HEY MADISON....NOTE TO SELF!

Note to self,

Ok, the Carmen thing seems to be working for us! At least most people seem to get the whole concept that to do the thing right we needed the girl. Eventually, Maybe, Hopefully, everyone else will figure out that Carmen was not a “bearer” of equipment (rifles, sabers, flags, etc.) but a destroyer of men’s souls. Ok, enough contemplation about our theme! There’s something very important though that seems to need addressing, something underlying that we just haven’t put our collective finger on yet, hmmmm…lets see. By all accounts were having a great season. Talents way up; we’re vastly improved in all areas. The horn line is sounding great and can peal paint! The percussion issues of the past seem to be just that, the past! (And did I mention that those boys can just flat out throw down!) And talk about swagger, our guard is back!!! Not to mention, we’ve got some of the best arrangers and technicians in the business along with a new direction in the visual area that seems to be suiting us quite well. What is it though? It seems like something’s missing! Its gnawing at us, it’s almost like an itch we just can’t seem to reach! Hmmmm….Lets review, vast improvement in all areas, we’ve given the judges what they want. Hmmmm…What about our most important aspect, performing for our fans? Let’s see, are we building and creating the emotional mass hysteria that were known and loved for from the beginning to the very end of our show? Does the end of our show (something that were VARY famous for!) weave such an emotional toil on the soul that our fans can’t bear to take it any more? Well, the opener is good, it’s controlled, it’s loud but it’s not getting them out of their seats. I think we’ve got to do something about that, it’s out of character. We then continue on with our star attraction, again, this seems to be selling. But then there’s the closer. It seems that here is where we’ve lost our identity! By this point in the season (and it is quite late) and this point in the show is where the throngs of people want to rush the field in mass hysteria!! But somehow we got the idea that it was far batter to do something other then Madison and lull them to sleep with sweet nothings. I just don’t know if the new neutered Madison approach has time to catch on with the judges! OH MY,,,,

That’s It! Eureka!!! (Epiphany moment) Let’s do what we do best. Let’s look to performing for our fans as our guide and all shall end well!

Madsop75

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But somehow we got the idea that it was far batter to do something other then Madison and lull them to sleep with sweet nothings. 

Madsop75

:blink:

I'm not sure I understand it either. I give the design team all the credit in the world

for getting Madison back into the fight for the top 6, but it sure bothers me to read

reviews of the crowd standing on their feet then sitting back down for the new ending

and giving "polite applause".

Polite applause and MADISON SCOUTS do NOT go together!

(and it doesn't seem to be working with the judges either.)

See, the thing is, many, maybe most of the fans might not want what you have in mind. Peeling paint and throwing down are great, but that doesn't mean you can't be poignant too. Cavies surely have in the past few years. And they're not the only ones. Why not Madison too?

HH

(and it doesn't seem to be working with the judges either.)

well, yeah... they are the 5th best scoring corps right now.

~>conner

See, the thing is, many, maybe most of the fans might not want what you have in mind. Peeling paint and throwing down are great, but that doesn't mean you can't be poignant too. Cavies surely have in the past few years. And they're not the only ones. Why not Madison too?

HH

Glory,

Oh contraire! For either you lack serious historical perspective, or sadly I am lost among a forgotten generation that collectively wants to scream out onto the field “just do something!” You see my friend, I would bet you all of the tea in China that in fact the majority of fans do agree with me but when one has never experienced that of which I speak everything becomes relative to his or her common experience! On the other hand I agree with your reference to the Cavies, you see I believe you can have it both ways. Sadly though, for this generation, they will probably never experience the utter ebb and flow of emotion that used to be present on the field of competition. This my friend is a true and harsh reality that is a child of our modern day system of judging!

Madsop75

Why don't you call Sal and tell him that. It's a lot more likely to get something done than posting on a message board. I know he loves hearing from former members (especially ones he marched with if Madsop75 is any indication of your corps affiliation and year).

Jim

Why don't you call Sal and tell him that. It's a lot more likely to get something done than posting on a message board. I know he loves hearing from former members (especially ones he marched with if Madsop75 is any indication of your corps affiliation and year).

Jim

Jim,

Yes, a keen observation on your part! I did march with Sal in 1975 along with 124 other brothers. And yes, Sal and I know each other quite well! But really now, you can’t be serious. Its one thing to speak with a brother but yet quite completely different for someone as professional as Sal to consider my telephoned promptings! Here’s what I believe. I trust Sal and those he has surrounded himself with. I believe Sal and the others on staff (esp. Michael C.) have a pulse on what’s happening and on what’s to occur. I quite enjoy this venue, don’t you! It gets us all talking and yes, sometimes worked up! I also know that Sal and his staff read these postings and I also know that he takes the types of things I posted seriously and that he also has a sense of humor.

Sincerely,

Madsop75

MadSop, would you be okay with Madison bringing down the house while finishing 10th?

or 14th?

Serious question.

"

Kdaddy,

Serious Question?

Why is it assumed that if Madison “brings down the house” it equates to them finishing “10th or14th”? Are you stating that if they do bring down the house it can only mean that they presumably have to sacrifice other areas of performance on the sheet? Is Madison not capable in delivering their type of show and still winning? I beg to differ! (Oh, by the way, I’m old school and believe, shhhhhh, don’t tell anyone, but winning is goooood! Competition is life!)

Sincerely,

Madsop75

MadSop, would you be okay with Madison bringing down the house while finishing 10th?

or 14th?

Serious question.

First thing that comes to my mind is: 1995!!!! :worthy::blink::worthy:

NEVER have I heard such constant and thunderous crowd response for an entire show. The hornline was OMG-INCREDIBLE!!!, the percussion definitely THREW-DOWN and the guard...AWE-SOME!!!

Oh, and btw, they finished in the top-4 (and, by some accounts, should have won the whole thing).

Just a thought ^0^ ^0^ ^0^