time machine

Some big topics of discussion this summer have been:

- the fall of SCV and Xmen

- the resurrgence of Phantom

- Cadets having the most innovative thing on a football field this side of the forward pass

- amplification

If folks could discuss topics in near-real time back in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, or even before, what would they be talking about? (realizing we had RAMD in the mid-90s)

Who would be the "borg" of 1987? Who would be the "Hopkins" character of 1992? About what corps would people say "I don't where they place, it's a great show" in 1978? In other words, what was the buzz in some years past?

Check out the differences of scores between July 4th and July 5th of 1970. I think there would have been a bit of discussion concerning the "discrepancy".

July 4, 1970 - Deerfield, IL

(Local July 4 Contest)

1) 71.75 = Skokie Imperials

2) 69.60 = Santa Clara (3.0 Pen)

3) 68.10 = Racine Explorers

4) 62.10 = St Pat's

5) 53.00 = Mariners

------------------------

July 5, 1970 - Streator, IL

1) 74.10 = Santa Clara

2) 72.60 = Kilties

3) 68.10 = Des Plaines Vanguard

4) 65.95 = Nisei Ambassadors

5) 60.75 = Marion Cadets

6) 60.60 = Skokie Imperials

Heh, heh, Just WHO are those Guys from California? :sshh:

Heh, heh,  Just WHO are those Guys from California? :sshh:

Wow, that's awesome. But what really strikes me is the 3 point penalty. What on earth did they do to get a 3 point penalty?

I just got to thinking about myself being technology-deprived before college in 1996. I didn't read about Phantom's win at finals until I got Drum Corps World in the mail a week later. Ah, the internet...

Check out the differences of scores between July 4th and July 5th of 1970.  I think there would have been a bit of discussion concerning the "discrepancy".

July 4, 1970 - Deerfield, IL

(Local July 4 Contest)

1) 71.75 = Skokie Imperials

2) 69.60 = Santa Clara (3.0 Pen)

3) 68.10 = Racine Explorers

4) 62.10 = St Pat's

5) 53.00 = Mariners

------------------------

July 5, 1970 - Streator, IL

1) 74.10 = Santa Clara

2) 72.60 = Kilties

3) 68.10 = Des Plaines Vanguard

4) 65.95 = Nisei Ambassadors

5) 60.75 = Marion Cadets

6) 60.60 = Skokie Imperials

Heh, heh,  Just WHO are those Guys from California? :sshh:

Perhaps huge score discrepancies like this were due to the fact that there was no internet or 1-900-CAN-DRUM (I don't know, was there?) and judges couldn't see how corps were scoring from day to day, especially the day before. They basically went in there blindly and gave scores based solely on what they saw and heard right then and there. Granted, the tick system took away some subjectivity anyway.

Or maybe the Skokie Imperials really WERE that inconsistent! I don't know, I can only speculate since I hadn't born yet.

Wow, that's awesome.  But what really strikes me is the 3 point penalty.  What on earth did they do to get a 3 point penalty?

Can't say for sure. But other scores that I've seen for that year we would occasionally get a 1 point penalty. These usually occured with the American Flag section and someone in the Guard being at the wrong angle or something. But "3" points? Beats me... :blink:

Ahhh where to start ^0^

All from since my time (#### I'm old) :(

Grounded pit (Ya brought it, ya carry it)

Upright valves (Looks like a ####### BAND HORN - my personal gripe)

All the crap put in the grounded pit

PBS cutting back on DCI Telecast

Phantom coming in second three years in a row

Those ####### Bridgemen and their pimp coats. That one would be fun as the first year of the "Bananas" the actually played a fairly straight show.

We'd have 20+ years under our belt of people complaining about Hopkins and Garfield/CBC/Cadets. :)

I'm sure we'd have the same mix of criticism and praise for every thinkable aspect of drum corps. It would probably even be the same continuum of "fandom"...dissenters who complain about everything and seem to enjoy nothing but the past, dissenters who complain about everything yet still seem to enjoy the present, "go with the flow" people who just enjoy the show both past and present, people who enjoy the past and the present but are dubious about some future prospects, and people who enjoy the past, present, and look forward to the future.

Perhaps huge score discrepancies like this were due to the fact that there was no internet or 1-900-CAN-DRUM (I don't know, was there?) and judges couldn't see how corps were scoring from day to day, especially the day before.  They basically went in there blindly and gave scores based solely on what they saw and heard right then and there.  Granted, the tick system took away some subjectivity anyway.

:lolhit: Heh, you, youngun, really made my day... ^_^

Twern't quite like that back in the day of VFW and American Legion "small town" shows, if you get my drift. :sshh:

Tonal Bass drums --Why on earth would anyone need more than one ??

No color guard!! Well what in the name of Betsy Ross are these corps going to do to kill drum corps next?? I cant imagine no American Flag on the field!!

Carriers what the heck are carriers?? Carriers are for airplanes we use Slings!!!!

Boys in guard !! Only in the 2 all male corps!!

I didnt understand a thing they did drill wise!! It was never balanced left to right !! Looked like kids were going where ever they wanted and at one point they all went to one side of field!! How are we supposed to judge that ??

No valves !!! if they put valves on bugles i am gonna boycott!! They have seen my last dime!! It was bad enough when they put thepiston rotor thing on them. Now listen to the garbage they are playing I dont know any of it !! Next they will want trumpets!!!

Put the flag back in the cup and stop all that spinning !!!! Angles nothing but angles and lances !!!!!!! Next they will be dancing with the thing !!

Jeff