Do ya know it has to be your last year marching?

I said goodbye in 1998 after 5 years with the Sunrisers -- never to return again. I suited up in 2002 for the mini corps and was convinced that was it, AGAIN.

I never thought I'd be back yet again in 2003 to don my now beloved kickpleats, but here I am 3 years later. The One Year Plan has turned into the 'Let's play it by ear and march til we get pregnant' Plan. And I couldn't be happier.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now I'm being told I'm doing fine.But, I don't want to hang around till someone drops the ball on me and says "Time to get off the field,Seymour"

I don't want to be a liability to the corps.

I feel the same way and this is my rookie year!! It's just that the guard is very young and you don't want to stand out because at 34 you can't do what they do. And i don't want to be told i can't do this anymore. the instructors told me i had nothing to worry about. i keep almost quiting but my love for this activity keeps me coming back. i am sure i will be back next year and will try my best. never give up, right?

don't leave us Seymour! we love you! :beer:

I knew going into the 2002/2003 season that it would be my last. The Navy was not going to let me stay in Japan any longer, and it was time for me to go back to sea duty. It was a good time to go. In '02 we came to DCA and surprise the heck out of everyone. Our competitive results in Japan were not what I would have liked (losing DCJ finals by 0.1 even though we won brass, drums, and guard . . . but I digress) but it was still a good time.

At the All Japan show I ticked a couple of times, and I am still not over that. It was my last show, and I wanted it to be perfect. However, I did make a good showing in doing the tap of the field. Loudest bass drum notes in history.

I could have marched again in 2004. A whole opened up in the Cabs bass line, and I received a PM from a member asking me if I could march. Wish I could have accepted, but work kept me from doing so. Would have been cool as that was a really good bass line.

I suppose someday the desire to march will go away. I don't see that happening soon. It hurts to not be out on the field. Maybe in the next couple of years I'll have the chance.

I have alot of experience in letting go. After the 2000season I thought I was done for a while when I left for basic training. Then I returned in 2002. After the 2002 season I was out again for the 2003 season due to deployment. I managed to come back again for the 2004 and 2005 season, however, I know I wot be marching 2006 because of deployment. The worse part is I can't let go, any chance I have I march. It was the hardest while deployed and listening to MP3s of years past, hearing the crowd and knowing the corps was on the field while I at sweating in some sand/rock box. My only advise is cherish every moment you can, even when all you hear is doctor beat or the famous drum corps words "One more time."

I guess I didn't know it was going to be my 'last year' until I walked off the practice field on that wet Sunday in Allentown in 87.

Having ridden a major emotional rollercoaster in 1986, I was even more fanatically committed to drum corps in 1987. We had what we thought to be an even better program that year, but just couldn't put the pieces together. But it finally clicked that morning, and we all believed we could pull off our own miracle at finals. Unfortunately, as we finished the final runthrough, we got the news that there wouldn't be finals that year. at their insistence, Rick Morey and Steve Cooley had us play one last time 'for us' - the emotion was just too much for every person there.

Emotionally and physically I was spent, and it was then that we decided it was time to leave and pursue other of life's goals. So it was done just like that, 'cold turkey', if you will, and we didnt' seriously think about drum corps for 15 years.

But having spent that time away, there was always that nagging 'unfinished' feeling about the separation. That is why after having succeeded with the other goals that replaced drum corps (starting a family, building a career, etc), I began to remember the good times, rethink my decision and started to lay the groundwork to march again.

Make no mistake: now I am the 'old guy' and can't believe I am doing what I am doing at my age. but I also can't believe I was able to turn my back and stay away for so long. For those who will be leaving this year - you will likely never 'really' leave. You'll just be taking a break.