Marine Drum & Bugle Corps Recordings

I had heard of "The Commandant's Own" D&BC since high school and had an older CD called "Chimes of Libery" that a friend gave me. I saw them once on a band tour to DC at Marine Barracks and once last year in DeKalb for DCM (One of the Best DCM championships ever, in my opinion!) So, last year at Indy I stopped by their booth to express my appreciation for the corps' appearance in DeKalb - I mean, how often does a group like that show up in your neighborhood, right?. Anyhow, the man at their booth gave me a copy of their album "Esprit"... AND I also got on their mailing list... but sadly, given my current situation, I have no intent of joining the corps. I've seen a couple of newsletters and such from them, but earlier this week, I got a small package from Quantico, VA with a NEW CD!!!

It is called On The March, and it was recorded LIVE at the Texas State Fair last fall. I remember absolutly loving their live show in DeKalb - So different from the fare offered on "Chimes" - This new recording, while not as "spit-shine clean" as the other recording really captures the intensity of a live performance - And I'm glad the corps has done so. Now, I have not really gotten in to "Esprit" yet and it is packed away right now. But if you can get your hands on "On The March" I highly recommend it! The Marines are still in "G" by all accounts of this recording, so there is an "old school" edge on the whole album; Lots of patriotic stuff, but lots of good ol' fashioned in-your-face up-tempo stuff too. Cadets alumni and fans will recognize "Fire Dance", a hot latin number featuring wailing soprano and mello soloists. They also include a wonderful and crisp rendition of a corps parade standard, "National Emblem March".

Anyhow, fans of old and new corps will love this recording. I only wish they had a DVD too! Incidentally, if anyone knows of any other USMC or other "military" corps recordings, please let me know! To the best of my knowledge, the CD is not for sale, per se... But you can maybe request one from the corps' booth at a show or get more info at:

www.drumcorps.mbw.usmc.mil

PS - Anyone know if the armde forces corps compete anymore? I seem to recall a 4-way show a couple of years back between the Air Force, Navy, Coast Guard, and Marines Drum & Bugle Corps.

Hot D***!!! I have all the Eigth & I recordings on CD. I even have some 66 and 67 stuff. The news that there's a NEW recording out is (as we used to say in the Corps) OUTSTANDING!!! I saw them last year at DCM and they lit the place up. It just shows ya that you don't have to dance, run or "emote" to get across to the audience. Great News and I'm already making a call to Marine Barracks right now. Semper Fi! :worthy:

I had heard of "The Commandant's Own" D&BC since high school and had an older CD called "Chimes of Libery" that a friend gave me. I saw them once on a band tour to DC at Marine Barracks and once last year in DeKalb for DCM (One of the Best DCM championships ever, in my opinion!) So, last year at Indy I stopped by their booth to express my appreciation for the corps' appearance in DeKalb - I mean, how often does a group like that show up in your neighborhood, right?. Anyhow, the man at their booth gave me a copy of their album "Esprit"... AND I also got on their mailing list... but sadly, given my current situation, I have no intent of joining the corps. I've seen a couple of newsletters and such from them, but earlier this week, I got a small package from Quantico, VA with a NEW CD!!!

It is called On The March, and it was recorded LIVE at the Texas State Fair last fall. I remember absolutly loving their live show in DeKalb - So different from the fare offered on "Chimes" - This new recording, while not as "spit-shine clean" as the other recording really captures the intensity of a live performance - And I'm glad the corps has done so.      Now, I have not really gotten in to "Esprit" yet and it is packed away right now. But if you can get your hands on "On The March" I highly recommend it! The Marines are still in "G" by all accounts of this recording, so there is an "old school" edge on the whole album; Lots of patriotic stuff, but lots of good ol' fashioned in-your-face up-tempo stuff too. Cadets alumni and fans will recognize "Fire Dance", a hot latin number featuring wailing soprano and mello soloists. They also include a wonderful and crisp rendition of  a corps parade standard, "National Emblem March".

Anyhow, fans of old and new corps will love this recording. I only wish they had a DVD too! Incidentally, if anyone knows of any other USMC or other "military" corps recordings, please let me know! To the best of my knowledge, the CD is not for sale, per se... But you can maybe request one from the corps' booth at a show or get more info at:

www.drumcorps.mbw.usmc.mil

PS - Anyone know if the armde forces corps compete anymore? I seem to recall a 4-way show a couple of years back between the Air Force, Navy, Coast Guard, and Marines Drum & Bugle Corps.

I went to their website and filled out the on line order form for their CD, however, when I hit the submit button an error message prevented me from sending my request. I tried turning off my personal firewall and privacy block but even that didn't work. Anyone have an idea how I can remedy this problem? Thanks.

Hot D***!!!  I have all the Eigth & I recordings on CD.  I even have some 66 and 67 stuff.  The news that there's a NEW recording out is (as we used to say in the Corps) OUTSTANDING!!!  I saw them last year at DCM and they lit the place up.  It just shows ya that you don't have to dance, run or "emote" to get across to the audience.  Great News and I'm already making a call to Marine Barracks right now.  Semper Fi!  :worthy:

There you go Kemo!!!!

USMC.gif

Hot D***!!!  I have all the Eigth & I recordings on CD.  I even have some 66 and 67 stuff.  The news that there's a NEW recording out is (as we used to say in the Corps) OUTSTANDING!!!  I saw them last year at DCM and they lit the place up.  It just shows ya that you don't have to dance, run or "emote" to get across to the audience.  Great News and I'm already making a call to Marine Barracks right now.  Semper Fi!  :worthy:

Kemo? As in Kemo who marched in Kilts Senior in 01 with me??? I'M BRENT... Remember? (aka "That God-D*** Cavalier!") on Baritone. Anyhow, nice to hear that other historic recordings exist. I wonder if I can gain access to them by contacting the Marines...

-TGB

"Marines"

It's a great CD. Got mine a couple of days ago by "Oz Post". There are even a couple of "Original" pieces on it, composed by the Warrant Officer now in charge of the corps.

Semper Fi.

Elphaba

Kemo? As in Kemo who marched in Kilts Senior in 01 with me??? I'M BRENT... Remember? (aka "That God-D*** Cavalier!") on Baritone. Anyhow, nice to hear that other historic recordings exist. I wonder if I can gain access to them by contacting the Marines...

-TGB

Yes Brent! The One and Only Kemo! The only drum corps god who can't walk on water. I remember 2001 and you buddy. You might be able to get a copy of the old 8&I if ya talk nice to me. LOL. Drop me a line at kiltiekemo@aol.com

WWBD

Just received my "On the March" today. I look forward to listening to it on the way to Indy.