Pittsburgh, PA

I don't need you to pull up anything. I didn't like their show in Orlando and I will stick to that. I just listened to the audio. I don't have any problem admitting something I don't like. :)  ( I thought we (you and I) moved on from Orlando)..lol. :blink:

I remember that review quite well... One of my favorites! ^0^

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, my opinion hasn't changed, I just found more corps that I don't like just as much! :P

And here is a question for you Mr. Boo...last night we listened to the APD of the Cadets show from Indianapolis. (We did see the whole show in Orlando).  And just listening to the audio with the exception of the ballad, no MUSIC was to be found. My husband agrees with me on this. Not only that..but amps were bleeding over with static into the horn line and the amps overwhelmed the horn lines on many shows. There were some weird amp noises going on in the Cadets show. Is that what you want to be listening to when you buy your CD's? Have you ever just listened to the audio of the show?

Oh and I am going to division 2/3 corps finals this year.

WOW. If you are unable to find the musical theme in the Cadets show, ballad aside, then you are not hearing what I am. But more importantly I notice that all you do, Lancerlady, is whine and gripe about pretty much everything in DCI today. Just my opinon. I know you are welcome to yours, but my opinion is that perhaps you should look at yourself before crying about DCI and the Cadets. If your needs are not being met, THEN DROP SOME OF YOUR NEEDS!! I don't think I have seen one post from you that is positive, or that at least proposes serious and practical solutions to what you feel is wrong. Why don't you find something better to do? If drum corps is not your thing or you just can't stand where it is presently, then do something else. And don't sit here and tell me how you have the right to try and fix the activity by voicing your concerns because doing it the way you do on this forum is not helping for making one iota of a difference. If it bothers you that bad then get involved, write DCI, work with a corps, help to make a change in the activity according to the world of Lancerlady.

I am just calling it the way I see it. If you don't like what I am saying, no big deal to me.

Jonathan

So, wait... you ACTUALLY enjoyed the cadets last year?

Well no wonder you hate them this year! That's like day and night... I mean NOTHING alike. I, personally, found last years show to be boring. While it was clean it just did NOTHING for me.. except grow stagnant ALL over the place.. and I've seen the show about 6 times and they played it in front of us in Cali when we did the show and tell thing.. but with all that said.. I kinda like this years show!

Yes amping can be VERY bad.. but some corps use it well because it blends and adds balance. It's like having someone who KNOWS who to play guitar.. and someone who tries to act like they do... one you're going to enjoy the other you WILL not. The idea here is that some corps use it to sound BIGGER... while others use it to add a blend and balance.. and still others do it so we can hear them whistle or chant or rap or whatever.

We don't quite know what DCI is up to.. whether there are conspiracies behind all of everything, or if they are still just judging on cleanliness and level of performance.

When I saw the Cadets at San Antonio, it was clear that they were definitely kicking major ### this year. Very high powered and energetic show as well as cleanliness of most visual aspects. I don't quite agree with the way they play, but that is because I have been shown another way and prefer that one more. The only other corps that was within 2 points of the Cadets was the Cavaliers.. now obviously with me marching Cavaliers last year I will be a bit biased. That said, I didn't find ALL of the music in this show to be something I loved, nor was it something I hated. I just didn't jam all the time or get into it.. Yes they were very clean as is typical for them and yes they play with balance and blend and thus do not get extremely loud, because the entire ensemble has to reach and maintain a plateau of sound in order for that to occur.

Heads and Tails above the Cadets? I think not. A close call for sure.. because one show relies mainly on the GE of the props, ideas, and music, while another relies mostly on the GE of the visual marching aspects and production design. Apples and Oranges.. everyone will have their own beliefs and ideas.. but you can't usurp the right from the judges to decide what they believe... so it's just gonna come down to them in the end as to who ends up in what order on the finals dvd.

One thing we know for certain, however, is that WE as the viewers don't have to watch them in that given order... so what does it matter? Some say that if The Cadets win, then DCI will be supporting Hoppy and his beliefs in woodwinds and whatnot... but being 2nd doesn't mean that can't either! Maybe it's just that they've presented a show that has for the first time in a little while... some SERIOUS mind games going on. You actually have to think about it a lot and figure out just what the #### is going on.

I have never really cared for the Cadets much, but I say kudos to them for putting out a "different" show from all the "different" stuff we've seen over the years. Kudos as well to the kids who put up with the banter of disgruntled fans, ex-fans, and so on who do not believe in the show.

Do this one thing for me... just shut up for a second.... listen to the show.... and just ask yourself.. do you enjoy it? Don't worry about who's performing it... just wonder about the quality and amusement of the production. If you don't then fine.. that is your opinion.. if you do then great.. that is your opinion.. just don't bash the Cadets as if they've murdered the President's daughter. :P

<-- Dives off the Soap box into shark-infested waters. :blink:

Careful Jonathan. Steph has worked with corps and supported DCI in many ways. She does work to make it better. I think that earns her the right to express her opinion. Even if she didn't support the corps, she still has the right to express her opinion.

Steph...just one minor correction, the Cadet narration was not in the Orlando performance, I know, I was there.

I frankly really like the Cadets this year. Many honestly do not. It is that type of show. However, few of us would disagree that the Cadets are really performing the heck out of it. Still I am looking for the Cavaliers to catch them and make it very close. I am also hoping for Phantom to surge and make it close three ways.

No, they used amps last year and I loved the show. Loved it! :blink: That is not the truth and I won't admit it! :P  I was ###### off in Orlando because of the annoying narration going on and the drumspeak, but I found another show that is even MORE annoying in their narration then the Cadets. Blue Devils.

I just don't hear the same "music" that you do that's all..I hear a lot of bleeps and bloops going on in more then just the Cadets arrangements that's all I'm saying. :)  I will say that after hearing the audio the only music I hear is in the ballad. There I will change my tune to that. I have the right to change my tune..don't I?

I don't need you to pull up anything. I didn't like their show in Orlando and I will stick to that. I just listened to the audio. I don't have any problem admitting something I don't like. :)  ( I thought we (you and I) moved on from Orlando)..lol. :blink:

We have moved on from Orlando. My point is, music comes in all forms and hopefully we can all recognize that. I just wish rather than slamming the show as you have MANY times this summer with a comment like that, just state its not your bag. We all know how you feel. It has been made abundantly clear.

Whoa, someone earns their right to b*tch? When did things start working that way?

. . .and to Blake (Cloudfuel), bravo to you! I will be honest and say that your words really go against some of the thoughts I (we) have about the animosity and petty behavior that can exist between rival corps. You are to be commended on your attitude about the activity.

Careful Jonathan.  Steph has worked with corps and supported DCI in many ways.  She does work to make it better.  I think that earns her the right to express her opinion.  Even if she didn't support the corps, she still has the right to express her opinion.

Steph...just one minor correction, the Cadet narration was not in the Orlando performance, I know, I was there.

I frankly really like the Cadets this year.  Many honestly do not.  It is that type of show.  However, few of us would disagree that the Cadets are really performing the heck out of it.  Still I am looking for the Cavaliers to catch them and make it very close.  I am also hoping for Phantom to surge and make it close three ways.

Thanks Craig for the kind words, I really mean that. I know what you consider not to be narration in the Cadets show, I guess I do which is that annoying talking after the drum speak. And the annoying drum speak.

If I had it my way Phantom would win it all this year! :)

Whoa, someone earns their right to b*tch?  When did things start working that way?

. . .and to Blake (Cloudfuel), bravo to you!  I will be honest and say that your words really go against some of the thoughts I (we) have about the animosity and petty behavior that can exist between rival corps.  You are to be commended on your attitude about the activity.

Now Tx, he said I had earned the right to my opinion which is what I expressed, if you consider it b*tching then oh well, then you have that right too..I suppose. :P

So, wait... you ACTUALLY enjoyed the cadets last year?

Well no wonder you hate them this year! That's like day and night... I mean NOTHING alike. I, personally, found last years show to be boring. While it was clean it just did NOTHING for me.. except grow stagnant ALL over the place.. and I've seen the show about 6 times and they played it in front of us in Cali when we did the show and tell thing.. but with all that said.. I kinda like this years show!

Yes amping can be VERY bad.. but some corps use it well because it blends and adds balance. It's like having someone who KNOWS who to play guitar.. and someone who tries to act like they do... one you're going to enjoy the other you WILL not. The idea here is that some corps use it to sound BIGGER... while others use it to add a blend and balance.. and still others do it so we can hear them whistle or chant or rap or whatever.

We don't quite know what DCI is up to.. whether there are conspiracies behind all of everything, or if they are still just judging on cleanliness and level of performance.

When I saw the Cadets at San Antonio, it was clear that they were definitely kicking major ### this year. Very high powered and energetic show as well as cleanliness of most visual aspects. I don't quite agree with the way they play, but that is because I have been shown another way and prefer that one more. The only other corps that was within 2 points of the Cadets was the Cavaliers.. now obviously with me marching Cavaliers last year I will be a bit biased. That said, I didn't find ALL of the music in this show to be something I loved, nor was it something I hated. I just didn't jam all the time or get into it.. Yes they were very clean as is typical for them and yes they play with balance and blend and thus do not get extremely loud, because the entire ensemble has to reach and maintain a plateau of sound in order for that to occur.

Heads and Tails above the Cadets? I think not. A close call for sure.. because one show relies mainly on the GE of the props, ideas, and music, while another relies mostly on the GE of the visual marching aspects and production design. Apples and Oranges.. everyone will have their own beliefs and ideas.. but you can't usurp the right from the judges to decide what they believe... so it's just gonna come down to them in the end as to who ends up in what order on the finals dvd.

One thing we know for certain, however, is that WE as the viewers don't have to watch them in that given order... so what does it matter? Some say that if The Cadets win, then DCI will be supporting Hoppy and his beliefs in woodwinds and whatnot... but being 2nd doesn't mean that can't either! Maybe it's just that they've presented a show that has for the first time in a little while... some SERIOUS mind games going on. You actually have to think about it a lot and figure out just what the #### is going on.

I have never really cared for the Cadets much, but I say kudos to them for putting out a "different" show from all the "different" stuff we've seen over the years. Kudos as well to the kids who put up with the banter of disgruntled fans, ex-fans, and so on who do not believe in the show.

Do this one thing for me... just shut up for a second.... listen to the show.... and just ask yourself.. do you enjoy it? Don't worry about who's performing it... just wonder about the quality and amusement of the production. If you don't then fine.. that is your opinion.. if you do then great.. that is your opinion.. just don't bash the Cadets as if they've murdered the President's daughter.  :P

<-- Dives off the Soap box into shark-infested waters.  :blink:

I did listen to the show, then night before last, from the audio of the Indianapolis show. And the amps are bleeding into the show and really messing that up and it sounds awful. I listened to and I honestly don't like it...except the ballad is nice, that's all I'll say. I listened to the audio of BD, Cadets, Cavies, Phantom, and Madison and well...it's just time for me to move on to DCA or something...

But while you say you never cared for the Cadets, I have generally always liked the Cadets show, and that's why this one is a hard pill for me to swallow. And what was wrong with their show last year? It kicked butt to me! :P

WOW.  If you are unable to find the musical theme in the Cadets show, ballad aside, then you are not hearing what I am.  But more importantly I notice that all you do, Lancerlady, is whine and gripe about pretty much everything in DCI today.  Just my opinon.  I know you are welcome to yours, but my opinion is that perhaps you should look at yourself before crying about DCI and the Cadets.  If your needs are not being met, THEN DROP SOME OF YOUR NEEDS!!  I don't think I have seen one post from you that is positive, or that at least proposes serious and practical solutions to what you feel is wrong.  Why don't you find something better to do?  If drum corps is not your thing or you just can't stand where it is presently, then do something else.  And don't sit here and tell me how you have the right to try and fix the activity by voicing your concerns because doing it the way you do on this forum is not helping for making one iota of a difference.  If it bothers you that bad then get involved, write DCI, work with a corps, help to make a change in the activity according to the world of Lancerlady.

I am just calling it the way I see it.  If you don't like what I am saying, no big deal to me.

Jonathan

Just like you don't like what I'm saying, I really don't care at this point what you think. How about that. And BTW all these things you suggest, I have been doing thanks for checking...I donate, time, money and other resources to this activity, but that is fixin to change. I write letters and present Petitions to the BOD and everything else..but it didn't work. So yes it's time to move on especially from ungreatful people who don't respect where the history originated from.

I am not hearing anything musical from the Cadets and neither is my husband, just because I don't, doesn't make me any less of a musician or not knowing what I like. You don't know what I do behind the scenes either Jonathan, so before you start preaching to me why don't you figure it out...get off my back. I have the right to voice my opinion just as much as the next guy. And QUIT telling me what to do I have just as much passion as you do and that is why it disturbs me the way things are heading. And if you will go back and read, you will see, I am doing something about my discontent. So get off your high horse and go attack someone else.

Oh you don't know a #### thing about me and what all I do to contribute to this activity so go preach to someone else. If you haven't seen one post from that is positive? I know that line is full of it, because I do post positive posts...when I see something positive happening.

Geez I'm tired of you people telling people when they should leave or whatever your problem is...get off my back. :P

Edited by Lancerlady