The one bad thing...

What an exciting summer this has been! My bags are packed and are sitting on the curb. Thursday cannot get here fast enough.

I hope that Regiment takes the championship but will happy just to be there to see them perform again and to see my daughter. She broke a rib early in the season but has continued to push through the pain. All of the corps' kids have worked so hard, with braces, ace bandages, icy hot, and advil. They are all truly devoted to this activity. I hope that every member of every corps feels that they had the best show of their lives come finals night.

Good luck to them all. :worthy:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Phantom were to win, we'd probably get another year of Wagner's "Ring Cycle".  Maybe that year they will get more "exciting" and recognizable pieces from it.  Come on, a 30 hours composition and they got the most esoteric 11 1/2 from that.  Oy!!!  :P

Please, Mommy, please! If you let me have it I'll never ask you for another thing the rest of my life.

Let me preface this tale with a little background information...

When I was in high school George Gershwin was one of my favorite composers. More specifically, "Rhapsody in Blue" was my favorite piece of music, period. In my junior year of high school, 1990-91, we even played a Gershwin show in marching band. I continued this love of Gershwin through the summer of '96. That summer I marched snare with Spirit of Atlanta. Our show was also "Rhapsody in Blue." While I wouldn't trade it for any experience in my life, that was an extremely difficult summer to get through. We were not very good -- heck, we were bad. The corps placed 23rd that year, breaking 70 only once all summer. I became so burnt out on that music that I haven't really listened to it since, until this summer. (I didn't even listen to or watch any drum corps for a couple of years after that.)

Thank you Phantom Regiment for bringing some of my all time favorite music back to me. After seeing you in Murfreesboro, I am on the band, er, corpswagon! While I thought on that night that Cavies and Cadets were better from an execution standpoint, your show stood out in my mind as one of the most enjoyable shows to listen to on the field this year, not to mention the visual interest and detail built in to this program.

I pride myself in not having a particular drum corps I "borg out" for, but I determine who I pull for from year to year. (With a nod toward Spirit regardless of the hardships) This year I am pulling for you. I could listen to your show over and over and never bore from it. (And have been...) Keep pushing toward next Saturday, and show that "music" is more important than "notes."

My favorite shows I've seen this year regardless of class (not based on where I think they should place, but on personal reaction):

1. Phantom Regiment

2. Cavaliers

3. Carolina Crown

4. Bluecoats

5. Cadets

6. Blue Devils

7. Madison Scouts

8. Spirit

9. Southwind

10. Spartans

11. Impulse

12. Oregon Crusaders

13. Memphis Sound

14. Crossmen

15. Boston Crusaders

Edited by Reed

PR could still do it.  In 1996 when they tied for first, they were 3 points behind on prelims.  This year they are within 2 points and not at prelims, just a little side note.

They were 4th after prelims, then went to 3rd in semis and then tied for 1 in finals.