I'm calling it right now...

I was just thinking about this today and how this show takes a more balanced approach to show design, from which we have not seen from the Regiment since the 90s, but also in several top shows as of late.

It seems that break-neck speed drill and choppy horn books are no longer cutting it alone...i.e. people commenting on "yah....Cavaliers are great at what they do, but they seem like robots and we have seen this several times before." Meanwhile, Regiment has stayed true to their game and are getting much much better at it!

I too was skeptical of the Rhapsody theme, from an adrenaline stand point and just pure G.E., but it just makes "good sense" which speaks more volumes. This staff is shaping a new direction and my hat goes off to them!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just thinking about this today and how this show takes a more balanced approach to show design, from which we have not seen from the Regiment since the 90s, but also in several top shows as of late.

It seems that break-neck speed drill and choppy horn books are no longer cutting it alone...i.e. people commenting on "yah....Cavaliers are great at what they do, but they seem like robots and we have seen this several times before." Meanwhile, Regiment has stayed true to their game and are getting much much better at it!

I too was skeptical of the Rhapsody theme, from an adrenaline stand point and just pure G.E., but it just makes "good sense" which speaks more volumes. This staff is shaping a new direction and my hat goes off to them!

To me. Drill is like the drum book of a show. It can be like Star's 93 drum book and fit perfectly and musically into the show...or, it can be like the Vanguard last year....great percussionists no doubt, but often times, the book was full of notes...just for the sake of having notes.

Cavaliers suffer, imo, from the latter. Very rarely does their drill really "fit" the music...and often times it seems like having wild and amazing drill moves....just for the sake of having wild and crazy drill moves. It starts getting old very quickly.

I still would not count Phantom out of the title chase. I saw them just recently in Massillon, and I saw the Cadets and Cavaliers in Pittsburgh. All three corps are just amazing. Certainly Cavies and Cadets have great shows and their execution of those show is just amazing, but I think Phantom has the most complete show this year. It has a chance.

Also, just a reminder of where scores were back in 1996 when Phantom won the title with BD.

DCI East Championships

Blue Devils..............91.6 - all captions

Phantom..................88.7

Madison..................87.4

Crossmen.................81.8

Magic of Orlando.........78.5

Carolina Crown...........78.3

Quarter Finals in Orlando, FL

Blue Devils..............98.3 - G.E., Music Ens., Vis. Ens., Brass Perf., Perc. Perf., Vis. Perf.

Cadets of Bergen County..97.2 - Color Guard

Cavaliers................95.5

Phantom Regiment.........94.6

Madison Scouts...........94.5

Santa Clara Vanguard.....93.6

Crossmen.................89.4

Semi Finals, Orlando, FL

Blue Devils..............96.9 - G.E., Music Ens., Vis. Ens. (tie)

Cadets of Bergen County..96.6 - Perc. Perf., Vis. Ens. (tie),Color Guard

Phantom Regiment.........95.5 - Brass Perf.

Cavaliers................95.0 - Vis. Perf.

Santa Clara Vanguard.....94.0

Madison Scouts...........93.1

Crossmen.................89.0

And we all know what happened finals night. The Quarter Finals score just blows my mind. I think Phantom had a combination of a bad show and also a bad read from the judges. The next night you could tell the judges across the board felt very differently about their show, and they would win high brass the next two nights...and a title.

Phantom will NOT be down by almost 4 points to the leader on Thursday. You can count on that. So I say it's a 3-way shootout. And what I like about it is each corps is giving us something a bit different, and that's really cool.

Jonathan

To me.  Drill is like the drum book of a show.  It can be like Star's 93 drum book and fit perfectly and musically into the show...or, it can be like the Vanguard last year....great percussionists no doubt, but often times, the book was full of notes...just for the sake of having notes.

Cavaliers suffer, imo, from the latter.  Very rarely does their drill really "fit" the music...and often times it seems like having wild and amazing drill moves....just for the sake of having wild and crazy drill moves.  It starts getting old very quickly.

notes for the sake of notesis more SCV 03 than 04 IMO

If Regiment does not get within 1.9 of Cadets tonight, then they will likely stay in the 3-5 range and not move up. 

Will 1.925 do? :D

I have never been a Phantom fan.....untill last night. Phantom rocked and was entertaining.....very entertaining. I can't believe I'm saying this...but I broke out the road atlas to see about driving to Rhode Island to see PHANTOM! It is only a four hour drive, and I gather some of you out west would kill to be that close to finals.

Cadets are impressive performance wise, but Phantom has a real show. Heck, I might even buy the DVDs for the first time in my life. The Jonnyboy of two days ago would laugh at this, but I hope Phantom wins finals outright.

Is it just me or have all the corps stepped it up a notch? Heck, all at Allentown Sat night were good. If I had more time I would write a review.

BOOTS!

I have never been a Phantom fan.....

oh goodness!

~>conner

I'll be quite honest.. I am a devout Cavaliers fan.. obviously marching there last year has something to do with that.. but in all honesty... the Phantom Regiment has my heart this year. I truly thought this show would be a bust when they announced it back in the winter... I mean come on.. Regiment playing GERSHWIN? Yea right...

YEA.. RIGHT! They owned it.. through and through.. I still love the Cavaliers show... even like the Cadets show.. but wow.. Phantom... keep it up.. as high as you can go! :-D

Ditto to that. WOW. Gorgeous.