Which corps, that you have seen so far this year, has the most stunning drill. You know, the most of those "wow" moments.

Personally, I think everyone is stepping up to par and out to impress, but I am gonna have to go with The Cadets. I really like that they have finally brought back to the table some innovative and unique visuals. I also like that they seem to move as a corps, I can't describe it but it just seems as though they are always sticking together and having a good time.

Though not a Cavalier fan whatsoever, I do have to at least respect them for the past few years. But this year, the show seems bland. It feels as though I have seen it all before.

Edited by yabetterbelieveit

Which corps, that you have seen so far this year, has the most stunning drill.  You know, the most of those "wow" moments.

Personally, I think everyone is stepping up to par and out to impress, but I am gonna have to go with The Cadets.  I really like that they have finally brought back to the table some innovative and unique visuals.  I also like that they seem to move as a corps, I can't describe it but it just seems as though they are always sticking together and having a good time. 

Though not a Cavalier fan whatsoever, I do have to at least respect them for the past few years.  But this year, the show seems bland.  It feels as though I have seen it all before.

Well, I haven't seen them lately, so I don't know how much drill they have added or tweaked since Orlando. When i saw them in O-town, my girlfriend and I agreed that Cavaliers had the most "wow" moments. I wasn't impressed by the Cadets drill formations, what impressed me was that for the first time in a long time, I saw no one out of step, and very little phasing. They were quite on fire in the M&M department, but I think I only remember one form where I was like "yikes...that's awesome."

The thing is...Cadets really march a very different sort of drill than Cavaliers do. In fact, it might be interesting to analyze the kind of drill corps march nowadays:

Cavaliers: Very geometric and linear. When they do slow ballad-like music, the forms tend to be very "swirly" and curvilinear. I've noticed that they seem to have more 4-count moves than any other corps.

Cadets: Not geometric, but rather a series of reshapes. I notice a lot of 8-count moves, with some longer 16-count moves that basically do one or two things before they arrive (you can really tell Zingali's influence on Sylvester and Sacktig).

Blue Devils: Tends to be based all around staging. Some linear moves, with a lot of block shapes in choirs. Tend to be a lot of 16 count moves, with few 4- or 8-count moves overall.

Santa Clara Vanguard: Well, this is just a mish-mash of lots of styles. I tend to think SCV's drill (1997-present) tends to be the hardest style to march because of all the demands, which is why they haven't been as clean as the other corps...it's hard to clean that type of drill, with its inherent difficulties. I would term their drill as the combination between Cadets and Cavaliers' style of drill.

Phantom Regiment: Well...they've had so many drill designers lately that it is hard to really peg a style on them. Same goes for Madison Scouts, who are on their third visual designer in 5-6 years.

Feel free to add other observations...I love talking drill.

Well, I haven't seen them lately, so I don't know how much drill they have added or tweaked since Orlando.  When i saw them in O-town, my girlfriend and I agreed that Cavaliers had the most "wow" moments.  I wasn't impressed by the Cadets drill formations, what impressed me was that for the first time in a long time, I saw no one out of step, and very little phasing.  They were quite on fire in the M&M department, but I think I only remember one form where I was like "yikes...that's awesome."

The thing is...Cadets really march a very different sort of drill than Cavaliers do.  In fact, it might be interesting to analyze the kind of drill corps march nowadays:

Cavaliers:  Very geometric and linear.  When they do slow ballad-like music, the forms tend to be very "swirly" and curvilinear.  I've noticed that they seem to have more 4-count moves than any other corps.

Cadets:  Not geometric, but rather a series of reshapes.  I notice a lot of 8-count moves, with some longer 16-count moves that basically do one or two things before they arrive (you can really tell Zingali's influence on Sylvester and Sacktig).

Blue Devils: Tends to be based all around staging.  Some linear moves, with a lot of block shapes in choirs.  Tend to be a lot of 16 count moves, with few 4- or 8-count moves overall.

Santa Clara Vanguard:  Well, this is just a mish-mash of lots of styles.  I tend to think SCV's drill (1997-present) tends to be the hardest style to march because of all the demands, which is why they haven't been as clean as the other corps...it's hard to clean that type of drill, with its inherent difficulties.  I would term their drill as the combination between Cadets and Cavaliers' style of drill.

Phantom Regiment:  Well...they've had so many drill designers lately that it is hard to really peg a style on them.  Same goes for Madison Scouts, who are on their third visual designer in 5-6 years.

Feel free to add other observations...I love talking drill.

You need to get with Stuart Rice and do some planar analysis...but then he's given up doing drum corps (due to thier close-mindedness) and is working with president of the National Dance Education Association in regards to his PA studies.

Edited by sburstall

You need to get with Stuart Rice and do some planar analysis...but then he's given up doing drum corps (due to thier close-mindedness) and is working with resident of the National Dance Education Association in regards to his PA studies.

Um, no thanks. I like to avoid all sorts of....um. Yeah, just plain no thanks.

great thoughts Nikk...drill is my favorite aspect of a show to analyze so ive spent many hours contemplating various corps styles. I completely agree with you about SCV being a combo of Cadets and Cavaliers, utilizing both curvilinear and geometric forms with a nice mix of different count moves. For me, the Blue Knights also have a very distinct visual style...including the knee pop on the "and" count before the stepoff and their abstract style of design.

So far of the top corps mentioned, i have seen SCV live and Cadets and Cavies bootlegs (which were actually pretty good). SCV's drill is nowhere near its usual greatness this year. Cavies and Cadets appear to be the cream of the DCI crop in 2005, but i think i like Cadets more. I was skeptical of the double-sided pants, but it really adds some cool effects! I really love the drill in the opener too, the way it "flows" around the door completing the full cycle...great programming IMO. Their vis scores are still dragging behind Cavies by a lot too, if they can get it cleaned up the title would appear to be theirs for the taking.

Regarding Cadets vs. Cavies...

I think it's been said before that The Cadets' straightleg technique, light pants with darker top, and general drill design (definitely Zingali-esque)...all cater toward highlighting how fast their LEGS move. When you watch The Cadets...you see legs.

Whereas The Cavies' more relaxed leg, whiplash 4-count geometric drill, and dark pants with a lighter top/hat...highlight how fast they're moving in general. When you watch The Cavies...you see ants flying all over the place.

Anyway, I haven't see anyone so far, so no comment on this year.

Regarding Cadets vs. Cavies...

I think it's been said before that The Cadets' straightleg technique, light pants with darker top, and general drill design (definitely Zingali-esque)...all cater toward highlighting how fast their LEGS move.  When you watch The Cadets...you see legs.

Whereas The Cavies' more relaxed leg, whiplash 4-count geometric drill, and dark pants with a lighter top/hat...highlight how fast they're moving in general.  When you watch The Cavies...you see ants flying all over the place.

Anyway, I haven't see anyone so far, so no comment on this year.

Your point reminds me of something that was bothering me at the San Antonio show. Only a handful of corps (only SCV, Phantom and Cadets come to mind right now) are brave enough to wear white pants. TsarNikk mentioned a propensity for Cadets to have phasing in recent years. I wonder if we would have noticed the same problem with Cavaliers over the last few years if they wore white (it's got to be really hard with their "high step" foot technique to stay in phase at high tempos).

I think black can be used as a way to hide phasing problems. It's just that much more impressive to me if a corps can wear white and still have perfect execution in the feet.

Back to the topic. I wasn't too blown away by drill this year (of course we had seats on the 25 so it was hard to tell what was going on anyways. Cadets definitely impressed me with the cleanliness of their forms though.

I agree with Nikk that SCV's drills have been the hardest to clean, and probably the most dangerous over the last two or three years.

You need to get with Stuart Rice and do some planar analysis...but then he's given up doing drum corps (due to thier close-mindedness)

Man..this post is ironic and funny on several levels.. :sshh:

Yeah, Nikk..is know where your coming from :worthy: