The Cadets

This was my second time being able to sample the show, as I saw it earlier at Drums Along the Rockies. I must say, I don't know what the #### they think they are doing on the field, and I know people will say "but their scores prove otherwise"--Scores aside, I feel they should be scoring lower right now. What I have seen on the field both times is un-called for. While they have a great brassline, everything else is kinda just bla bla bla. I have had so much respect for this corps for holding on to certain traditions they have had, but I really don't know what to think anymore. I don't know what they think they are doing on the field, but it isn't drum corps at all--flam me, I really don't care anymore...This has gone too far. It seems like everyone else is going to try to follow the "band" wagon and use this to try to earn higher placements now. I guess I will be going to Division II/III and DCA/DCM competitions. The Cadets have lost my support for good... I'm sick of this ####!

I'm in no way going to "flame" you, because I believe everyone's opinion matters, regardless of whether or not mine is different. However, I just want to pose a general question...

Why is it that some people (trust me, not just you) can't see beyond the show, which the kids have no control over, and notice all the wonderful things the kids are doing? Sure, there's a door on the field, random uniform effects, drumspeak, blah blah blah... but why do some people let these things stop them from noticing the AMAZING musicianship and ridiculous drill this corps is trying to pull off? This show is quite difficult and performed VERY well. After all, when you speak about the old days of drum corps, they were all GREAT musicians and marchers, right? The Cadets are exactly that this year... a group of excellent musicians, marchers, dancers, etc...

...with a door.

FWIW, I don't think those with the "this is insane" type of attitude are actually discouting the members and acting as if they're not good, blah blah.

What they're choosing instead to focus on is the design.

If you really liked blueberry icecream, and one day you go to your favorite ice cream shop to get some and the same guy who always makes your cone gives it to you but it doesn't taste quite right....

do you go home saying "well, the guy is still a really good guy and he did a great job of making my ice cream cone"

or do you say "man, the blueberry ice cream tasted really off today"

I did mention that I was impressed with their brassline, I was not trying to take away from that aspect. I see what they are doing on the field, and I said they had some fine musicians out there. I understand what they are doing, and I am sick of people telling me "What you don't understand is..."--I KNOW what is going on, and I get this show very well. I'm mainly speaking about the design of the show.

This was my second time being able to sample the show, as I saw it earlier at Drums Along the Rockies. I must say, I don't know what the #### they think they are doing on the field, and I know people will say "but their scores prove otherwise"--Scores aside, I feel they should be scoring lower right now. What I have seen on the field both times is un-called for. While they have a great brassline, everything else is kinda just bla bla bla. I have had so much respect for this corps for holding on to certain traditions they have had, but I really don't know what to think anymore. I don't know what they think they are doing on the field, but it isn't drum corps at all--flam me, I really don't care anymore...This has gone too far. It seems like everyone else is going to try to follow the "band" wagon and use this to try to earn higher placements now. I guess I will be going to Division II/III and DCA/DCM competitions. The Cadets have lost my support for good... I'm sick of this ####!

What didn't you like about the show? What exactly is "bla bla bla?" And why should they be scoring lower? Aren't they getting an effect? Aren't they performing incredibly? I can assure you there's a lot going on that isn't "bla" at all. And it's definately drum corps - one of the top three drum corps (currently second to be exact).

So, this show isn't about tradition. They're wearing new uniforms, they're drumspeaking, they're using amps, etc... Drum corps is going to be changing constantly, but the Cadets are still performing a demanding show at a great level. Drum corps isn't just about playing music anymore. It's about putting on an excellent show, however necessary, and the Cadets are definately doing it wonderfully this year.

(Points are not given based on the longest maintained traditions)

<snip>

What they're choosing instead to focus on is the design.

<snip>

Key phrase here: "What they're choosing" to focus on is the aspects they don't like, which based on the specifics of what I've heard them complain about is a small fraction of the total product presented by the corps they love to hate.

So be it. They have to take ownership of their bitter feelings and if that's what makes 'em happy, more power to 'em! They are entitled to their opinions.

Sorry...dcp wasn't loading.

double post.

Edited by kristam