Do ya know it has to be your last year marching?

my last show was DCA prelims in 2003.

At the time I didn't know it was my last show......well my feet and other things worsened to where I couldn't take even walking much...so I had to tell them I was done.  I can't even do honor guard......I couldn't even get a job as a Wal-Mart greeter...but that's a different story.

So....looking at the video....I thought.....somehow I have to redeem myself...I can't believe I went out with THAT show.........(2001 would have been a much better show to go out with)

of course, I can't redeem myself so I have to live with that show as my last forever.....it's really sad

Hey Frankie, I felt the same thing about our 2001 show was great. I was bummed that we didn't score better or place higher but overall a great show and I retired from marching Kilts AT prelims. Or so I thought. Now I'm back marching senior corps with my son in LakeShoremen and here we go again. AAAAAGH.

seeya around!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had exactly the same feelings in 1972(!) and have since filled my summers with trips to Europe, Australia and Russia while having a career singing/performing. I have to say DC was a GREAT experience that helped me in my music carreer but I wouldnt have missed the travel and experiences of the past 30(!) years.

You can always have a non DC life and remain loyal to your corps/DC by being a rabid fan;-) I plan on going to ALOT more shows,,,though I now live in Florida.

I knew this would be my last year when I realized that most guards we're competing with have an average age of about 20. (Renegades is running late 30's. For real.)

Ok...I was just kidding about that being the reason....but seriously.

I've been in the Renegades for four years. My first year was the first year we went to DCA. The realization of a dream for this corps. This corps started with no instruments, no members, no rehearsal facility, only 2 of the 7 had even heard of senior corps. We had no other Sr. corps around, no sr. corps shows west of the Mississippi. We had no reason to exist, yet a few short years later, there we were, 3,000 miles away from home at DCA. From there, it was just a snowball rolling down a hill, growing rapidly, increasing faster and faster.

Prior to joining Renegades I had taught colorguard for about 10 years, I must have taught about 25 different groups in that time. My husband at the time was teaching Vanguard Cadets about as many high school groups, while we were both performing in SJSU's marching band. I was waist-high in marching band/drum corps for alot of years. During and especially after the divorce, I litterally, overnight dropped off the MB/DC planet. I didn't even go to shows <poof> No more Lisa Johnson. Then I started dating Roy. He knew of my MB/DC past. But I didn't speak of it passionately, go to shows or even have any of my videos or DVDs (lost custody of them in the divorce). So imagine his suprise when one day in 2002 I came home and said I was joining the Renegades. (well, technically, I had already "joined" the Renegades...but I made it sound like I was including him in the decision. ^0^ )

But I I knew when I joined the Renegades I wasn't going to do it half way. I dove right in from Day One. And I had his support from Day One.

In four short years, both I and my relationship with Roy experienced more turbulance (both good and bad) than many people experience in a life time. First, the changes in me by just being in the Renegades, working so hard, making new friends, travelling, learning to work (and play nicely) with others. OUr relationship took a few hits, from me, from him, but why bother keeping score? A couple major health scares, some devistating losses of friends, getting married, new jobs, no jobs, you name it.

Through all of it, I never had to wonder if I had friends that would have my back. In fact, I WOULD NOT have gotten through the last year if it wasn't for my Renegades family. Period.

After finals, I'll be holding Diane's, Kanika's and a few other's, hands as we're bawling our eyes out, leaving our shoes on the field.

But I won't regreat a moment of it and I won't regret leaving. I did everything I came to do (and then some.) I left no stone unturned. I told people I loved that I love them. I've been a best friend to alot of people, I've been a complete ### hole to alot of people. (ok, maybe not an ### hole... just 'passionate' :worthy: ) I've meet alot of wonderful, open, friendly people and even some fellow ### holes---I mean, people just as passionate as me---and everything in between.

Nothing I've ever done in my life has changed me so much as a human, as being in the Renegades.

I thank each and every one of them for allowing me to be a part of such a unique, fantastic, talented, visionary band of gypsies.

Rock on.

Edited by LisaLisaMoMeesa

I thought last year was going to be my Finale. But then I got "The Kiltie of the Year"award and decided wellllll maybe one more year.

I really want to go out having made Finals,one more time.

Truthfully with the advances the corps is taking,it is getting more difficult to keep up.Not being a natural musician,I already have to work my butt off to play the charts.

Right now I'm being told I'm doing fine.But, I don't want to hang around till someone drops the ball on me and says "Time to get off the field,Seymour"

I don't want to be a liability to the corps.

I am going to leave my shoes on the field this year. I know I said it last year but this is it for me. I joined Brigs after a serious car accident in December 2000 never thinking I would be able to walk properly again. I was told no matter what they would have a spot for me at Brigs. Well I went to my first rehearsal taking a train to Philly then riding with Mello Jen leaving my crutches at my house to kind of hide how bad the injury to my foot actually was. Just hearing Brigs play that day and seeing the talent and well old friends in the line I knew I had to march again. Thanks to the Staff, Members, Friends, and yes the drill writer Rick Morey I have been able to stay on the field for the last 5 seasons. I am tired and sore and as much as I love the Brigs and knowing I would never march anywhere else. I decided going into this year that it was really going to be my last. I have already made commitments to my son for next year. I am going to be one of 4 coaches for his baseball travel team next summer; well they will start in December with tryouts. So I have no way of backing out and marching at least for next year. I want to thank every one at Brigs for everything they have done for me and well the rest of the Baltimore crew. Their hospitality, Love, and strength are the only things that kept me going every summer driving hour after hour. I will miss that very much!! There are 4 more weeks to go and I will cherish every minuet of it. For those of you that don't know this is what being the B is all about !! Thank you Brigs !!

Edited by stanstill2001

We had a great weekend full of intensity at Mars, the rehearsal "field" for Blue Devils. What is so interesting is the full circle that has come to pass...I marched in Blue Devils and now Renegades. I'm back to rehearsals at Mars...and let me tell you that the name is well earned.

I didn't have the chance to read everyone's posts to my message until now and I am so humbled by the passion that oozes from each word by people that have given so much to a beloved activity and group of people. I had many people come up to me at rehearsal commenting on the fact that this is my last year; thank you to all for such tender words and support!

It truly takes strength to do this activity well; I am surrounded by so many people in so many corps that all share the same heart even if our styles and locations vary. Competition is important but I know that no matter how this season ends, we can all walk away with pride and satisfaction if we have poured out all we can into these last few weeks.

Thank you to instructors Julie, Shirley, Kathy, Ron for investing in me. You have believed in me when I have doubted myself. This kind of support impacts my life in ways beyond words. We all need a reminder once and awhile; we all have a precious gift to share with others. Thank you for both sharing your gifts and encouraging others to take the risk of sharing ourselves.

More can be said to individuals...and trust me...the goodbyes and gratitudes will be spoken. So much is left unsaid in this life. I hope to let all those around know that I am becoming more because of the individual impact of each person. No one is without an influence. Therein lies my challenge; may I continue to choose to offer a positive influence that builds up instead of tears down.

I hope to meet people from other corps this year...please come up and say hi to Diane in the Reneguard! I want to squeak out each moment possible while the opportunity is before me.

My final marching year was 1989 with Sunrisers, my time with Sun was from 1985-1989. My career took me out to Califormia the Fall of 1989 after DCA finals. I joined the Blue Devils Booster Organizations so I can keep myself involved in DC as best as I could (I have been a BD fan since 1973). I moved on to England for six months then returned to the VA area. I still had the desire to be a part of the activity. I worked at several DCI World Championships until 1992. That was when I decided to join DCW as a Staff Writer from 1993 to present.

I have expanded my involvement to include activities with DCA working closely with Tom Peashey (DCA PR Director). :worthy:

So in as many ways that I can, I stay involved in DC. I am very interested in this activity and I strongly believe it helps keep me from growing old before my time.

I hope I can stay involved as best I can. One day I may need to finally relegate myself to only as a fan. But I hope that day is far off in the distant future.

I mention this history lesson on myself to let you know that even when the performance activity is done, your support of the activity should remain strong.

B)

"Do ya know it has to be your last year marching?"

I have read here about some of you "deciding" to "leave your shoes" at the DCA's & DCI's

My "story" has to be a little different....

My last show was in no way my "dicision" to leave the world of DC. (the short story)

My last show,June of 1985 was in Bridgeport,Conn., at 4am, my van and the "oldest" tree in Bridgeport (so I'm told),had a "meeting" and I did not, COULD not, complete my desire to finish my DC career or to "leave my shoes" on any field.

I do believe if not for that morning in June, I would still be marching with the Sunrisers...

I have just returned, in Dec.04, by way of this and other forums, to this 'Drum Corps" thing we ALL love so dearly.

Having been away, "rebuilding" and "recovering",with my health keeping me from marching again, I now enjoy reading and posting on this and other Drum Corps forums...

Of course this is a short bit of my "last" show in this activity and not a history of my great fortune of opportunities I have had in my 23 years of competive Drum Corps.

I have recently "found" my Sunrisers shoes,(saved from a flood)(and my hat & gloves) and they will stay with me as long as God has given me the feet to wear them and the strenth to live on.....

My thanks to ALL that I have known and marched with.....YOU ARE REMEMBERED!

Tony B)