2006 DCA Championships

The naming of the location of DCA 2006 being announced in a few days tells me the rumors I heard in W/S are not true. I heard from several sources that if the show didn't draw at least 4500 people, all bets were off and DCA would be left with only Syracuse's bid and would therefore consider a bid from an organizing group in Rochester, NY to host the Championships.

I know there are a lot of PO'd folks that still remember the fiasco at Frontier Field in 96. The main problem with that was the organizers laid out the field so as to make use of every seat in the house, which made all the seats bad for viewing especially the seats on the 50 which were the farthest from the field.

I totally agree that 96 was a disaster, but in years past many DCA championships were held in Rochester and everyone loved coming to Aquinas/Hollindar stadium and they loved being in Rochester.

So now forget about 96's "Fiasco at Frontier" and consider an alternative that is better than any previous championships ever.

The Rochester Raging Rhino's USL Soccer Team is in the final stages of building a brand new "soccer specific" 17,000 seat Paetec Park, which will be completed by the end of this year and will be ready in April of 2006 to host events such as Drum and Bugle Corps Competitions. This state of the art Stadium is perfect for Drum Corps events and will have 8500 seats in the West side with 2 tiers and a roof overhead, a press box and 20 luxury boxes. The seats are individual movie theater type seats (without the padding I assume), and the seating is at a steep angle for up close viewing. I have included a link with lots of pictures that give you a pretty good idea of what the stadium looks like now, and a conception of completion. Notice how close the stadium is to the heart of downtown and the High Falls district where there is more fine dining and night life than anyone could ever want.

Paetec Park

I remember all the good times when DCA Championships came to Rochester and I know if DCA came here in 2006, Rochester would become the permanent home of DCA championships once again, provided the organizers have their act together.

Let's look at Rochester as a possible solution to the situation we are in right now. Even though 96 was a disaster, I am told there were 10,000 seats sold for finals that year. That is a number that would assure DCA's success and certainly W/S would never draw near that amount.

Football type field with state of the are turf, great consessions good seating, great city in the heart of the activity, wonderful location for I&E's, major airport, lots to see and do while in town. Assured of large crowds which means more money in the corps' pockets.

What's not to like about Rochester? :)

Edited by bariforhire

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering I just moved from Rochester in November, I could list a gazillion things that are wrong with there, but none of them would be drum corps related. :)

High Falls is not the great place you might think it is. I worked at a bar in High Falls before I moved here (Keys Piano Bar), and we struggled with numbers every night. Jillian's closed last year, and the bars in that area come and go faster than I change underwear.

Which is a shame, because it does have great potential.

BWAHAHAHA

sign a contract for a field that isn't finished yet? AGAIN???

now THAT is funny ~ sad but funny.

I think Rochester should wait until the stadium is built and make sure it is up to standards for holding DCA championships. The chances of another fiasco, however, are much less as Capital Regiment has proven with their annual home show at Columbus Crew Stadium.

Rochester in 2007, maybe?

One word: PARKING. thos in rochester know what i'm talking about. There really is not a good place around that new stadium to safely park your cars. Yes the stadium would be great but not so sure that it would be the best option. What is the best option? Not too sure of that either. Maybe Cortland's gorgeous stadium. Not sure if there is enough seating though. Hmmm.

I think Rochester should wait until the stadium is built and make sure it is up to standards for holding DCA championships.  The chances of another fiasco, however, are much less as Capital Regiment has proven with their annual home show at Columbus Crew Stadium.

I think Rochester should wait until the stadium is built and make sure it is up to standards for holding DCA championships.  The chances of another fiasco, however, are much less as Capital Regiment has proven with their annual home show at Columbus Crew Stadium.

Having marched there as my home show for the past two years, Crew Stadium is a great venue - parking isn't a problem - there's tons of different food... hey I know I wouldn't mind it at all. :)

My $.02 for W-S

Given the fact that there were only 7 corps there last weekend and given the fact that the rain drove people away and given the fact that it was a brand new venue for a DCA show, I think it went well.

Remember the rest of the DCA corps (Cabs, Sky, Brigs, Empire...) all travel with a lot of people and attract a lot of fans. Don't forget the mini corps and Alumni groups. I don't think selling a lot of tickets to finals in W-S will be a problem. The people will come.

I enjoyed the statium and the people. I loved the corps and the show. Many people I spoke to or overheard speaking said how impressed they were with the quality of performances and performers. Many of the locals had never seen senior corps. Frankly, many people assume senior corps are "old farts" who practice when the beer runs out. I believe the performances on Saturday did a lot to dispell that type of thinking.

W-S need to be given a fighting chance. I hardly think that DCA will lose their incredible fan base by simply moving championships out of the Northeast.

I've personally performed in Allentown, Scranton and Rochester. Loved Allentown, Rochester was a total mess and Scranton is a BASEBALL STADIUM!!!

Thanks for listening.