The Anti-Narration BD Thread

heres a solution...

GET OVER IT

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know in hindsight…

I still think this was an ill conceived, lousy show that I have only watched once on the DVD and skiped a few times in the stands and doubtfully will I ever watch again

2005 blue devils don’t really exist to me

Edited by cowtown

Nor to me. That's what I determined after the 2005 season. They just didn't field a corps that year in my mind.

You know in hindsight…

I still think this was an ill conceived, lousy show that I have only watched once on the DVD and skiped a few times in the stands and doubtfully will I ever watch again

Funny thing is ... I still say this could have been one of the greatest shows of all time. Concept was brilliant -- just didn't come across. They simply didn't make it obvious that what they were doing was a backwards dance marathon, so it all seemed incomprehensible. When my wife saw the show for the first time at Quarters, I hadn't prepped her with anything about it, and after it was over she had this puzzled look on her face. When I said "backwards dance marathon" she went "ooooooohhhhhhhhh!!!" and liked it a little better the next night. But that lack of understanding was the show's downfall, imo.

Funny thing is ... I still say this could have been one of the greatest shows of all time. Concept was brilliant -- just didn't come across. They simply didn't make it obvious that what they were doing was a backwards dance marathon, so it all seemed incomprehensible. When my wife saw the show for the first time at Quarters, I hadn't prepped her with anything about it, and after it was over she had this puzzled look on her face. When I said "backwards dance marathon" she went "ooooooohhhhhhhhh!!!" and liked it a little better the next night. But that lack of understanding was the show's downfall, imo.

Another reason why I love drum corps from before this decade. It's not that hard to "get" amazing music and amazing drill. :blink:

Another reason why I love drum corps from before this decade. It's not that hard to "get" amazing music and amazing drill. :blink:

I hear ya -- but there were plenty of concept shows as well before this decade.

It's risky, though:

Get the concept across = chance for successful show

Don't get the concept across = not

I hear ya -- but there were plenty of concept shows as well before this decade.

It's risky, though:

Get the concept across = chance for successful show

Don't get the concept across = not

Even if you don't get your concept across, as long as you have the music and drill to back it up, it doesn't really matter. The "concept" is the icing on the cake. For example, I had only had the audio portion of Cadets 1995 for about a year, and it quickly became one of my favorite shows just from listening to the recording. I had no idea of the story, or the props, or even that it was about World War II. It was just music to me. Finally seeing the show completed for me, but I was still able to enjoy it significantly without knowing the "concept."

When the show becomes more about the "concept" than about the performance, that's when something's wrong.

When the show becomes more about the "concept" than about the performance, that's when something's wrong.

Well, not "wrong", imo, but definately risky.

I couldn't even tell you if I liked the music and drill from BD '05 because I got so wrapped up in worrying about how the concept wasn't coming across.

I mean it's like a Broadway musical -- they can have great songs and lyrics, but if the story makes no sense, you don't care about the songs. But a great story can salvage (to some extent) less than stellar songs sometimes.

I understand your position on this, and I don't disagree that great playing and drill is the key. But I do think that on top of that, a clever concept can put you over the top if done right -- or cut you off at the knees if you don't !!!!

Well, not "wrong", imo, but definately risky.

I couldn't even tell you if I liked the music and drill from BD '05 because I got so wrapped up in worrying about how the concept wasn't coming across.

I mean it's like a Broadway musical -- they can have great songs and lyrics, but if the story makes no sense, you don't care about the songs. But a great story can salvage (to some extent) less than stellar songs sometimes.

I understand your position on this, and I don't disagree that great playing and drill is the key. But I do think that on top of that, a clever concept can put you over the top if done right -- or cut you off at the knees if you don't !!!!

Yup!