!Chicks With Chops!

I noticed at the West Chester show The Cadets have girls on snare and bass. Mandarins have two female snares. I'm sure there are several other women in drumlines out there as well. When I taught at the Surf we almost always had women in the drumline.

My question is two fold:

How many other girls are in DCI drumlines this year? Of course there are plenty of women in all other sections, but it is always cool to see a "chick with chops" (we used to say) out there throwing it down in the drumline. (Of course you can't tell they are girls until they troop the stands!) Is this a growing trend?

Part two is, Could an all girl corps survive and succeed in DCI today? I know the Bandettes are making a come back in 2006 and are a great all-female group, but what about an all-girl corps of substantial size competing for the top ranks? Lets talk about an all-girl corps winning DIV II or even going DIV 1. What about the prospect of breaking into the top 12 at finals with all girls?

I would love to see what others think about this (If i win powerball we'll get started). My gut says if a Bill Cook type could get this up and running, girls from all over the word would travel thousands of miles to be part of if.

Side note: What would a good name be for them? I vote for "Chicks with Chops".

Back in the '50's and '60's, a few all-girl corps (such as Audubon, NJ Bon Bons) competed quite successfully in the upper tier of top national competitors.

DCI maintained a separate All-Girl Division and Championship from 1975 up through 1982.

In 1975, 10 units competed in the All-Girl DCI Prelims. In 1982, there were 7 All-Girl units at DCI Prelims. In 1983, the first year that All-Girl units were combined with Class A (the forerunner of Div. II), two All-Girl units made Class A Finals - placing 1st (Les Chatelaines) and 6th (St. Ignatius ).

the ventures used to DCI membership and were all female.

Unfortunately, To compete in the top twelve, I think we still live in sexist society and the sponsorship they need likely wouldn't be there. I think all female corps are destined to be div 3 until societys attitudes change.

the ventures used to DCI membership and were all female.

Unfortunately,  To compete in the top twelve,  I think we still live in sexist society and the sponsorship they need likely wouldn't be there.  I think all female corps are destined to be div 3 until societys attitudes change.

What? There are no women out there to sponsor an all woman corps? Guess its easier to blame society for precieved inequities.

Forget sponsorship as our "Bill Cook" type will take care of that. Are there enough talented girls willing to travel from all over to feild a corps of 135 members. Could they field 8 snares, 4 tenors, 5 basses and 10 contras (sections usually male domintated in corps).

Would they rely on skirts for the unis to set them apart or would they use a standard military uni? Would the show/corps celebrate womanhood or just throw down with the rest of DCI?

Lets face it, we have Madison and Cavs for the guys. I think the girls deserve something that special. Touring away from men and creating something great. AND, I personally think it would give the opportunity for more women to play in sections that are male dominated.

Side note: Sponsorships can be found for anything good. Make it good and corporations will be all over it. How about it Oprah?