Is it deserved or preferencial treatment?

Got this from Cavies website:

"On Thursday evening, July 28, the corps will be rehearsing at Middle Tennessee State University in Murfreesboro in anticipation of the annual Masters of the Summer Music Games sponsored by Drum Corps International. The corps will be rehearsing under the lights in the stadium from 7 to 10 pm. There will be plenty to see, hear and understand for anyone who wants to attend the evening block of rehearsal, as the corps will run major portions of their 2005 program, "My Kind of Town.""

In my opinion, this doesn't seem fair. A corps that gets to rehearse on the same field the competition is being held on the folling night. Which means they will know how the field feels and get use to it, something the other corps will not have the chance to do. I remember from marching myself that every field feels differently so knowing how the surface responds is important to your individual performance.

I'm sure this happens allot, think even we might have had that advantatge a time or two but is it fair to have this or is it earned?

Anyone else feel this way? Just curious.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it really matters. By this point in the season, one should be used to all different types of stadiums, grasses, and what-have-you. I know with the Cascades marching technique, its much easier to march on the turf, than it is on crab grass. I assume all members know how to march, so this shouldn't be an issue. As far as stadium and sound are concerned, every corps has had enough variety of stadiums by this point. I really don't think them rehearsing in the stadium is giving them that much more advantage--only the fact that it makes them feel like they are really performing in the stadium under the lights.

Well, for one, we don't know if other corps are getting this opportunity, either. Second, if this were Foxboro I might be bothered, but it's just Murfreesboro. Even if you're obsessed with competition, nobody is going to win the title tomorrow night.

None of the other corps are practicing there. However, I don't think it is a problem or unfair, with the possible exception of Carolina Crown. All of the other corps have either members or staff that have seen the field or performed on it--there is some familiarity for them all. This is Crown's first Masters so the field is completely new to them.

We used to rent NIU's stadium for an entire day during the week before DCM Championships back in the day when I marched(89-93), and got Toledo's stadium in 1992. The place became a second home.

This happens in a lot of places with a lot of corps. Big shows generally have nice fields and facilities, and also sometimes corps put on clinics before shows (it was always nice to get a reminder of how rediculously high the grass is at Centerville, OH before the show started).

I have many memories of brutally hot rehearsal days at NIU, but these are softened by the really, really nice showers there. :) In the Glassmen, we pretty much used the Glassbowl any weekend we could.

We used to rent NIU's stadium for an entire day during the week before DCM Championships back in the day when I marched(89-93), and got Toledo's stadium in 1992.  The place became a second home.

we used to have "concentration camp" at NIU the week before DCM. we also held our spring camps there, and i know cavies still do. if it were finals week, i would think it was suspect, but at this point, it could be a clever marketing tactic for cavies and/or dci.

Ü

jan

I just remembered...I think it was in 2001 that NIU football players tried to run through Capital Regiment, injuring several members. Earlier that season, we had rehearsed at NIU, and during a dinner break some football players doing sprints ran a couple of our snare drummers off the field. They were gone by the time our dinner was over, though.

A couple of weeks later, after the Capital Regiment incident, we were back at NIU...and saw the newspaper articles.