Who will make the biggest move come finals?

Which corps will make a move going toward chamionship week?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which corps will make a move going toward chamionship week?

• Phantom
    • Madison
    • Bluecoats
    • Crown
    • SCV
    • BK
    • Boston
    • Other?

So since Indy, we have seen some moving and shaking. But, I want to know from eveyone whether there is still more to be done. My personal feeling is that you may may see both Madison and Phantom in the top 3 and that both may have a chance to win the title. Did BK lose its chance to catch SCV or are SCV and BK both destined to make a move ahead of Boston? Is Crown and the Bluecoats where they are going to end up? I believe not, as they can still be major players down the stretch. I am going to stick close to my guns on predictions but I'll say:

1) Phantom- Maybe the biggest darkhorse of all time.

2) Cadets- Congrats on the win at Indy, so many great corps chasing the tite this year.

3) Cavies- may end up dropping further? I doubt it!!

4) Madison- Good enough to make it into the top three, but will they?

5) BD- Might get jumped by the Bluecoats, we will see!!

6) Bluecoats- although they could move up and surprise eveyone.

7) Crown- Maybe the best 7th place crps in a long time!!!

8) SCV- finishing strong?

9) BK- keeping on the heels of Santa Clara, and could make it here.

10) Boston- Peaked to early?

11) Spirit- Seem to improve with every show.

12) Glassmen- Not much else they can do but enjoy finals!

I see big moves still in Phantom. Momentum is building & their confidence has to be skyrocketing. Also, I think Madison and maybe even Bluecoats can pass BD, while SCV may pull out a finish to the season that leaves all in awe, moving up to 7th.

Harvey

In reality, every corps can make big competitive moves going into championship week. Some shows need cleaned more than others, while some need tweaked and refined. Every kid out there is going to hunker down and give 110% these final two weeks. This is the exciting thing about drum corps.

Now, to be more specific here is what I think:

1. Canton Bluecoats - this show has so much potential it is not funny. But their drill is really holding them back at the moment. It is so demanding, and probably covers the field as well as anyone this year. If they can nail this come finals and their visual ex scores goes up as a result, so will their GE and performance captions, and I think they can take 4th at finals.

2. Madison has a show that has that entertainment factor like the Bluecoats, but they are marching a little stronger at the moment. 'Coats could beat them in both brass and percussion come finals, but Madison can also light it up. With a 3rd place in GE at Indy I would start to watch their performance captions. If GE stays where it is in the 3rd slot, and if brass and percussion go up a bit more, then they will pass BD and take 4th, maybe 3rd.

3. SCV - Santa Clara can certainly make a move. Anytime you are lower in score and place you have the chance to jump more corps. But here is the problem. Crown is a solid 7th I feel, and Boston pulled closer to Crown at Indy. Where SCV is lacking this year seems to be Guard, GE, Visual. To knock off both Boston and Crown would be difficult considering their guards and their GE programs. And to beat Boston at Foxboro? Well, I just don't see that happening. Chances are that SCV will stay put.

4. Crossmen - I still feel like the Crossmen, with their entertaining show, can do some damage come finals. I like them to jump one to two slots. They are close enough to the Colts to nip them in Foxboro, but they are several points behind Spirit. From what I hear though, Bones is still very dirty. This could mean they have a chance if they can clean, and it could mean it is too late and 13th is about as good as they can do.

Just a side note: the interesting thing about cleaning, and so many people mention it when they talk about how their favorite corps will do come finals, is that it is not easy to do. If a show is not somewhat clean at this point how are we to assume that the kids will get it in the next 10 days or so. The other thing to remember is this: even when a show cleans we must also assume that the other shows are cleaning. This means that movement could be limited.

It seems to me at this point that two corps really have a shot for the title, Cavaliers and Cadets. Phantom and BD could be darkhorses, but I wouldn't hold my breath on those picks. But yes, Phantom jumped into 3rd in 1993 when most of us thought Cadets and Star could not be challeneged. And they topped an amazing Cadets show in 1996 to tie BD. Performance problems can lead to some interesting placements at finals. In 1996 the Cadets had what I felt was the championship show going into their final selection. Then half way through Red Pony there was a musical tear, a bad one, in which low brass and percussion were way off. The visual suffered as did the musical score, and this opened the door for Phantom and BD. As it was, the Cadets still only finished .5 away from the title winners, and had they nailed their show they would have won by .3 I feel, leaving BD and Phantom in a tie for 2nd. Now this is just my opinion, but the point is that these things can happen.

With shows as difficult as the Cadets and Cavaliers have, they will have to perform very well on finals night.

Jonathan