A finals first?

No it hasn't, and I think only the top 9 will break 90.

We had this same type of talk last season at around this time....but it didn't happen!! Corps like Glassmen, Spirit, or BK would have to move up what....8-10 points....I guess it could happen!!! :)

Wasn't last year's season a bit shorter than this one? I think there's an extra week this time around.

True, that might make a difference!! :)

I doubt it. With each night during finals week there are fewer corps left and that gives the judges more room to play with. The old saying applies, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Could there be a chance that all finalist corps will break 90?

I got a C Note for wagering, James, that says it doesn't happen!

:)

The spread from 1st to 12th right now is over 9 points...which is probably one of the closest seasons ever. I don't see that spread getting any closer, in fact it will more than likely widen. If the top corps posts a 98 at finals, then with the current spread the 12th place corps would be in the 89 range, which is not too shabby. BUT, at finals, the scores for the lower placed corps nearly always drops while the top corps rise. So I predict that the current 9 point spread from 1st to 12th will widen to a 12-14 point spread on finals night.

Edited by ssorrell

Looking back on history...

Average Number of corps to break 90:

Early 70s - 0

Late 70s - 3

80's - 6

Early 90s - 6-7

Late 90's-2000s - 8

The number of corps breaking 90 has definitely increased over the years. The record is 9 in 1992 and 2004. For along time in the late 90s and well into the 2000s there was a string of years where 8 broke 90.

I have a feeling one of these years, if not this year, we will finally see 10 break 90. I can see it happen this year...

Could there be a chance that all finalist corps will break 90?

Has that ever happened before?  Someone look into that.  I'm going to watch Bluecoats practice.

It will likely never happen...the judges do a decent job creating separation between corps, especially during DCI Championships.

1. 98-something

2. high 97 or low 98

3. low 97 or high 96

4 & 5. mid-90's

6 thru 8. low-90's

9 & 10. around 90 or high-80's

11 & 12. high to mid-80's

...or something like it. I know this seems technical and corny, but once you start plugging all the numbers, this is pretty much what it'll look like every year. :P