Judges Anti-Phantom?

I think Phantom has received that much-needed increase in drill demand this year. Can't say whether that translates 100% to the GE visual area (haven't seen them from up high yet). Then again, writing effective drill for lyrical music and varied tempos is not as easy as it is for a metronomic, monodynamic corps.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't read all of the previous posts, so forgive me if I say something redundant. I don't believe for a second that judges are anti Phantom. I think Phantom came out about right in San Antonio. That being said, I think they have much potential to do much better. There were some music ensemble issues in the last quarter of the show that aren't normally there...probably due to learning new material. But at this stage most everyone has learned some new material and you have to be ready to perform. I think this cost them an even higher placement in brass, possibly a higher score in percussion, and most definitely I think it cost them in music ensemble and general effect. Through most of the performance i think they were better, at least at that particular show, than Madison and could have been close to the Blue Devils, but I just don't think they finished it. However if they can become consistent and continue to clean, they should have a great finish.

What he said?

Rocketman - drill me this

ampssuck

I'm not sure I agree....a creative drill designer will write good drill, regardless of tempo or dynamic issues. I'm not sure that dynamic issues even play that much of a role in designing drill (I think it plays SOME role, just not a lot). Most drum corps can give you a FF chord no matter where they are on the field.

However, since it seems, a number of corps have gone to 2 bars of music and a 32 count drum break, those visual flashes happen very rapidly, whereas corps playing actual melodies MAY be unable to accomplish the same move due to compromising the sound. Since a melody takes longer to play, the visual move should be coordinated with it and not throw in some move that looks good just because you can.

Tha being said, I repeat, judges are, for now, rewarding the 2 bars of music and a 32 count drum break as Box 5. Don't ask me why!

Rocketman - I don't know squat, except, ampssuck

Edited by Rocketman

However, since it seems, a number of corps have gone to 2 bars of music and a 32 count drum break, those visual flashes happen very rapidly, whereas corps playing actual melodies MAY be unable to accomplish the same move due to compromising the sound. Since a melody takes longer to play, the visual move should be coordinated with it and not throw in some move that looks good just because you can.

Tha being said, I repeat, judges are, for now, rewarding the 2 bars of music and a 32 count drum break as Box 5. Don't ask me why!

Rocketman - I don't know squat, except, ampssuck

Brilliantly stated, RM. Your alumnus ring is on its way.