makes in his blog may well just be his reflections on things.  They may not be comments that he shares with the kids or staff, or even the judges.  If it was Scott Stewart you guys would treat him so differently, but it's George, and you just love to slam every little comment he makes.  You love to theorize over every little supposed hint that you feel he is dropping. 

Hey, you are all welcome to your opinion, but at some point you just have to ask yourself this: is it about hate?  Is it about a dislike for the Cadets and Hopkins?  Is it just fun to #####? 

The last time I checked, the Cadets were one of the best and most entertaining drum corps in the history of the activity.  You may not like every show, but you cannot deny their excellence or their success in producing some of the finest, most musical, and most entertaining shows we have all seen.  How is this so bad?  Is it so bad that when the director decides to write something in his blog about what HE thinks of the show and how it should be scored that you all have to set him straight?

Maybe he's right and the Cadets should be scoring higher.  Their show is absolutely amazing, and he has the right to his opinion about his corps.

Jonathan

Well his comments might be his "reflections" but he doesn't "have to post them on a blog" for the whole world to see does he? Before these "personal reflections" were written in private on paper in a journal for no one else to see. Now everyone has their blog and that is public so anything they say that is viewed by the public is out there for interpretations.

I don't see anyone "bashing" him just merely making "personal reflections" of his "personal reflections.

And Maybe he's wrong about the Cadets and they are scoring right where they should be. Have you thought about that? You might think their show is absolutely amazing and that is your right but don't come on here "slamming others" who are giving their "personal reflections" on his personal reflections. He put it out there. :)

He has the right to his opinion but if he puts it out there for the world to see, well people can make their interpretations, there is no law against that. The reason I think more people "dissect" his blogs is because he does keep a blog, something so personal and private and makes it available for this. He put himself in this position by posting blogs. I don't even like writing in a blog because of that factor.

Oh and Yes, I have seen the show, and I don't see it anymore difficult then what the Cavaliers are doing. In my opinion it seems to have a lot of gimmicks covering up a lot of talent.

Edited by Lancerlady

In my opinion it seems to have a lot of gimmicks covering up a lot of talent.

"There are no gimmicks in drum corps!!!'

b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs

Edited by victorcoly

I say we have the rest of you put up your blogs as well so I and others can second guess every little thing you write or say, or perhaps elude to. 

If the rest of us put up blogs we should well expect others to second guess anything and

everything we wrote. Of course I personally would not have nearly as many folks interested

in reading my blog as does the director of The Cadets.

I would remind you that at the bottom of each of Hopkins blog posts is an icon for

posting COMMENTS. I would assume that means he is interested in hearing out thoughts

to what he has written. Some of us choose to do that on this forum.

I actually happen to be a fan of both The Cadets and their director.

I just love it how someone will take something George Hopkins writes in his blog, post it on DCP, and everyone just chimes in with their superior logic while slamming this man and the Cadets.  Blogs are personal, yet they are posted. So, sure, there is a risk of people reading and posting these thoughts for all to see, and for all to criticise.

There's more than a risk. Posting his thoughts like that is essentially an open invitation. As oldbandguy above me pointed out, there's even a link for visitors to post comments. Diaries and journals might be personal, but they lose that status when you post them online for all to see. They enter public domain, and for that reason they become open to criticism. If that bothers you, notice what Hopkins is doing in his post. He is in fact using it to criticize the judges, and fault them for not recognizing his wonderful creation. Is it really so shocking, then, that we offer up some criticism of our own? It seems to be the whole reason that Hopkins keeps his blog running, after all...

I don't think it's really him wanting them to recognize his creation, but more of him being upset that he didn't even get a chance to explain about the show. That's the whole point of the staff meeting with the judges after the show. So they can explain the harder to understand concepts that they may have.

In my opinion it seems to have a lot of gimmicks covering up a lot of talent.

I completely agree with what you said about Hops' blog. I haven't seen very many people slamming him in this thread, for a change. :)

However, I haven't seen this years' Cadets show, but I have yet to see a show where kids' talent fails to shine through. It certainly does on the APD I have. Maybe I don't try hard enough not to see their talent. Of course, I hope I never get to a point where I do.

lets not get carried away---Bluecoats are fantastic this year, but to say that they're drum book is harder is absurd. 

Give me a break...Bluecoats have a harder drum book. Get over it. :P

What is wrong with you?  I'll respond to you again when and if you can discuss things like a big boy.   

Goodness.

Excuse me? How DARE you patronize me! I simply stated my opinion about the matter (which I feel strongly about). If you can't handle it, then go somewhere else. :wub: :wub: :worthy: :worthy:

Are we safer with George W. Bush as President rather then John Kerry?

I'll speculate.  #### NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Please keep the political discussions in the political thread.

I just love it how someone will take something George Hopkins writes in his blog, post it on DCP, and everyone just chimes in with their superior logic while slamming this man and the Cadets.  Blogs are personal, yet they are posted. So, sure, there is a risk of people reading and posting these thoughts for all to see, and for all to criticise.  But you guys take the cake. Let me tell you.  All of you are just so righteous and perfect, and Geroge must be the devil.  Remember that the comments he makes in his blog may well just be his reflections on things.  They may not be comments that he shares with the kids or staff, or even the judges.  If it was Scott Stewart you guys would treat him so differently, but it's George, and you just love to slam every little comment he makes.  You love to theorize over every little supposed hint that you feel he is dropping. 

Please...If George didn't want people to talk about his opinions, he wouldn't post them on the internet, he would keep them to himself. He KNOWS that people read his blog...sheesh!

I think we are a lot safer with George Bush. I will take him any day over Clinton, Gore, or Kerry.  My opinion is that this country needs more Christianity, more conservative thought, and less sitting on the fence.  So I am pretty happy with the conservative nature of this country.  JMO.

Jonathan

Please leave the political discussions in the political thread.

Edited by Cardman

I don't think it's really him wanting them to recognize his creation, but more of him being upset that he didn't even get a chance to explain about the show.  That's the whole point of the staff meeting with the judges after the show.  So they can explain the harder to understand concepts that they may have.

Such a good point here. The judges for finals will more than likely hear ALL about the details they should be seeing in the show from critique sessions through out the summer. If they didn't get it on one or two viewings, they will eventually start to look for things that are mentioned to them to look for. It could very well be innocent..."we were trying to protray this here...what can we do to make that clear to you?" The judges, in a way, are responsible in part to design issues in the shows.

In this Cadets show, this will be an advantage. A judge on finals night will not be seeing the show for the first time, and will know where to look and what to look for through past experience with this show. (all of theother corps will have the same advantage, by the way). I just think there are so many levels to the cadets show that the real credit will come when it really counts....finals week.

As for degree of difficulty...Cadets show is more demanding than Cavies, and more creative. its not really fair to say cadets rely on gimmicks any more than cavies do. cavies have proven that they can be ultra creative. now they are proving that they can be obvious. I think it might cost them in the end.