I don't understand...

Randy, I agree, the times SCV has done a soft ending its been good, it works for them, I just don't feel it is something that woudl work for Madison, I don't mean that it would work for no one

The issue becomes the fear of returning to something "too Madison", which as we know from years 95-99 didnt typically get rewarded. This year they seem to have the horses and the staff to pull off a very exciting show and execute the #### out of it. But as I said before, raw crowd appeal, something Scouts had in spades the past decade seems to act like kryptonite as far as scores and placings go.

I do agree that the show seems to go out on a less than bombastic note, and that the gratuitous restating of Bolero doesnt really help the show. Bolero is a simmering pot that needs to be brought to a boil, something Scouts cant do in the limited space of time they put Bolero in.

Face it what we really wat to see is the Scouts stand with legs apart, backs bowed and blow the stands down. But the staff is wise enough to know thats a dangerous place to go.

The issue becomes the fear of returning to something "too Madison", which as we know from years 95-99 didnt typically get rewarded.  This year they seem to have the horses and the staff to pull off a very exciting show and execute the #### out of it.  But as I said before, raw crowd appeal, something Scouts had in spades the past decade seems to act like kryptonite as far as scores and placings go.

I do agree that the show seems to go out on a less than bombastic note,  and that the gratuitous restating of Bolero doesnt really help the show.  Bolero is a simmering pot that needs to be brought to a boil, something Scouts cant do in the limited space of time they put Bolero in.

Face it what we really wat to see is the Scouts stand with legs apart, backs bowed and blow the stands down.  But the staff is wise enough to know thats a dangerous place to go.

Dan,

Fortunately when you and I marched together it was semi circle on the 50', park and rip face off untill that final gun! Now days its bodies flying everywhere at 95mph with bursts up to 100mph all the while the boys are effortlessly blowing at quadrillion forte!!! I prefere the new way just as long as its not me doing the running! One thing is for sure, the Madison green god's are up to the task if given the tools.

Here's for hopeing!

Sincerely,

Madsop75

The issue becomes the fear of returning to something "too Madison", which as we know from years 95-99 didnt typically get rewarded.  This year they seem to have the horses and the staff to pull off a very exciting show and execute the #### out of it.  But as I said before, raw crowd appeal, something Scouts had in spades the past decade seems to act like kryptonite as far as scores and placings go.

"Too Madison"? Raw crowd appeal being dangerous? This may be opening up a can of worms (perhaps for a different topic) but I think that Scott Stewart was trying to fight a battle against DCI on and off the field, a battle he would eventually lose. Look at how drastically the activity has changed in the 3 years he's been out: amplified pits, Drum Corps Midwest becoming a shell of its former self, this crazy new grand finale format, and many more to come.

I don't think the raw crowd appeal had anything to do with Scouts' rise or fall with the judges. I look at Cavaliers from 2001 and 2002 and remember how I hated the fact that not only did they do things better than the Scouts during those years, they were also very entertaining and produced some real great drum corps moments. Cavs had crowd appeal all over the place back then, and THEY fared well with the judges didn't they?

What's the difference between crowd appeal from Cavs and crowd appeal from Scouts? Not much difference, I think. Drum corps fans like getting their faces ripped off by a hornline, shockwaves from a drumline, and charmed and wowed by a color guard, no matter what buses they came off of. Do the judges care? Well, I don't think so, at least not these days.

So why avoid being "too Madison"? Why the soft ending? Does Sal and Mr. Cesario want to show the world that Scouts can play that game too? Maybe... who knows.

But at the end of the show I want to be able to proudly say, "Those are mah boys right there!"

But at the end of the show I want to be able to proudly say, "Those are mah boys right there!"

Well, the question is then, can you say that this year?

And Todd (madcontra99), I understand what you're saying and can agree with that.

Well, the question is then, can you say that this year?

And Todd (madcontra99), I understand what you're saying and can agree with that.

When I saw them in late June, absolutely.

When I saw them in Kalamazoo, same thing but even more.

I'm sure I will this sunday in Massillon, but I just don't want to have to whisper it over golf claps.

I doubt many people would be disappointed. I too am not a fan of down endings, but this isn't too bad. Honestly, I've seen 2 of three different endings of this show in just the past TWO shows...It was designed to end where it began, and that's not a bad thing...it's something the show was lacking...the ending just kind of hung out there. So this is a good change and it makes for some continuity. And yes, there's a Fleur-de-Lis... :D

Yeah...10 years ago the Cadets had a soft ending to their show (at least they did when I saw it in Pittsburgh a few weeks before finals) and they took it out after the judges didnt respond well (or so I've been told).

...and that was a mistake. The "down" ending of the 1995 show was far superior to what they presented Finals week.