My only problem with Indy

I thought the Indy show was great, but I ran into a problem that just really blew my mind. Here is the story:

A friend and myself was waiting patiently at the top of the stairs going into the stands while a corps was performing on the field. This just happened to be one of the entrances with an usher and the usher didn't know we were there. She turned around and saw us and (keep in mind there is a corps on the field performing) said "Please go to your seats or wait at the bottom of the stairs." Now going to the bottom of the stairs was not a problem, although that was unnecessary to me, but saying "Please go to you seats" just hit me wrong. There was a corps on the field, does no-one train this ushers that it is VERY disrespectful to the corps as well as TRUE corps fans to enter and leave the stadium while a corps is on the field. I mean you cannot blame the people for entering a leaving during a corps when the ushers are saying that. I called her out on it and she stated that her boss told her to not stop anyone, so she was doing her job. So why wasn't her boss trained on this. I mean how long does it take to say "Please do not let anyone enter or leave the stands while a corps is on the field."

And there were a lot of people entering and leaving during corps at Indy.

The only other problem we had was the people setting behind us talking throughout the performances, but after everyone around them explained that they were being rude, they stopped and were a lot more respectful. They were just kids and thought they were at a band competition, or atleast that is what they said, so they had no clue what was going on.

Anyway, I am sorry if I offended anyone, this is not meant too, it is just that this was such a big show to allow so much to happen. The people that run the show close to me also have ushers and they WILL NOT let you enter the stands until the last note is played of the corps on the field, I just think Indy could do the same.

I observed the same behavior at Indy. The usher stationed at the entrance into my seating area was very helpful but did not attempt to prevent people from entering the stands during performances. There was far too much coming and going. I was also unforunate enough to be seated in front of noisy fans. During the afternoon show the offenders were members of a corps that had already performed and who wandered into the stands to view the remaining groups. These young people were loudly supportive of their friends in other corps, to the point of distraction. Additionally, they talked loudly and continuously throughout performances. The same behavior was repeated in the evening, but by a different group of fans -- this one made up of middle-age adults who should have known better. Common courtesy is a rare commodtiy, indeed.

Edited by ChicagoFan

I observed the same behavior at Indy.  The usher stationed at the entrance into my seating area was very helpful but did not attempt to prevent people from entering the stands during performances.  There was far too much coming and going.  I was also unforunate enough to be seated in front of noisy fans.  During the afternoon show the offenders were members of a corps that had already performed and who wandered into the stands to view he remaining groups.  These young people were loudly supportive of their friends in other corps, to the point of distraction.  Additionally, they talked loudly and continuously throughout performances.  The same behavior was repeated in the evening, but by a different group of fans -- this one made up of middle-age adults who should have known better.  Common courtesy is a rare commodtiy, indeed.

:rolleyes: Has there ever been any thought given to some sort of "courtesy" or "DC etiquette" remarks before a show begins? I have been to a number of shows and at at least two of them the people were so noisy around us and completely unaware in regards to coming and going during performance that it made for a pretty unhappy night for me. When I pay $25 a seat for good seats, and the people around me are rude (even after being asked to be quiet) it gets really irritating. I'm up for some suggestions. People don't do that at the theatre, or movies, or concerts...so why drum corp performances.? Maybe because we are in a stadium and it reminds them of being at a sporting event. Thoughts? DCI Staff thoughts?

If i'm wrong correct me, but DCI does make a statement that there is no comming and going in the middle of a show. I know it's DCIs bottom line

This is correct. I know there have been some venues (the first year at the Citrus Bowl comes to mind) where the staff is prone to overreaction. There was quite a lot of complaining about that on RAMD (this was circa 1996) and, to their credit, the staff couldn't have been friendlier the following year.

A few years back, when Birney Crum stadium was under renovation, DCI East was held in Philly at Franklin Field. Prior to retreat, the event staff went down to the track, presumably to prevent people rushing the field. It's not the ushers' fault; they're used to rock concerts, football fans, etc.

Really, it's a 10 minute training issue. It's just a shame DCI doesn't seem to emphasize the unique "ground rules" with the venue management before a show.

Edited by Phillygwm