Allentown Guard Scores

I am glad I wasn't the only one that noticed this scoring trend by Debbie.  It was bad enough that she dumped Crown one night and that could have justified a bad night but dumping them a second night that's very questionable.  I talked to people at the show last night and they said Crown's guard had a great run so the theory of a bad night is out.

I know I was talking to someone in the guard industry and they were saying that Debbie is very opionionated and if she doesn't like what you are doing she is going to blast you.  I have heard through the grapevine she doesn't like the way Crown is protraying the show.  I haven't seen a sheet but have asked some people and they have told me that the guard judge is to judge the work being done and how it is executed which is the way I have always thought the guard judge judged but apparently not Debbie.  I thought it was more the GE judge to make a call on how you were portraying the show. 

I am not saying that Debbie is a bad judge or incompatent but she needs to judge the sheet and not her personal preference.  I have heard she is a very good judge but these numbers make you wonder.  I can tell you that Crown is not a 12th place guard.  I'm not questioning the score as much as the placement.  I don't care what the number is but the placement needs to be right and I know that SCV is not close to Crown.

Now this makes some sense to me. However, to clarify a point. The guard judge does judge how the guard is presented in the show as it has components of ensemble all over it . The sheet voted down by the BOD in January would have been a a sheet designed to judge less of how a guard is used and much more based on what they are doing and how they do it . It was a sheet that passed in caucus and failed in vote when the members at large voted against the change. Of course this being one year after voting for a percussion judge and sheet with out a sheet to review that is only used a major events.The guard change would have been more geared to skills and vocabulary as well as achievement in excellence.

Jeff

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never met the woman, and I love Crown, but...

If she can back up her ranking and rating with reaons for her scores/placements, IMO she would have done her job in a fair and honest way.

Doesn't make the rest incompetent...or her incompetent. 

Mike

I'm a teacher, and I know real "objectivity" is a joke when rating any type of subjective work. But if a student's score drops this much from one day to the next, I know it can only be one of three things: 1) the student is having major problems that affect his/her work, 2) I have been scoring the student incorrectly in the past, or 3) I scored the student wrong this one time. If I eliminate choice #1, then I have only myself to blame for inconsistent scoring. I was either completely off in my scoring for every other assignment in the past, or I'm completely off in my scoring of this one assignment.

I hate to say it, but my personal feelings about a student and/or their subject matter have influenced my grading before, and that's what almost always skews my scoring from one day to the next, no matter what scoring guide I use. It happens to the best of us, but only the bad ones don't try to fix themselves.

Edited by KingMargeret

I'm a teacher, and I know real "objectivity" is a joke when rating any type of subjective work.  But if a student's score drops this much from one day to the next,  I know it can only be one of three things:  1) the student is having major problems that affect his/her work, 2) I have been scoring the student incorrectly in the past, or 3) I scored the student wrong this one time.  If I eliminate choice #1, then I have only myself to blame for inconsistent scoring.  I was either completely off in my scoring for every other assignment in the past, or I'm completely off in my scoring of this one assignment. 

I hate to say it, but my personal feelings about a student and/or their subject matter have influenced my grading before, and that's what almost always skews my scoring from one day to the next, no matter what scoring guide I use.  It happens to the best of us, but only the bad ones don't try to fix themselves.

I taught fulltime myself for five years and part time the past 25 years...my BA and MA are in education just to give some background.

I've also judged something over 200 competitions between band and corps since 1976.

I'm not saying her evaluation is right...all I'm saying is that if she can back up what she gave them with evidence she has done an honest job. She CAN be wrong and still be honest.

To this non-guard person, her scoring of Crown was indeed way off, but that's just MHO based on a surface viewing...I loved their guard.

Mike

Debbie Torchia has been judging forever.  I don't usually agree with her placements, she tends to have Blue Devils guard win every time she judges them, she taught in Boston winter guard with Jay Murphy way back in the early 80's.

One thing you can say about her is she never considers how the units have been placing prior to judging them.

I am shocked that she put SCV's guard over Carolina and Madison though.

As soon as I saw Debbie's name after I read the guard scores I said

"Ohh Her!"