The Birth of a Champion, part two (SCV story)

The Birth of a Champion, part two

Paul K. Towne marched Santa Clara Vanguard just as the corps was beginning to make its dramatic move up through the ranks. This story is a remarkable walk through an important time of an important corps.

We started the story last week with Part One, a story preceding the first competitions of 1970.

In Paul’s own words, the continued story of Santa Clara Vanguard’s journey to the top is something of wonder and awe.

Excellent story Paul!

What ever happened to the guy who got kicked out?

Paul, I enjoyed reading your inside accounting of what it was like during Santa Clara's rise to champion status. Most of my early memories of the Vanguard were observations of their excellence from a distance and from recordings. I do have a couple memories which I would like to pass along.

The first time I ever saw Santa Clara was at the "National Preview" show August 13, 1969 at Batavia, NY. Although I did not have a good vantage point to view the show since I was competing with my own corps (we finished 5 points behind Santa Clara), I clearly remember the freshness and excitement that seemed to surround this "new face" on the drum corps scene. From my end zone vantage point (it seems like we must have gone on next), I can recall being impressed with the daring and difficult opener (Procession of the Nobles). I was impressed that they would attempt this on the field with the exposures to execution errors which it presented. I was quite familiar with the technical challenges of the piece since my high school band had played it that same year, but in a sit-down concert format! At that time drum corps was obsessed with execution perfection and to play a piece that was so open to error was almost unthinkable. Santa Clara definitely seemed to me to be on the "vanguard" of a new approach to drum corps. Four years later in 1973 my own corps was playing this very piece of music and by 1974 as I related in my article on the Purple Lancers this approach was coveted as the way to do drum corps.

Another memory I have of Vanguard was 1971 at Emporium, Pennsylvania where I was sharing time playing with a small local corps (Tri-Town Cadets). I remember the sense of awe which the regal strains of "Overture to the Globe Playhouse from Henry V" generated in me as the corps cruised OTL. I felt that I had seen the next level of drum corps!

It was interesting to read your description of auditioning for the horn line before the 1970 season. Even though your corps was a rapidly rising star, it seems that it was still very much a "word of mouth" community fraternity at that point with the benefit of visionary leadership in an area with above average financial and membership resources. Still I could relate to many of the same drum corps constants which I experienced in my average sized community drum corps (Appleknockers) at the time.

It must have been special to play under Gail Royer. Although I never met the man, I remember well playing at a 1974 pre-season clinic with the Purple Lancers in Buffalo where he was the emcee using our performance to highlight different aspects of drum corps arranging and performance. I guess it was no small coincidence that our program aspired to be "Santa Clara-esque" that year. :)

Edited by Geneva

Sweet history of the corps! ^OO^ The beginnings of a legacy that would stand the test of time.

It shows one thing for certain...the Santa Clara Vanguard has lots of mawtsy! (spelling?)

What ever happened to the guy who got kicked out?

Steve never marched again. He did hang out for a couple of years!

Sweet history of the corps!  ^OO^  The beginnings of a legacy that would stand the test of time.

It shows one thing for certain...the Santa Clara Vanguard has lots of mawtsy! (spelling?)

I think it's spelled Moxley, as in Tim (Sop in 70 - DM 71-74) and Mike (Sop - soloist in 70 - instructor - Director BD I don't recall the years)