My personal opinion on DCA 2006

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i guess what i find scary is that you guys are willing to put the fate of all the DCA corps into the hands of people who are unfaithful fans. fans who are willing to say awww the heck with it - it's raining.

i've been at Kingston when it was absolutely pouring and the place still sold out because people wanted to see drum corps.

lets say 2006 goes to WS, it rains DCA weekend and those local fans stay home. they obviously didn't buy tickets in advance for NC - they waited til the last minute to see about the weather, probably to see if something better came along. so now what?

does DCA have enough money to see that all the corps get paid?

do they have enough money to go into the following year?

we already know that fans up this way are fans through thick and thin when it comes to getting wet to see a corps. Allentown '99 is a good example.

i'm not saying DCA should never move (despite how some of you insist on interpretting it). i don't know if it would be safer for all the people involved if it would be better to have a good idea that the amount of people needed to make the event a success would show.

i.e. do one more year w/ WS as a regular show before heading out to make it Finals destination.

i guess what i find scary is that you guys are willing to put the fate of all the DCA corps into the hands of people who are unfaithful fans.  fans who are willing to say awww the heck with it - it's raining. 

i've been at Kingston when it was absolutely pouring and the place still sold out because people wanted to see drum corps. 

lets say 2006 goes to WS, it rains DCA weekend and those local fans stay home.  they obviously didn't buy tickets in advance for NC - they waited til the last minute to see about the weather, probably to see if something better came along.  so now what?

we already know that fans up this way are fans through thick and thin when it comes to getting wet to see a corps.  Allentown '99 is a good example.

i'm not saying DCA should never move (despite how some of you insist on interpretting it).  i don't know if it would be safer for all the people involved if it would be better to have a good idea that the amount of people needed to make the event a success would show.

i.e. do one more year w/ WS as a regular show before heading out to make it Finals destination.

Unfaithful Fans? How about Unfaithful Show Sponsors that have traditional shows and sell out or cancel the DCA show for a DCI show, or Better Yet an Alumni Show that will draw no where the money a 30+ year old, built in audience will, year after year.

Unfaithful Fans? How about Unfaithful Show Sponsors that have traditional shows and sell out or cancel the DCA show for a DCI show, or Better Yet an Alumni Show that will draw no where the money a 30+ year old, built in audience will, year after year.

i've already mentioned that this season many times with regard to the Barnum Festival DCA show. but i don't see what that has to do with in regard to Finals for 2006. :beer:

Please remember when quoting me, relating this story to others, flaming me for my post , or whatever; "<FILTER CIRUMVENTION REMOVED - GJ>" was not MY choice of words. My metaphors were much more colorful! ^0^

i guess what i find scary is that you guys are willing to put the fate of all the DCA corps into the hands of people who are unfaithful fans.  fans who are willing to say awww the heck with it - it's raining. 

lets say 2006 goes to WS, it rains DCA weekend and those local fans stay home.  they obviously didn't buy tickets in advance for NC - they waited til the last minute to see about the weather, probably to see if something better came along.  so now what?

we already know that fans up this way are fans through thick and thin when it comes to getting wet to see a corps.  Allentown '99 is a good example.

i'm not saying DCA should never move (despite how some of you insist on interpretting it).  i don't know if it would be safer for all the people involved if it would be better to have a good idea that the amount of people needed to make the event a success would show.

Here is my issue with your take on things.....

I have been a DCA finalist for three years, and not once have I seen a full house on finals night. More over.. semis has been a weak turn out the couple of years because of what you ask? RAIN!! Yep, that wasnt snow coming down out there, it was rain.

It is my opinion that a lot of the crowd that I have seen on finals night in Scranton is not these "faithfull" fans that come down from the Pocono woods to visit DCA Finals once a year. The crowd is boosted by those corps members that did not make finals night, as well as, corps that already participated early in the evening that have come back in to support your more "faithfull" performers dare I say.

As far as money goes....... I saw a #### of alot more corporate involvement in Winston Salem, than I have ever in Scranton. I dont believe a National Brand Company has ever delivered lunch to any corps rehersal in Scranton. Those guys from Chic-Fill-a "FAITHFULLY" stood in a down pour to serve us lunch, right before we "faithfully" rehersed in said downpour.

As far as a venue goes..... it took less than a year to get a nationally acclaimed university, with a top notch FOOTBALL facility to open their arms to DCA. Why hasnt this happened in Scranton............ EEEEEERRRRRRRRRR..... LAND OF THE FAITHFULL?

I'll tell you why..... .cause some people outside of those FAITHFULL you speak of.... DECIDED TO BE PART OF THE SOLUTION AND NOT PART OF THE PROBLEM. They were pro-active and put together the best solution to issues that your FAITHFULL folks have been griping about.

It comes down to one thing.... change is hard for some FAITHFULL people.

I'll leave you with one thought.... "You gotta breaks some eggs to make some omletes".

OUT

Edited by gmencontra

Point of personal clarification: I am willing to put the fate of DCA in general into the hands of a willing and capable W-S convention bureau who have proven to me that they want our activity and business in their city, the DCA administration to negotiate and direct all of the facets of putting on our championship weekend togethre as they have done quite competently in the past, and the FAITHFUL fans like you, the Reams, the Renegade and MBI entourages, our families and friends who are willing to travel to the ends of the earth, stand in knee deep water and sit in the hot sun for hours just to enjoy what we the performers have to offer.

Can't do a thing about the weather whether it is in W-S, Scranton, or my back yard, as we have seen in other DCA championship years, so why bring it up?

As for the local fan base - well, if you build it and promote it, they will come. Tho I still have never seen actual stats that show a significant percentage of nondrumcorps local fans to our faithful followers.

Personal note II: I respect the opinions of both sides, and those who are willing to express them. These are my own thoughts, and....yadayadayada.