My personal opinion on DCA 2006

As a new "fan" and hopeful marcher next year, I would say yes, my husband and I could and would make it to finals in Winston!

I am looking forward to seeing my first DCA show on August 14 in Providence! Woo hoo! :blink:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My personal opinion is that I wish Allentown would've made a bid.  J Birney Crum is a great stadium for drum corps, ample parking and warm-up areas.  Concessions could be a little better, but plenty of room for souvenir stands.  My only gripe is that there could be a better location for I&E than the downtown area.  I wouldn't go to a Southern Finals, too tough a trip in one weekend for this wimp.  However, once my band director days are over, anything within about 24 hours driving would be game for me.

parking in Allentown has apprarently become a lot more difficult....and as that's Allentown Fair weekend, good luck w/hotels.

parking in Allentown has apprarently become a lot more difficult....and as that's Allentown Fair weekend, good luck w/hotels.

I know you know that has always been Fair weekend and that has never mattered. I don't understand why they are so stiff about parking in the park all of a sudden. My Dad called me today from DCI East and said the grass in that park looks like it did in 77, ####.

Eric Watters

Atlanta, GA.

apparently the city has decided to crack down. Not sure why, but they have.

I know you know that has always been Fair weekend and that has never mattered. 

Eric Watters

Atlanta, GA.

from what i recall actually it was getting harder to get a hotel from what i heard in '99. i was there but my head was elsewhere with other issues.

if it was harder then it would be much harder now as there are so many more corps competing now.

Must be the typical PA attitude of making it difficult to bringing in tourism and business to benefit its citizens at all cost. So much for "You Have A Friend In Pennsylvania". :) Just another reason to move something else out of that State. Only state I can think of to have somebody as connected as Tom Ridge as their Governor (at one point) and have that person make absolutely no economic impact whatsoever. Just another reason I am in Atlanta:)

Eric Watters

Atlanta, GA.

Don't know how true this is, but while I was in line for the restroom at Allentown, someone said that they didn't want cars parking on the grass in the park because they were afraid of gasoline and oil runoff affecting the creek.

You were allowed to park on the grass, but way way way at the other end of the park by the pool, baseball field and tennis courts. It was quite a walk to the stadium.

Must be the typical PA attitude of making it difficult to bringing in tourism and business to benefit its citizens at all cost.  So much for "You Have A Friend In Pennsylvania". :)  Just another reason to move something else out of that State.  Only state I can think of to have somebody as connected as Tom Ridge as their Governor (at one point) and have that person make absolutely no economic impact whatsoever.  Just another reason I am in Atlanta:)

Eric Watters

Atlanta, GA.

if you want to get technical it was a city park we placed our cars on year after year and destroyed the grass.

it is a park used all year round by the citizens of allentown who were tired of fotting the bill to keep having that end of the park replanted.

great stadium after they rebuilt it, but parking has always sucked, and Labor Day weekend, you lose all access to lots at the fairgrounds, which, in it's defense, brings in a helluva lot more money to the town than DCA and DCI combined does.

I agree that DCA should seek to expand it's fan base.

However, with about half the nation's population located in a 500 mile swath of the northeast corridor, I would think DCA would seek more of a sure thing attendance-wise in a city outside the northeast than is presently the case. (Just my humble opinion.)

OK. Have it back in Syracuse then.

(This message brought to you by the Anywhere But Scrantonâ„¢ Foundation)

tell your director to vote on where you think is best. if in the majority, you win