Will there be retreat at DCI?

That means on Friday the Blue Devils and Cavaliers will play America and the Cavaliers will do an encore performance. On Saturday Phantom and the Cadets will play America and the Cadets will do an encoer performance.

This is a most telling comment with regards to slotting on another thread.

Could it be POSSIBLE, that a corps other than Cavaliers on Friday and Cadets on Saturday, win???

Used to be, the answer was 'yes'...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Could it be POSSIBLE, that a corps other than Cavaliers on Friday and Cadets on Saturday, win???

The answer is STILL yes.

He didn't say these corps would win on Friday or Saturday, just that they would

perform last...thus they play the encore.

As someone who attends finals every year, I can say that the days of the old full retreats are gone. I remember the first time I saw a show and the traditional retreat had been replaced by what they do now. I felt like a great tradition had been tossed aside. I have to agree that taking into consideration the amount of time it takes to clear the field for the champion to to their encore takes longer than it did under the old format. I wish DCI would listen to the fans and bring back full retreat.

So this was brought up in another thread and I think it is an EXCELLENT point.

What are the rookies whom have never been in a full retreat, (thanks to this "new way) gonna be able to "figure out" what they are supposed to do.

I do know that "some" directors did fight to keep retreats at all shows. But the reasoning was "safety" or getting out of the parking lot to get to a town quicker. I was at the BOD meeting in January when this was discussed.

If you want to get DCI to listen to you either write them and let them know how you feel or start another Petition to get the retreats back (not that they'll listen to that either but it's worth a try). Or at least ask them for retreats at the Regional shows. This was discussed at the BOD meeting, I "thought" that is what they were going to do ...this year.

Maybe if they start getting a bunch of emails or letters...

Well..that's just wishful thinking isn't it? :worthy:

Edited by Lancerlady

ummmm... Strutta.. you knows I loves ya.. but there is no slotting involved..

First of all, the guy said, "the last two competing corps" -- he said nothing about the "winning" corps. Second of all, the encore/finale corps were decided upon as soon as tour was finalized way back in late winter, early spring.. so they've known all summer which shows they'd be doing encores at and which ones they weren't.

ALL the corps have known this.. it's a scheduled thing now. Nothing to do with "slotting" -- it's just the way they do it now.

And the answer to your question is STILL yes.. but at this point, another of the 6 top corps would need to make some serious strides.. I've seen all of the top 6 contenders this year and in performance alone (not show design, especially), it's pretty clear that Cavaliers and Cadets are rightfully ahead of their competition. I don't even LIKE Cadets' show this year and I can see that they are performing far enough above the competition to be one of the only two corps in the "hunt" for the championship at two weeks til championships.

Just my uneducated, fan-only opinion.

Stef

They (DCI) dont't give a crap what we think.

Yep, I've realized that... :)

They (DCI) dont't give a crap what we think.

Of course they don't.. and be sure to blame your favorite Division I corps for that because THAT'S WHO DCI IS!

:huh:

I'm getting to the point where I don't give a crap what "we" think. I'm just here to watch and support.. enjoy and be entertained. If or when I stop liking what I see.. I'll find something else to entertain me... until then, I'm having a great time with the "DCI who doesn't give a crap what I think."

:worthy:

Stef

Of course they don't.. and be sure to blame your favorite Division I corps for that because THAT'S WHO DCI IS!

:worthy:

I'm getting to the point where I don't give a crap what "we" think.  I'm just here to watch and support.. enjoy and be entertained.  If or when I stop liking what I see.. I'll find something else to entertain me... until then, I'm having a great time with the "DCI who doesn't give a crap what I think."

:huh:

Stef

:huh::huh::huh: