Parity Among the "Top" DCI Corps

I just read a post on the Blue Devil's Forum that mentioned that the corps looks "young" this year. The same comment has appeared several times about SCV, as well this summer. With the resurgence of Madison, the continuing improvement of Phantom Regiment and the meteoric rise of the Bluecoats the last few years, are we seeing a change in where the kids are going to march in a "top" corps? Does the greater parity this year mean that now a brass player, for example, who in the past would have high tailed it out to Concord, this year went to Madison or Canton? If so, one could expect to see even greater parity next year. Would be good for the activity. What do others think?

I think that these trends would have to continue over MANY MANY years in order to consider there being more parity in DCI. I'd like to see more parity, but for the perennial top 3 to become the perennial top 6 or 8, you'd have to see those other organizations strenghten to the extent that Cavs, BD, and Cadets have strengthened over a period of many many years.

Now, DCI could be like the NFL and institute a salary cap on instructors, now that would create some parity! :P

I think it is happening, yes.

of course some of the people are going to end up marching at the best, but I do believe this year is either an off year for most of the top corps, or a rise to some of the Good corps, but noever really the best.

~>conner

Now, DCI could be like the NFL and institute a salary cap on instructors, now that would create some parity!  :P

A salary cap on instructors?!?!?!?!?

ROTF!!!!!

I LOST money most years I taught corps...lol!

It's no coincidence that the Bluecoats started holding texas camps and ever scince they keep getting better and better year after year. Holding the camps in Texas allows prospective members who could or would not fly to Canton have a chance to make the Coats. Other wise, those texas kids may have drove to Cali.

Too many kids are being jerked around by corps in the audition process. They turn off many because of it. They need to decide if the applicant is good enough, tell them, and move on to the next applicant. It doesn't take four months to evaluate talent. if they make it four months, then they should go on tour and taught all summer. I am not comfortable naming corps, but it is not just one. There are at least three that I know of that flat out lie to kids about their status on the roster. And it's about the kids....BS!!!! Parity might come from corps treating kids lik ehumans, and not pieces of meat used to win.

Edited by lowbrasswhole

The corps looks young?!

At my age doctors look young, cops look young, airline pilots look young...And he added quickly...My wife looks young!

:blink:

I wanted to add my two cents in this as well.

I think an even bigger motivator to march other corps is COST

Cadets are over 2000 this summer...compare this to the bluecoats tour fee (one of the cheapest around) and no contest where i would go

think about someone in central'western pa- same distance for both corps- where would you choose??

cadets may get members to audition just for their name, but through a poor college student like myself in the mix, and canton is looking pretty nice right now

you can march blue pretty much for the cost of marching jersey surf! decision made

There does seem to be more spread of talent. Although some corps may not have a reputation for winning championships, as they show that they can turn out a good product year after year better players are likely to come their way. But, it's always been like that and the top 6 still don't move much unless someone has an off year (see SCV).

A cap shouldn't apply to instructors. There should be a cap that applies to total expenditures.

Here's an idea...

Use the 13th place corps budget to set a total expenditure cap for the next season. I'd like to see Cavies or BD compete with the same budget as Crossmen. HA! good luck!

Edited by Eggbert

Too many kids are being jerked around by corps in the audition process.  They turn off many because of it.  They need to decide if the applicant is good enough, tell them, and move on to the next applicant.  It doesn't take four months to evaluate talent.  if they make it four months, then they should go on tour and taught all summer.  I am not comfortable naming corps, but it is not just one.  There are at least three that I know of that flat out lie to kids about their status on the roster.  And it's about the kids....BS!!!!  Parity might come from corps treating kids lik ehumans, and not pieces of meat used to win.

This may be for another thread, but I COMPLETELY AGREE.

Is there still a march 1st rule in effect for members? That is (or was) the rule which states that if you attend a rehearsal of corps X, then you have commited to corps X for the season. If you wanted to switch to corps Y, you'd need permission and a written release statement from corps X in order to do so.

If members are restricted by March 1st, how about corps? In pro sports, teams have to have their final rosters set by a certain date a few weeks before the season. NFL teams are in training camp right now and they all have more players with them than will actually make the rosters for the regular season. They'll make cuts and then one final cut right before the deadline. DCI has no deadline, so some corps do end up stringing kids along through May and even JUNE sometimes before saying, "Sorry, we don't seem to have a spot for you this year. Seeya in November".

If a performer has to commit to a corps by March 1st, then a corps needs to commit as well. Corps could still have waiting lists, with those kids being called if a spot opens up, but those on waiting lists shouldn't be promised a spot and shouldn't come to rehearsals.