Is it deserved or preferencial treatment?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In 88 the DCM open class corps got the field at Huskie Stadium for an hour or two to run stuff, our staff judged Bluecoats then they judged us. As far as an advantage, I think most synthetic surfaces are more or less equal, of course no two snowflakes are exactly alike, but there you go. I don't think there's a huge advantage to be gained. But the Cavies are the Big Dog, and they get to walk the talk.

Edited by tommytimp

None of the other corps are practicing there.  However, I don't think it is a problem or unfair, with the possible exception of Carolina Crown.  All of the other corps have either members or staff that have seen the field or performed on it--there is some familiarity for them all.  This is Crown's first Masters so the field is completely new to them.

Crown has stadium days. back in 2003, and still today, we took rehersal days, or long trips, cut them in half, and shome where somehow got into a stadium. Murry state before INdy, Franklin Field before the eastern classic. SO, crown gets into like 3 or 4 stadiums on our own every year for a full days rehersal.

None of the other corps are practicing there.  However, I don't think it is a problem or unfair, with the possible exception of Carolina Crown.  All of the other corps have either members or staff that have seen the field or performed on it--there is some familiarity for them all.  This is Crown's first Masters so the field is completely new to them.

There were other shows at MTSU before the Masters Games began. Crown has performed there before, so someone on staff HAS been to that stadium. Besides, some of their staff came from other corps that definitely have experience in that stadium. They are at no more a disadvantage than any other corps.

The staff having experience with the stadium might be well and good for the acoustics, but it would still would not be as good as each corps being given an opportunity to get a feel for the stadium floor.

Whether it is deserved, preferencial treatment or a perk...it comes with being one of the top eight. The question is, how was the determination made?

This actually happens more than you might think. Its really not a big deal.

As unfair as it may seem it is quite common practice especially among the top 12 corps. The corps do pay for the time that they use the stadium. I can recall the Cavaliers using the NIU stadium quite often. It's not uncommon to fly in judge(s) to practices so that they can give a read on how a corps is performing. If a corps has the finances to do this more power to them. When you have the oppourtunity to use a large stadium like this I'm all for it because it gives the staff and performers a better read on the overall show design.

I know that back in 99 Scouts did a clinic and rehearsed for some time on their field (being the finals site) in Madison on either quarters or semis. I remember them bringing those that came to the clinic down to the field to join them to learn how they march. It was pretty cool. So, I know its happened before.

As unfair as it may seem it is quite common practice especially among the top 12 corps. The corps do pay for the time that they use the stadium. I can recall the Cavaliers using the NIU stadium quite often. It's not uncommon to fly in judge(s) to practices so that they can give a read on how a corps is performing. If a corps has the finances to do this more power to them. When you have the oppourtunity to use a large stadium like this I'm all for it because it gives the staff and performers a better read on the overall show design.

Thanks for the "way it is" post. Local Show promoters, many of whom are raising money for local non-profits or their home corps, need all the revenue they can find. In other cases, particularly for ALL DAY rehearsals, I expect the corps approached the Venue operator (University, etc.) directly, and they also have a hard time turning down money.

So if a corps wants to rent the stadium - it often happens. At DARC, we try to spread it around from year to year if possible.

Madison, Phantom and Minnesota Brass have all subleased our venue in various years for rehearsal.

There are WAY more important things to worry about then this, IMHO.