On the field with '87 SCV at DCI Semi's

*****MikeN approved this post*****

It's not often you can experience a corps section "up close and personal" during a competition, now ya can. :)

This was orginally on drumlineparkinglot.com, but since the site is inactive, here ya go. You can choose to "Open with" or "Save to disk" hence, it to your CPU.

For some cool stuff, click here.

Enjoy. :rolleyes:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I downloaded the percussion judge tape from '87 a while back....

The judge is Paul Wojtena. He was one of the "greats" regarding percussion judging in the late 70's and throughout the 80's.... Paul called it like he saw it!

Unfortunately, he had to give up judging DCI shows after a skiing accident in the mid 90's. He hurt his leg pretty bad, and wasn't able to maneuver around as well as would be required for the high velocity drills that are now the norm.

Man, I wish guys like him were still on DCI's roster!

:)

I downloaded the percussion judge tape from '87 a while back....

The judge is Paul Wojtena.  He was one of the "greats" regarding percussion judging in the late 70's and throughout the 80's.... Paul called it like he saw it!

Unfortunately, he had to give up judging DCI shows after a skiing accident in the mid 90's.  He hurt his leg pretty bad, and wasn't able to maneuver around as well as would be required for the high velocity drills that are now the norm.

Man, I wish guys like him were still on DCI's roster!

:)

Agreed, Wojtena was one of my favorites, I always enjoyed "staring him down" while performing. :P

IMO, Blair and Wojtena, along with Goodhart and Sorenson were the pinnacle of judging tandems percussion-wise.

That was hilarious. I think he wanted to give'em all a big hug. I wish we could hear judges tapes more often. Anybody else have any?

Darn, I don't have speakers here at work <**>

I'll have a listen at home tonight.

Thank you Blue Devil Legend!!! :)

Paul Wojtena was awesome! My other fave judge was Len Carey. He would always judge us fairly. I think somewhere out there is a tape of him judging GE percussion from the same show, and he's going apes**t at the end of Great Gate of Kiev. :P

Martha

ahh.. I remember this recording.. LOVE IT

It's not often you can experience a corps section "up close and personal" during a competition, now ya can.  :)

This was orginally on drumlineparkinglot.com, but since the site is inactive, here ya go. You can choose to "Open with" or "Save to disk" hence, it to your CPU.

For some cool stuff, click here.

Enjoy. :rolleyes:

Thanks for that!... Been a long day at work and that just brightened it up a little

Ben

It's not often you can experience a corps section "up close and personal" during a competition, now ya can.  :)

I have the SCV 1987 finals performance as recorded from inside one of the snare drummers' hats. Talk about up close and personal!

PhilSCV