Parity Among the "Top" DCI Corps

For more parity to become the reality, you need more consistancy from corps outside of the current 'elite'. The top corps have less staff turnover, and when someone does leave, they replace them with someone who is at the top of the activity.

In the early-mid 80's you could go to Suncoast and march in a hornline that was as good as any. But they didn't last. In the late 80's early 90's the brass instruction at Star was second to none. But they are gone too.

Right now, I'd highly recommend a serious brass student march Crown or Bluecoats. The sound they are producing speaks wonders for the instructional staff. If they can continue at this level of excellence they will become among the elite.

Someone earlier mentioned the cost. This could be a real factor as fees continue to rise. Surf stayed at my high school a few days ago and the instructional staff was excellent. If you could march under instructors like this for a fraction of the cost of some of the 'elite' corps, I could see more and more kids chosing an option like this. Speaks well for the future of Div. II.

Hasn't the gap in scoring between the first and second tiers narrowed in recent years? I have this idea that there is something exciting about belonging to an up and coming entity, and this may serve to shake things up a little. Some fresh blood at the top would be, well, refreshing.

It's simple really, people want to march in the corps that they see as "elite." Honestly now, do you go to a top 6 corps and take on that challenge and get all the glory, or do you stick with a div 3 corps that may go inactive at any time where you have baked potatos for lunch?

It sounds nice to be all idealistic about it, but come on - people only get a set amount of time in the activity. I might add that corps staff are not paid nearly what many seem to think, many get next to nothing.

Hopkins has said in person at a donor's meeting, and I'm pretty sure in his blog, that the Cadets and Crossmen go out for almost exactly the same amount of money each year.

The concern is more "what comes in" to pay for "what goes out." Here the Cadets out produce the Crossmen by leaps and bounds. (In other words, the Crossmen lose money each year which is why they have to depend on a large subsidy from YEA! to operate.

I wanted to add my two cents in this as well.

I think an even bigger motivator to march other corps is COST

Cadets are over 2000 this summer...compare this to the bluecoats tour fee (one of the cheapest around) and no contest where i would go

think about someone in central'western pa- same distance for both corps- where would you choose??

cadets may get members to audition just for their name, but through a poor college student like myself in the mix, and canton is looking pretty nice right now

you can march blue pretty much for the cost of marching jersey surf! decision made

Yeah, it might be cheaper, but the Bluecoats aren't winning quite like the Cadets. I'm a college student as well, so I understand the importance of low corps fees. But, when it comes down to it, a person might win a ring or a caption award with the Cadets...that's probably not going to happen with the Bluecoats.

Disclaimer: I'm not bashing the Bluecoats by any means...I really like the Bluecoats.

It sounds nice to be all idealistic about it, but come on - people only get a set amount of time in the activity.  I might add that corps staff are not paid nearly what many seem to think, many get next to nothing.

Most corps staff don't get paid that much, you're right. But there are corps that pay their designers and instructors EXTREMELY well.

Back when Scott Stewart was still director of Madison, Most of the staff there didn't get paid much either. Madison operated on a much smaller budget than their peers in the top 12 (and that's including operating Capitol Sound and eventually Southwind), and members' dues were pretty low compared to everyone else too. The staff was compensated as much as could be allowed, which wasn't that much. They were pretty much there teaching the corps because they loved the corps, most of them marched Madison themselves, and were giving back to the corps by teaching it.

Then after 1999 Madison received a crushing blow to its staff. Van Matthews left Madison's brass staff to fill the void at Blue Devils left by Gino Cipriani. I don't know how much more Van was offered to go to BD and I don't know all of the reasons involved in him leaving Scouts, but I have to imagine that it was significantly more than he got from Scouts.

Yeah, it might be cheaper, but the Bluecoats aren't winning quite like the Cadets.  I'm a college student as well, so I understand the importance of low corps fees.  But, when it comes down to it, a person might win a ring or a caption award with the Cadets...that's probably not going to happen with the Bluecoats.

Disclaimer:  I'm not bashing the Bluecoats by any means...I really like the Bluecoats.

You want a ring? Go get it. But you don't march drum corps to get a ring or caption award or anything. Only 135 people out of thousands get to do that each year. The reason you march drum corps is (paraphrasing Glassmen) to have an experience of a lifetime. It is to learn about music, the arts, physical activity, endurance, independence, teamwork, brotherhood, work ethic, orgnanization, the list goes on. Oh, and it is to wow crowds of thousands of people with 134 of the best friends you'll ever have!! Getting a ring doesn't have anything to do with that.

You want a ring?  Go get it.  But you don't march drum corps to get a ring or caption award or anything.

No, drum corps isn't only about getting a ring or caption award, I agree. But it's nice when after a long, difficult season, all your hard work pays off with a little cherry on the cake.

Edited by QBDrum