Do ya know it has to be your last year marching?

I'm goofing off and avoiding the 108 degree (plus) temps outside in Redding CA by writing a note to you all...

I would love to hear from others that are preparing to wrap up their marching at DCA finals this year. I love being a part of the Renegades yet my 3-4 hr drive to rehearsal and need to get planted in my new part of the state causes me to make this decision for myself. I am planning on dropping the shoes off at retreat. I already have mixed emotions and thoughts about this but priorities being such as they are, I will be leaving with great memories. I also wanted to finish the trilogy of shows that we begun 2 years ago.

I learned years (many, many years) ago in Blue Devils that you had better be giving it your best so that whatever the outcome, you can be pleased with your season. I have a third place finish and a championship ring and both years hold such precious memories.

I will miss being a part of such a passionate group; we have grown in many ways even just the last two years I have been priviledged to be called a Renegade. I am proud of being comfortable trying out our own ideas - truly performing a character within a guard was a new thing for me. I have to admit that it has been more FUN to perform with a DCA corps than the old school tick system that I was under while in BD.

What about the rest of you that need to move into other pursuits during your next summer? I would appreciate hearing your thoughts and I hope mine have touched someone out there.

To all of the Renegades, I am preparing to say goodbye but not without giving you my best. You are a magical group and I am proud to grow with you!

Diane

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright Diane, don't go and make us all cry all over our screen now.

As you know 2005 will also be my last year marching for a while. But I won't be able to stay away from the Renegades organization. My soon to be husband will still be marching and our little man will more than likely be taking lessons here shortly.

I hate the thought of not coming back and being with my ReneGuard family at rehearsals or just hanging out with my friends. Oh yeah and all that hard work out in the beating sun.

Drum corps will always be in me. One day.... long time from now, I will be back. B)

well since all the guard girls are packing it in here...hehe

I decided at auditions that this would be my last season. Things have changed drastically for me: I turned 40 last October, met a great guy and am marching this season without my close "Jersey van" friends.

I can sympathize with the 4 hour drive and the mega-time and expense that goes with that (It's 4 hours to Syracuse from Northern NJ).

I love the Brigadiers, I love the people, I love the show, I love the staff, I love everything about it (my non-drum corps boyfriend even enjoys it). It's just time :(

Alright Diane, don't go and make us all cry all over our screen now.

As you know 2005 will also be my last year marching for a while. But I won't be able to stay away from the Renegades organization. My soon to be husband will still be marching and our little man will more than likely be taking lessons here shortly.

I hate the thought of not coming back and being with my ReneGuard family at rehearsals or just hanging out with my friends. Oh yeah and all that hard work out in the beating sun.

Drum corps will always be in me. One day.... long time from now, I will be back.  B)

i knew it was my last year in mid season. it just didnt have the drive inside me.....i knew i'd come back to teach, but the drive to march was gone.

i don't regret it....when you know it's that time, if you try and force one more, often times you hurt your corps because mentally you arent all there.

This will be my last season...for a while. I'm leaving for Boot Camp after the season ends so I wont be marching again. I might come back when my enlistment is up. Who knows. I do know this is the greatest activity ever and I'm so lucky to have become involved in it. I will miss my Brigadiers family and I will always remember the things they've taught me. I'm gonna give it my all and this season has been turning out to be an awesome one. I'm not going out without a fight.

Go Brigs

For me it's also the last season. I asked my girlfriend (now wife and mother of my overall loved little girl) for permission to march one single season in 1997. From this I marchen 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03 and 05

In 2001 I had the honor to be the very first German who marched DCA ever. Now I'm back in 2005 marching with the Brigs. Marching there it is double hard and double pleasure. I'm not with the Corps every weekend, so I have to catch up what the corps has achieved the weekends I was not there. I really bust my ### of, not just to perform the very best. It's also my duty to all the other germans and europeans who will ask for a spot somewhere in DCA in the future. Yes there are gut player and marcher out of the US.

It's sad to know that I will enter the field for the very last time. OK - maybe after a break of 2 or 3 years I may shout again for a season. But beside time and time and time it's also a factor of money. The complete season will be about 3.000 EURs with is around 3.700 US$. Witch I can't afford every year. It's sad that after this summer I will be physically away from my new family, but in my mind I'm there always.

Go Brigs.

my last show was DCA prelims in 2003.

At the time I didn't know it was my last show......well my feet and other things worsened to where I couldn't take even walking much...so I had to tell them I was done. I can't even do honor guard......I couldn't even get a job as a Wal-Mart greeter...but that's a different story.

So....looking at the video....I thought.....somehow I have to redeem myself...I can't believe I went out with THAT show.........(2001 would have been a much better show to go out with)

of course, I can't redeem myself so I have to live with that show as my last forever.....it's really sad

Edited by FrankBeMe

2004 DCA finals was my last show for a while.

I knew it going into the show that it would be my last one.

I'm in school full-time and working part-time right now, and while theorectically I could've marched Bucs this summer, I knew that I would be a dead woman. Something would have to give, and I didn't think it was right for me to continue marching. I would not have been able to give them my full attention that they deserved.

When I'm done with school, maybe I'll come back. That's all in the future.

It's been very tough for me not marching this summer. I miss Bucs so much. I keep telling myself that I'm doing the right thing for my future.

I will miss being a part of such a passionate group; we have grown in many ways even just the last two years I have been priviledged to be called a Renegade.  I am proud of being comfortable trying out our own ideas - truly performing a character within a guard was a new thing for me.  I have to admit that it has been more FUN to perform with a DCA corps than the old school tick system that I was under while in BD. 

You guys came out of nowhere and rocked this circuit to it's core. you guys are awesome! :worthy: