Pittsburgh, PA

<snip>

I am not hearing anything musical from the Cadets and neither is my husband, just because I don't, doesn't makeĀ  me any less of a musician or not knowing what I like.

<more snippage>

Wow! That's all I'll say.... Except, I've seen you say that you listened to the audio from Indy. There were no APD's of Indy and the only Cadets audio is on the 3:23 DCI Cam clip. On that clip there is no amp feedback, distortion, or static. I'm just wondering where you actually heard this noise you've referred to.

<snip>

If you haven't seen one post from that is positive? I know that line is full of it, because I do post positive posts...when I see something positive happening. <snip>

No comment. Discretion is the better part of valor, right? :P

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what Michael..read your signature underneath...what does it say? "Mean People Suck"

Now, I have had some positive things to say about other corps, that is what I'm talking about, now if you all want to harp on me because I have the balls to put it out there on how I really feel..go right ahead. I can hang with you. But don't assume...you know what they say about "###-u-me". :P Just because I don't like The Cadets or Blue Devils makes me evil...but if that's what y'all what to bring on go right ahead. I don't care..If you're that bored and you want to keep up this cat and mouse game with me..go ahead...

I'm done though because it's wasting a lot of NEGATIVE energy that IS NOT being put out be me.

There are other forms of negative energy....besides someone not liking a drum corps show.

the noise I heard, I don't know if it was Indy or not wherever the heck it came from, it was there...it was all over the place. I am a professional and so is my husband and we know how to detect these minor hindrances. It was static bleeding in on the audio, it was at some show...someone sent me, it could've been Indy could've been something else, but the fact remains, it sucked it wasn't professional and messed a good part of the show up. And here weird speaking wasn't set right either. It might have been San Antonio I dont' know....but whatever...it was there. If you didn't hear it fine, but I DID.

-Whistling of Kill Bill theme

-Pit interlude

-Brass entrance

-Build-up

-Climax of Kill Bill section

-Tempo increase

-Frantic melody from brass

-Mello call, trumpet response

-Loudness till end

-Pounding opening of Liquid by low brass

-Melody introduced by mellos

-Smooth line in low brass

-Continuation of melody, into staccato 7/4 section (all this in the midst of flurry of notes from pit)

-Ascending trumpet fanfare

-Buildup section with triplet figures in mellos and trumpets

-Majestic chord of opener, leading right into more triplet passages, trading off between each section and accompanied by pounding drumline beat

-Slow decrescendo by all sections as action decreases

-Cymbal crash into quarter-note melody traded off between low and high brass

-Melody builds into a sudden explosion of sound, with ascending fanfare line in mellos

-Loud section continues with brash statements by trumpets and mellos

-Section continues and crescendos until final chord, then lets go

-Peaceful section introduced by eighth-note line in the pit

-More placid melodies from low brass

-Beautiful, sonorous baritone solo by none other than Michael Terry

-Intensity increases in all sections, leads to loud, staccato hits in high brass

-Liquid melody returns in full glory by trumpets

-Loud chordal sections

-Chromatic passage up to final climax

-All Liquid motifs come together in a loud "rush" to the end of the opener

-Opener ends with three staccato eighth notes in the brass, then mimicked by the drumline

-Ballad begins with mysterious drum beat and unison note in the low brass

-First ascending melody in mellos begins, accompanied with chordal harmony in low brass

-Peaceful section of ballad continues, with continuation of mello melody

-Trumpets enter, with constantly building chords as the entire corps crescendos

-Louder and louder, until final chord is held

-Backs down again, mellos return for another haunting melody as snares begin their frantic section

-Snares and all sections of the corps build up to a huge climax

-Loud, haunting melody is played by entire corps, with support from an ever-moving snare passage

-Melody closes with a final chord, then dies down

-Trumpet solo with final statement of ballad

-Mello solo leads right into Machine percussion feature

-Industrial-like noises are heard from percussive elements

-Drumline begins throwing it down in a series of mind-boggling passages, moving from one section to another

-Brass enters softly, slowly builds up

-Machine-like, jazzy melody by trumpets

-Percussion festivities continue, including a tenor feature that never seems to end

-Frantically builds until end of section

-Closer is introduced by mysterious passage from the brass, with layered chords and a running line in the mellos

-Percussion begin the closer, Mirrors

-Low brass have first, dancing melody

-Shrill, pounding melody by trumpets that is never resolved

-Response by mellos

-Percussion interlude, then chromatic passage down back to the dance-like section of the piece

-Melody started by low brass is now copied by mellos, constantly getting higher

-Trumpets enter abruptly and build into powerful chord

-Kill Bill melody resurfaces in majestic yet haunting fashion

-Chord is held and ends, giving way for the percussion to continue the dance-like section

-Drive to the end of the show

-Medea-like elements are traded off between all sections

-Passage of mello runs introduces culmination of show that incorporates all motifs into a frantic melody

-Melody finally bulids until brash statement by trumpets

-Trumpets give way to complete silence

-Entire corps begins final statement, beginning with a loud, elongated chord

-Continues to flurry of Medea passages, constantly moving and always getting louder, into terse, staccato hits from the entire corps

-Loud, majestic chordal ending begins, building up into Twilight Zone theme

-The final chord is held into three staccato hits that end the show

Nope, no music there. :blink:

Edited by Hrothgar15

Wow. Hrothgar! What an awesomely constructed synopsis! Thank you for your kind comment about my boy! ^OO^

Like it or hate it! I won't debate personal preference - we all have them and one is as valid as the next. But to not find anything musical in this show is simply beyond my comprehension. Again - I make no judgment on liking it or not liking it - it simply doesn't affect my life one way or the other! No problem, mon! :P

I was with you until...

and you were doing so well, too! :P

Ehhhh... you're a nut! :P j/k

I have never really cared for the Cadets much, but I say kudos to them for putting out a "different" show from all the "different" stuff we've seen over the years. Kudos as well to the kids who put up with the banter of disgruntled fans, ex-fans, and so on who do not believe in the show.

Great post, and I have to say that the paragraph I quoted sums up my own thoughts beautifully. I too prefer the Cavaliers way to the Cadets way (it's how I was taught, also) but I've got loads of respect for what the Cadets are doing this year. I'm still hoping the Green Machine can catch them in the end, but I don't think I'd be at all disappointed if the Cadets' show wins. :)

You know what Michael..read your signature underneath...what does it say? "Mean People Suck"

<snip>

Just because I don't like The Cadets or Blue Devils makes me evil...but if that's what y'all what to bring on go right ahead.

<snip>

As I just said in a respose to Hrothgar - I make abosolutely no judgment on you liking or not liking a particular corps. My only question in that regard was how one could not hear anything musical from the show in question (Cadets). There's plenty of music I don't care care for - but I stop short of declaring that it's not music or musical. However, whether you like it or hate it does not affect my life, so I make no judgment as to your preference.

the noise I heard, I don't know if it was Indy or not wherever the heck it came from, it was there...it was all over the place. I am a professional and so is my husband and we know how to detect these minor hindrances. It was static bleeding in on the audio, it was at some show...someone sent me, it could've been Indy could've been something else, but the fact remains, it sucked it wasn't professional and messed a good part of the show up. And here weird speaking wasn't set right either. It might have been San Antonio I dont' know....but whatever...it was there. If you didn't hear it fine, but I DID.

Steph, I too, am a professional. I don't wish to get into a pi##ing contest over professional credentials, but suffice it to say I made a very comfortable living at it for over 18 years. Now, all I was inquiring about was the assertion that it was an Indy recording that you heard (from one of your earlier posts). I challenged that for two reasons: 1.) I was unaware of any electronic sound issues with Cadets at Indy and, 2.) I knew that there were no Indy APD's. Having said that - you and I both know that there have, in fact been "malfunctions" of the wireless mics or the mix with Cadets at other shows this year. I wasn't disputing that you "heard something." I just couldn't reconcile it with Indy.

Bottom line - I didn't intend to try to discredit or demean you with my challenges. I simply was unable to comprehend the "nothing musical" comment and I wanted to clarify the "Indy recording" issue. :blink: :sos:

And finally - again, I thrilled for you that you've discovered drum corps as you like it in DCA and Div. II/III. That's fantastic! ^OO^

the noise I heard, I don't know if it was Indy or not wherever the heck it came from, it was there...

I was at Indy, and I don't recall hearing any static that night - from any corps. Now I'm not doubting your professionalism, and I'm sure you heard what you heard. But if there was a problem, my Indy experience tells me that it's been fixed. In that case, it's not unlike a hornline playing out of tune at an early show, only to fix their intonation issues the rest of the season. This happens to every corps, every season, but we don't hold those earlier performance issues against them forever. Certainly we don't say "I don't like the Cavaliers show because they played out of tune in June". We realize that they've improved, and generally we as fans judge them on where the show ends up, not where it came from.

I can understand if performance issues cloud your enjoyment of a show, regardless of the design. I can be much the same way, which is a big reason why my favorites show are typically the highest scoring. However, if that's the approach you're going to take, then when those performance issues get fixed you have to be willing to recognize and admit that.