Judges Anti-Phantom?

Obviously, the judges aren't litteraly anti-regiment, but it sure seems like it. Best show they've had in years but are still being put in the average position that they've been in for the past several years, 5.

There is no way that any other hornline in DCI can touch PR this year except the cleanliness of the Cavies. Cadets .2 over PR? Yea right.

I think the judges also need to appreciate how truely musical PR's show is. Two pieces that are the cornerstones of American music Raphsody and American in Paris. And crap like Kill Bill and Dance Derby are being placed ahead of it?

I'm sick and tired of these musically insufficient shows being scored highed than true quality. What do you guys think?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if I said Gershwin was crap and that there was no way they could ever beat that magnificent Cadets hornline or Cavaliers splendidly balanced brass?

(note: I don't think that)

I think you have a great opinion! I don't agree with it but it hardly makes BD or Cadets "Crap" Not a wise thing to say as it tends to make you lose credibility .

CHEERS :)

What if I said Gershwin was crap and that there was no way they could ever beat that magnificent Cadets hornline or Cavaliers splendidly balanced brass? 

(note: I don't think that)

I think you have a great opinion!  I don't agree with it but it hardly makes BD or Cadets "Crap"  Not a wise thing to say as it tends to make you lose credibility .

CHEERS :)

You are correct, Sir! :worthy: Give that man a beer on the house! :mmm:

The judge did put Phantom 3rd in Brass, ahead of the Dance Derby. I think Phantom in 3rd is a fair placement. In fact, they tied for the highest score on the on brass subcaption. Next time check the recaps before starting a rant.

Edited by Tony L.

Obviously, the judges aren't litteraly anti-regiment, but it sure seems like it.  Best show they've had in years but are still being put in the average position that they've been in for the past several years, 5.

There is no way that any other hornline in DCI can touch PR this year except the cleanliness of the Cavies.  Cadets .2 over PR? Yea right.

I think the judges also need to appreciate how truely musical PR's show is.  Two pieces that are the cornerstones of American music Raphsody and American in Paris.  And crap like Kill Bill and Dance Derby are being placed ahead of it? 

I'm sick and tired of these musically insufficient shows being scored highed than true quality.  What do you guys think?

Its not what you play that the judges look for...it's how you play it. I wish it was a little different though so you didn't have Star of Indiana placing 2nd in 1993 (That show was played very well...but the music made absolutely no sense and the crowd seemed confused by the show because they didn't know what what was going on 99% or the time)

Yea, your right, when I think great American music or any music for that matter, I think of Kill Bill.

Maybe DCI should get back to looking for what really matters, great music played well, instead of giving points for a door on the 50.

There's more to the brass score than how clean the section plays.

PR has a GREAT group of players, but I personally don't think their

brass book, from beginning to end, is as good as Cadets, Madison,

Bluecoats, or Cavies. Nor do I think their '05 book is as good as it

was in '04. I do, however, think the overall sound

of the PR brass section is consistantly among DCIs top 3.

Just my opinion.

The judge did put Phantom 3rd in Brass, ahead of the Dance Derby.  I think Phantom in 3rd is a fair placement.  In fact, they tied for the highest score on the on brass subcaption.  Next time check the recaps before starting a rant.

Check the Music total. That's what I was talking about.