1996 Colts

I got to thinking about 1996 Colts - their steadiness at 7th place all season then fall down to 11th by finals.

Even though 1996 wasn't that long ago, will something like this happen again? I'm sure it's happened plenty of times before 96, but I can't think of it happening since.

Is there too much reliance to keep up with the previous night's judging for such a fall to occur? Slotting, if you will...

I got to thinking about 1996 Colts - their steadiness at 7th place all season then fall down to 11th by finals.

Even though 1996 wasn't that long ago, will something like this happen again?  I'm sure it's happened plenty of times before 96, but I can't think of it happening since. 

Is there too much reliance to keep up with the previous night's judging for such a fall to occur?  Slotting, if you will...

If you look back at 1996, you'll notice that although the Colts came out of the Preview Show in Madison in 7th place, there was a gap of either 3 or 4 weeks between that show and Finals that year.

We came out of the gate incredibly hot that year. . . beating Crossmen and Bluecoats by up to 15 points on the East Coast Tour that year. We caught everyone by surprise.

What finally caught us? A drum line that stagnated, affecting the rest of the corps. Brass finished in 7th that year. . . marching was affected by tempo/pulse concerns, as was the guard.

Basically, that was a VERY strong corps that had a weak drumline. Other corps caught us at the end because they were more well-balanced throughout all the sections.

Could that happen now? Unlikely, because there are only 2 weeks between Indy and Finals, and corps are more evenly balanced across their sections in general.

:sshh:

True enough, Chuck. And it seems to me as an outside observer that the overall general quality of the corps in the 7th thru 15th range has improved so much over the years that a fluctuation like that over the course of two or three weeks is a lot less likely nowadays than it was ten years ago. Does that make sense?

If you look back at 1996, you'll notice that although the Colts came out of the Preview Show in Madison in 7th place, there was a gap of either 3 or 4 weeks between that show and Finals that year.

We came out of the gate incredibly hot that year. . . beating Crossmen and Bluecoats by up to 15 points on the East Coast Tour that year.  We caught everyone by surprise.

What finally caught us?  A drum line that stagnated, affecting the rest of the corps.  Brass finished in 7th that year. . . marching was affected by tempo/pulse concerns, as was the guard. 

Basically, that was a VERY strong corps that had a weak drumline.  Other corps caught us at the end because they were more well-balanced throughout all the sections.

Could that happen now?  Unlikely, because there are only 2 weeks between Indy and Finals, and corps are more evenly balanced across their sections in general.

:sshh:

And i would add that had the corps been given the proper spreads for it's strengths on friday and saturday nights it would have been in 9th as it should have been. We also shot ourselves in the foot with a bad run on thursday night at quarters and did not set ourselves up for a great 3 day run.Like we did in 95 when we moved a spot each night up in rankings.

Chuck is dead on in his take on what happened in the Colts case in 96. Oh yeah he was there with me also .

Jeff

Well, it's not as extreme...

But, Madison looked like they'd be back in the top 6 last year....remember, some conspiracy theorists acted like it was happening because of the Tour of Champions coming up...

Bluecoats and Crown ended up passing them...Boston tied them in Quarters and beat them in Semis...

Yeah, it's not just a huge drop, but they did finish 8th when they were expected (by most) to finish 6th at worst...

I even made the comment last night that this year is looking alot like '96. Remember that Colts were not the only corps to make a huge drop that year, Pioneer dropped from around 14th to 20th in a week and went from undefeated in Div II to second at Div II finals from a corps they beat by many points the week before.

Also Phantom made some big jumps in '96 too. This year does look alot like that year.

I even made the comment last night that this year is looking alot like '96.  Remember that Colts were not the only corps to make a huge drop that year, Pioneer dropped from around 14th to 20th in a week and went from undefeated in Div II to second at Div II finals from a corps they beat by many points the week before.

Also Phantom made some big jumps in '96 too.  This year does look alot like that year.

If you look at Glassmen's scores during the DCI portion of the '96 tour, you'll see some serious stagnation going on. We went from a firm 12th place in Madison to a firm 13th place after Allentown. One place, but it me an age-out Finals appearance. <**>

This year is nothing like '96. First off, there are actually good corps this year, unlike '96 when everyone was bad. Secondly, Finals aren't in Orlando, which makes every year worse.

Doh... you didn't. :sshh: :sshh: :sshh:

This year is nothing like '96. First off, there are actually good corps this year, unlike '96 when everyone was bad. Secondly, Finals aren't in Orlando, which makes every year worse.

Whoa bro, slow down, I am not talking about what the corps are performing or how they are performing or even where they are performing, I am talking about the jumps and drops. There was some big shockers yesterday, I mean when was the last time that a corps recieved a standing ovation for beating BD (and that is a compliment to BD) and in '96 there were some big shockers (the tie for one <**> ). (Plus didn't PR make a jump up to 3rd or 4th 2 weeks before finals in '96? I may be wrong on that, it was 10 years ago)

Personally and this is only my opinion, I think this is a great year for drum corps and this will go down as one of my favorite years of drum corps. That is only my opinion and I was not around drum corps in the 70's and part of the 80's so I do not know what it was like back then, I am just stating this based on the years that I have been around at shows and what not.

And personally not everyone was bad in '96, but that is your opinion and that's cool, I guess that Phantom '96 was a mistake on the DCI countdown

:rolleyes: You have to admit that your comment is really funny when a show from that year was voted by the masses to be on the DCI Classic Countdown.